Buggy Buggy

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

Raptor

Buggy Buggy

Post by Raptor » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:13 pm

after playing a while whit the azzy this message comes up:
DiabloII exception:
Unhandled exception:
Access_Violation (c0000005)
and it comes up twice
As i saw the light the darkness inside of me grew.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Buggy Buggy

Post by jbouley » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:24 am

Not giving me much to go on, are you?
;)

That's a very general error message that can mean almost anything (just to let you know). It would be useful to know if similar circumstances surrounded these crashes (i.e. were you using the same item or skill, where you in the same area, where you fighting similar monsters, etc.).

I've not heard of the assassin being generally buggy. In fact, one of my original beta testers primarily plays assassins. (I assume azzy means assassin, anyway).
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:05 pm

new bug, crashed my paly

Assertion Failure
Expression : Item assigned a skill effect, but the skill should not do effects

think u could help as to what this is?
lvl 74 paladin, single player, finished Hell - Sanctuary in Chaos
lvl 65 amazon, single player, Act 4 Hell - Sanctuary in Chaos

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:19 am

What items do you have that either have "chance-cast" skills (cast when hit, cast on hit, cast on attacking) or that have charged skills?

Please list all the skill and what kind they are (cast on hit, charged, cast when hit, etc.).

Sounds like an item has an invalid skill on it.

I assume it happened when you either were attacking or when you got hit or tried to cast a spell.

Or, if it happened when an item dropped or when you tried to pick it up, describe the monster that was dropping or the item you tried to pick up.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:32 am

i picked up a unique jewel earlier, and decided to socket my "fleshrender" with it
apparently, one swing on a bramble hulk(big tree thing) and it froze
then, as i alt-tabbed out, it gave me that msg, and thought my pally was unusable anymore
when i restarted, i was back where i started, but before i socketed it
i think it was something with ghostly embrace or ghost hand or something, i'll repost when i find out the stats of the jewel

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:56 am

If it's Ghost Hand, that would probably explain it. Ghostly Embrace should work fine, though.

I'll sit tight and wait for you to report back on the precise skill. :)
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:34 am

exact stats are :
6% chance to cast level 5 life tap when struck
20% chance to cast level 4 ghostly embrace on striking
12% mana stolen per hit
3% life stolen per hit

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:37 am

I'll try to test that one...but I was pretty sure all the unique jewels had been bug-fixed a couple versions ago...there was one that was buggy. But this is the first report like this that I've had in a long while.
-Jeff Bouley

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:19 pm

Very odd... my pally uses that exact same jewel in his shaftstop, and it works just fine (although sometimes the ghostly embrace can be annoying rather than helpful).

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:23 pm

hi everyone, longtime no see..(french students have long holydays, aren't they :cool: )
this bug reminds me the problem of stacking "+% to cast skills" bonuses on the same item.
you know, X% to cast attack on attack, and things like that.
I don't know the stats of the "fleshrender", but if it's already have "% to cast skill", you will certainly have to sell it... :(
hope they fixed it in 1.10...
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:30 pm

(Deleted content of this post...made no sense...was thinking about something else that had nothing to do with this thread...need more sleep)

;)
Last edited by jbouley on Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:51 pm

actually, fleshripper tyrant club
but whatever, i think i understand what u mean
by having a current stat of "x% to cast lvl y spell", then having another "z% chance to cast same spell, but different lvl" may screw things up
it could have been that one of my charms were producing the effect, and the game didn't know which one to cast, therefore it crashed

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:38 pm

It's a possiblity.

I tried some unique items early on with the same skill multiple times, but at different levels (for example, 250 charges of lvl 20, then 250 charges of level 15, and so on)...and it never worked right. Didn't get crashes, but what DID happen is that only one of the skill entries appeared on the item.

Not sure if a double-dose of the same skill is causing your trouble here or not. So far, I haven't had any crashes when different items use the same skill.
-Jeff Bouley

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:36 pm

I do not think that that would happen. For skills (and levels, and charges, and whatnot) the game actually has three modifiers for each ability. Thus you get Cast on Attack A, Cast on Attack B, and Cast on Attack C. Or Bonus to Specific Skill A, Bonus to Specific Skill B, Bonus to Specific Skill C. This modifiers has a number associated with it, indicating what skill is cast or stored or given a bonus and the level of the skill and everthing else. Obviously, the formula to produce that number is complicated (and I don't know it). But it is not "nice" and when you have a jewel with "Cast on Striking A: 1665024" and put it in a weapon with "Cast on Striking A: 6544321" the game will add those 2 numbers and get something truly random. In all likelyhood, it will not cast a functional game skill and will output something like "36% chance to cast level 15 Attack on Striking". "Attack" is some sort of default for unused numbers. This may be what leads to crashs.

There is a NPC somewhere (Act 3 I think) who warns against adding +skills jewels to items that already give a bonus to a skill tab for exactly this reason. Even if you get something functional (unlikely) it will probably not be useful to your character class.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:15 pm

Yeah...pretty sure I warn against this problem in my documentation, too (not that too many people probably read the "manual," however ;))
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:27 pm

not sure if its a bug or not, but its not much of an issue either
theres one "long siege bow" that states it fires magic arrows
for some reason, it doesn't...or does that only work with normal attack?

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:19 pm

"Fires Magic Arrows" and "Fires Explosive Arrow" work only on normal attacks. This makes Kuko Shakaku very good for bow paladins, bow druids, bow necromancers, and one of my favorite SiC characters, the bow sorc. If there are any new unique bows, I would love to find out, as I have no more gold left for experiments ATM. I do, however, have a now likely useless spreadsheet of etherseeking results, so as to be able to produce most sets or uniques in 2.21A.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:05 pm

Your etherseeking results shouldn't be useless. :)

Once you are able to download 2.21B, you should find that you get the same results for uniques and sets...provided that the input item is RARE instead of magical.
Last edited by jbouley on Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:34 pm

i dunno if this is a bit late or not, but....

File Read Error
Expression : DATA\GLOBAL\MONSTERS\DI\LG\DILGlitDThth.dcc

i got that when using a zon in nitemare, and was about to enter the arreat plateau
using 2.21a though

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:38 pm

Sounds like a monster spawn giving you problems. I think that if you delete the .map file from your save folder and start a new game so that monster spawns are "re-set."

I seem to recall that worked for some people. However, save your old .map file just in case...along with backups of your other character save files...just in case you need to put them back in and revert to your old character and game state.
-Jeff Bouley

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:54 pm

btw, ironsigil, i would love to see that etherseek table
it'd be quite useful

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:45 pm

The table is below. Sorry about any formatting problems.

[spoiler]
Akara norm distribution of glass:
1---2
3---4
5---6

------------------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6
ring-----------set----------------unique-----rare
amulet--------rare-----unique-------------------------set
bow------------------------------------------unique
sword----------------------------unique-----rare
dagger-----------------------------set---------------------------unique
mace---------set
gloves----------------------------------------set------unique-----rare
boots--------unique
armor------------------set------------------unique
shield ring---set
axe----------unique
shield------------------------------set--------------------------unique
spear/jav---------------set-------------------unique
helm------------------unique---------[/spoiler]

Gubbinz

Post by Gubbinz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:55 pm

i noticed that the bow was missing a "set" column
did u not have enough gold at the time of editing? or did u not find one?
same goes for swords, boots, axes, and helms

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:46 am

Sets would be much harder to test because so many fewer items have set versions, whereas most have unique versions. I imagine that he just hasn't happened upon the right items to get a "hit" yet.
-Jeff Bouley

IronSigil

Post by IronSigil » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:35 am

Well, both of you are right. I ran out of gold, and I couldn't tell for most items. Most of the set glasses I did find correspond to some set I was trying to assemble, like the sacraficial knife from the ghoul hunter set, or hawkflight glaive, or all of those insanely cool set shielding rings. Incidentally, if someone knows the base items for the Helm of Heracles (from might of heroes) or Touching the Stars (from Wizard King's Arcanum), I would appreciate it.

Return to “Arcanum Archives”