PlugY on Windows Vista

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

Moja
Paladin

PlugY on Windows Vista

Post by Moja » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 am

Hey, I just got a new computer with Vista, and have tried to install D2, Median, and Plugy. I'm having problems (sry for another plugy problem thread, but I think this is new).

I installed a copy of D2 onto an external harddrive. Running it from the external through plugy on my laptop (windows xp) works fine. Running it from the external on my Vista computer messes up: only displays some of my characters; won't boot the characters properly; says files are missing that aren't; won't save shared stash, etc. depending on how I mess around with the files.

Reinstalling a new Plugy just creates different problems: either failing to save shared stash on save-and-exit, or failing to boot at all (library error)...

Is this a known issue with PlugY and Vista?

[Edit]: It might not be a PlugY issue at all... Launching D2/Median normally causes a bunch of my characters to disappear (not display in the character menu, even though the save files are in the folder still...)

?:(
Last edited by Moja on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: PlugY on Windows Vista

Post by kingpin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:49 am

[Edit]: It might not be a PlugY issue at all... Launching D2/Median normally causes a bunch of my characters to disappear (not display in the character menu, even though the save files are in the folder still...)
Check where SavePath in plugy.ini is set.

[SAVEPATH]
ActiveSavePathChange=1
SavePath=

EDIT:

Ah, so it seems to be compability isse/security isse.

Please post about vista problem in here. If I get time/get a comp with vista on I will look into the vista issue and maybe sort it for a future plugY version.
Last edited by kingpin on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Well I solved the problem by using the compatibility wizard to force all exe programs in my D2 folder to run using XP settings. I don't know whether it was PlugY, Game.exe, Diablo 2.exe, or whatever else, that needed to be changed, but I changed all of them and it works now... (Well at least it isn't giving errors anymore, so I assume it is :)) Doing Plugy individually didn't do it, so I'm thinking it was one of the others. When in doubt change everything, eh? ;x <sigh @ windows>

So for ppl who are switching to computers with Vista, make sure you use the compatibility wizard to force the exe's to XP mode (right click on icon, compatibility tab).

Thx for quick response.

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 pm

i had no problems when i installed plugy neither on XP nor on vista. i really wonder where all those probs came from Oo
[align=center] oh man - median2008 is awesome... thanks laz and his helpers...

[color=F0E68C]The New Area of Median![/color]

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

quigonjinn

Post by quigonjinn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:07 pm

I had heard somewhere that D2 would not run on Vista at all (regardless of PlugY) Seems things at least aren't as bad as I thought...

Enurta

Post by Enurta » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:33 pm

Had same problem with Diablo itself and not plugy...just run in compatbility mode for the win

AlienFromBeyond
Paladin

Post by AlienFromBeyond » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Weird, my D2 and PlugY worked without needing to do anything special.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Right, why is it always Vista's fault? It would seem that Vista might have less bugs than some unstable third party addon.
quigonjinn";p="370158" wrote:I had heard somewhere that D2 would not run on Vista at all (regardless of PlugY)
Keep spreading more disinformation plz. Just because it's Vista does not mean nothing is going to run on it. Let's not forget almost all of 'Vista's' compatibility problems are due to nonexistent or bugged third party drivers.

Nvidia for instance still hasn't managed to either improve the speed of their Vista drivers to the same ballpark as their XP drivers, make their CPL not crash when you have it open and your screensaver kicks in, make it so you don't wake up from sleep mode to a black screen, fix the texture memory leak that makes my 8800 GTS run Mythos at 10 fps until I alt-tab out, or make said 320 MB card not show up as having 256 MB in Windows.

No, Vista isn't the greatest thing ever - it is just another Windows operating system. But it seems many people have read somewhere that device X is Y% slower in Vista due to bugged driver Z, and now parrot that 'Vista sucks because nothing works on it'.

Intrusive DRM? Yeah. Try this: burn your awesomely protected music to a CD, rip the CD, enjoy your unfettered beats. You have reason to be sad, though, if you are one of those few crazies who pays premium for HD images and then views them on a computer screen. Sell your computer and get a HD television.

People are probably just mad because their dear beloved pet computer cannot run Vista. Then again my old computer had no way in hell of running XP and I didn't go bash XP either.

...I'm ranting.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

AlienFromBeyond
Paladin

Post by AlienFromBeyond » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 am

Brother Laz";p="370188" wrote:fix the texture memory leak that makes my 8800 GTS run Mythos at 10 fps until I alt-tab out
Uh, sure that isn't something wrong with Mythos? I run it at full settings on my 8600 with 40 FPS in combat.

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 am

@kingpin; what thread do you want me to post the solution in?

solution is basically: right click each of the exe's (D2, game, and plugy are all, i think), click properties, click "compatibility" tab, and set to XP (or lower, if you were using lower; haven't tried those though). I also set the programs to run as admin, but I'm not sure how important that was.

I think you need to do compatibility for both D2 AND plugy, since plugy had a "library" something error on trying to launch (if installed), and either
a) "stashbtns" file missing (when it wasn't) - if launching without installing
b) "could not create extended/shared save" - if installed, uninstalled, launched, and save and exited.

Launching D2 without plugy and not in compatibility mode resulted in missing character files.

@Laz: well vista told me how to fix it (with a little coaxing from the help wizard), so I don't blame it :) - hey at least its not medians fault, eh? ^_^
i actually like vista better... tho its very unfamiliar at 1st; that's just what happens when you switch OS tho
But i know it was a geniunely vista-caused compatibility issue...

Return to “Mods By Laz”