Drop rates explained

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Welcome to the Median forums.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Re: Drop rates explained

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun May 06, 2007 10:37 am

If we use a calculator and go through "The Machine", whats a good number to come up with if we want to find a lot of good sets/uniques?

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sun May 06, 2007 11:24 am

Depends on what you define as 'good'.

What I'd do if I were you is load up your favourite character and see how long it takes you to kill, say, 500 monsters. If for example your desired item has a 1/100,000 chance to drop and you can kill 500 monsters in 10 minutes, it'll take you 2000 minutes or about 33 hours and 20 minutes to find the item.
Median XL released!

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun May 13, 2007 4:35 pm

I have a question. Does increased gold find increase your chances to find gold over other items (i.e. the uniques/sets i'm trying to find), or just increase the size of gold piles when they drop?

edit: Thank you! Good to know. :)
Last edited by DemonicAngel on Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xeraan
Champion of the Light

Post by Xeraan » Sun May 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Just the size of the gold piles.

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Tue May 15, 2007 7:58 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="322665"]Depends on what you define as 'good'.

What I'd do if I were you is load up your favourite character and see how long it takes you to kill, say, 500 monsters. If for example your desired item has a 1/100,000 chance to drop and you can kill 500 monsters in 10 minutes, it'll take you 2000 minutes or about 33 hours and 20 minutes to find the item.[/quote]

what about the nondrop? afaik the chance describes only the average number of dropped items until you find your desired item, not the average number of monsters you have to kill.

anyway : i'd say that that "good number" is as high as possible without decrease of killrate.

but thanks to laz now i got an idea of what important/not important to have mf.
[align=center] oh man - median2008 is awesome... thanks laz and his helpers...

[color=F0E68C]The New Area of Median![/color]

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Wed May 23, 2007 2:29 pm

hey

can i increase the change to drop uniques/sets/rares from sparkly chests with MF?

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed May 23, 2007 2:42 pm

Yes, but only if it doesn't have any 'special' drop. MF matters, but very very very little, and only if it rolls a magic-only drop, and only to the additional random items.
Median XL released!

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 pm

and which change to drop unique/set has an normal chest or urn?

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Fri May 25, 2007 5:53 pm

So many questions about drop rates. There should really be a topic explaining how drops work in this game, so people can help themselves. Please, Laz?
Median XL released!

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Fri May 25, 2007 6:44 pm

cause there is nothing about the general-unique chest drop

and i don' know what i have to do with div
itemratio, no prob
but in which relationship stand these things?

if i would know how to calculate, i wouldn ask

well, leastwise i know my effectiv mf

[quote=Brother Laz";p="326460"]
Please, Laz?
[/quote] ;)

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Fri May 25, 2007 6:56 pm

There is plenty about regular/unique chest drops.

Hit Ctrl+F, search for Regular chests and containers.
There's info about regular chests.
Immediately underneath that is Special Chests and then Sparkly Chests.

To see what Div is, do the same thing as before, except search for
Itemratio stats
. For Normal, Superior, Magic, Rare and Set it gives you the itemratio, div and minimum.

You just have to read it. That's what it's there for.
This thread is 'Drop Rates Explained', not 'Feel Free To Be Lazy And Ask Laz'.

franck

Post by franck » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm

they looked kinda change from cLoD, according to the formula MF is nearly useless, compare to how it's essential in cLoD. am i right ?
to be sure i should compare the formulas in the mpq's but to lazy to find a working mpq editor :P

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:56 pm

MF is as strong or weak as it always has been, but bosses - which were disproportionately affected by MF - are no longer the prime targets for item farming.
Median XL released!

franck

Post by franck » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:58 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="330087"]bosses - which were disproportionately affected by MF - are no longer the prime targets for item farming.[/quote]

you see that's perfect, exactly what was annoying about cLoD, you had to farm boss, now we can do fun crowd killing and get same items.

It make me think of something, boss are still more powerfull than other monsters, they rule over a territory, so they should have more stuff or special stuff, like saying duriel was in tal rashas tomb wich was a great sorcerer, Duriel should be dropping not more or higher item, but specific, like mana % items, spell % damage, staffs, you see my point, i know a bit the drop table for having played with them myself and it would be complicate to do it, but could be great, if it would slow new uber level being created forget what i just said :)

chrono_mos
Paladin

Post by chrono_mos » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:08 pm

it's easypeasy to make specific enemies drop certain item types, but i don't know about mods. Duriel could have a propensity to drop for staves and crystal swords, though

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 pm

I think I read somewhere that if your merc gets the kill, it's his MF + your MF. If you get the kill, only your own MF is used.

Was that true for cLoD, or am I just making it up, and is it true still in Median?

jedimaster86
Champion of the Light

Post by jedimaster86 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:52 pm

[quote=DemonicAngel";p="330147"]I think I read somewhere that if your merc gets the kill, it's his MF + your MF. If you get the kill, only your own MF is used.

Was that true for cLoD, or am I just making it up, and is it true still in Median?[/quote]
You are correct, and that still works for Median.

Borgin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Borgin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:03 pm

Hate to revive this after >a month, but there is a similar thread in GMM right now, talking about drop rates/tcs. I'm wondering, Laz- how did you achieve the "fountain" phenomena of special/sparkly chests? No one is able to figure it out!

I hope this is less of a stupid question than "omgomg l4zbr0 wh3r do igo to farm 4nni 4 my h4mm3rdin".

Thanks.

--Borgin

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Using Ctrl+F to search for 'fountain' will show you this:
Locked chests go through the drop routine twice, regular chests once. If none of the items is at least magic quality, do another chest drop, up to 10 times or until a magic item is dropped. (This is responsible for the 'garbage fountain' effect)
Sparkly chests

Our precious. We all know the 'unique fountain' phenomenon, and here is why it occurs. Sparkly chests can do 6 different things depending on a random roll:

1. (2%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item unique (unique fountain!). If none of the items are magic or better, do another chest drop and try to make every item unique. If none of the items are magic or better again, go to 6.
2. (4%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item set. If none of the items are magic or better, do another chest drop and try to make every item set. If none of the items are magic or better again, go to 6.
3. (6%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item rare. If none of the items are magic or better, do another chest drop and try to make every item rare. If none of the items are magic or better again, go to 6.
4. (20%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item magic. Repeat until at least 3 items are magic or up to 10 times.
5. (30%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item magic. Repeat until at least 2 items are magic or up to 10 times.
6. (38%): Do a regular chest drop, and try to make every item magic. Repeat until at least 1 item is magic or up to 10 times. Then it will drop up to 4 random items from the 'chest' drop with a random quality (ie. MF matters).

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Nah... Borgin and I were arguing in the modding forum about whether Laz made this up with his skills or this was an old feature in vanilla LOD. He wanted to learn this from Laz (if I were him I'd send Laz a PM, poor me) .
Stay away from ballet dancers with an attitude .

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:46 pm

Oops. I thought he wanted to know what caused it, and was too lazy to look like everyone else....

Sorry Borgin! :oops:

Borgin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Borgin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:01 pm

@Doabli: I've PMed Laz before and hardly ever get a response (usually I PM him about his signatures, though...) But I will because you make me feel like a n00b.

@DA: No big deal.

Xeraan
Champion of the Light

Post by Xeraan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm

It's the same in vanilla LoD. IIRC it's all hardcoded.

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Xeraan. Do you know any pages that explain this feature?
Stay away from ballet dancers with an attitude .

Return to “Mods By Laz”