players 8

Information and updates for the Pagan Heart mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Phrozen Heart, Pagan Rainfall

No votes

Total votes: 0

boldie
Paladin

players 8

Post by boldie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:57 pm

i believe players 8 makes monsters 8 times stronger and give 8 times more exp? it sounds good for early lvling up so i wouldnt mind using it, how is it activated? and surely the 8*xp is nice but wouldnt even the weakest of beasts have a chance of killing you?

Boldie
victormink@msn.com

"there is no spoone" - the matricks

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Re: players 8

Post by IndianaMaggot » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:05 pm

how is it activated?
Simply type in /players 8 and if you want to change back just type in /players 1 or anything inbetween :) Just remember that all the monsters on the screen will remain at whatever the setting was before.
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

boldie
Paladin

Post by boldie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:51 pm

thnx man, but i cannot see much difference in gameplay? what is meant to happen when players 8 is activated :?:
victormink@msn.com

"there is no spoone" - the matricks

Verbatim
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: players 8

Post by Verbatim » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 pm

You should be able to notice the difference, unless you're doing amounts of damage far in excess of the life that monsters have...the biggest difference is that it takes a lot longer to go through any area, since you have to attack/cast a lot more to kill the monsters off. If you're just barely killing the monsters with your attacks, it can get very slow or very dangerous (depending on how much damage the monsters are doing to you) when you increase the number of players.

Make sure you see "your_name_here: players set to X" after you type the command...if you don't, you're doing it wrong....and remember, you don't see the effects right away, it's only when monsters are spawned that their life/exp is affected.

From The Arreat Summit (monster basics page):
Monster Difficulty and Experience in Multiplayer games
In multiplayer, when a Monster is created, it checks to see how many players are in the game. The Monster's Hit Points are multiplied the number of players in the game: (Life = Hit Points * Number of Players in the Game). The Monster's Base Experience will be determined by the following formula:

Experience = X * (n + 1) / 2

X = base experience
n = # of players in the game

This will determine the base experience of a Monster.
Or, in other words, in /players 8, monsters will have eight times as many hit points, and will give, according to the formula, (8 + 1) / 2 = 4.5 times as much expierience.

Note that in some mods, you get so much expieriece that this hardly makes a difference, until you reach Baal in hell diffuculty: your clvl ends up so much higher than monster mlvls, that you get next to no expierience from them, until you move to an area with higher mlvls, where you quickly level once or twice, before the diminishing returns cut off the exp as your clvl goes up. That said, once you reach the highest level monsters, it helps a lot for getting those last few levels, even in mods with crazy amounts of XP.

There are also slightly better drops from monsters in /players 8...I don't know the formula for it, but the no-drop chance for monsters is reduced, which increases the drop rates for everything.

There is one notable exception to that rule...the countess (in vanilla) drops five items, and tries to drop from her regular treasure class first...if she fails an item drop, then she drops a rune. Whenever she succeeds in making an item drop, she drops fewer runes, which makes it better to run the countess in /players 1 for the best rune drops (note that this varies in some mods, but I believe it's still set up similarly in Pagan Heart). Every other monster in the game (at least in vanilla) will drop more items (including runes) in /players 8.
Last edited by Verbatim on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Also, once you activate the players setting, the monsters that have already spawned remain what they are (i.e. monsters with normal life and experience), only the monsters that you spawn after the command get the upgraded life, xp and drops.

As for drops, I believe that the chance to drop nothing is reduced to 1/(number of players) compared to the drops on /players 1, but I'm not sure. The basic idea is that with more players, the chances of no drops are reduced (the quality of the drops remain the same though, you just get more of them).

I don't know how multiple players affect the drops from monsters like Baal though, since they almost always drop the same number of items anyway. Maybe quality is affected there.

Farseer Ulthrion

Return to “Pagan Heart”