Questions about SiC for 1.09

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

Drapper

Re: So, what the hell *IS* Jeff gonna do about SiC for 1.10?

Post by Drapper » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:28 pm

Excuse me, I'm new, what I have to do with ruined bag?
Then the 2.21 version is the last version?
Please answer me, thanks

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:08 am

Version 2.21b of Sanctuary in Chaos is indeed the final version that will ever be made for Diablo 2 patch 1.09.

I haven't yet decided whether SiC for patch 1.10 will be called SiC v 3.0...or whether it will be a version 1 with the name SiC-X or something like that. I'm sure I'll figure it out by the time my serious work begins. ;)

As for ruined bags...well, once you've ruined the bag, there is nothing that can be done...the contents have spilled out into an extradimensional hole that tranfers them back to the vault where they were held before being placed in the courier sack for transport. If you use the wrong blade to open a sack, you will get a ruined sack and there's nothing you can do with it. Unlike debris, which does have some small use if you really want to put it to work...the ruined bags are worthless.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:32 am

Excuse me again, what can I do with ancient engraved bowl and with fine wine?
Thanks a lot for your answer

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:41 pm

finally I've collected all items of a set, then qhat can I do with these?
Please answer me

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:37 pm

First off, if you have more questions about the current mod and playing it, you should have started a new thread instead of hijacking the thread on SiC for 1.10, which is a whole new project ;).

Also, if no one has yet responded to your post, simply edit the post and add your new questions instead of posting multiple times in a row.

Now, on to your questions:

If you want to know what the recipes and their ingredients are, simply download the Cube recipe spoiler document from my site at:
http://www.planetdiablo.com/sic/

There are a few recipes that involve the wine and the engraved bowl...if you don't want to use the items for those recipes, you can sell them for gold instead.

As for your set question, I'm not sure what you mean. Collecting an entire set (I assume you mean sets as in Arctic Gear, Civerb's Vestements, Immortal King, etc. etc.), you equip the items and get full set magic bonuses with all of them equipped, or partial extra bonuses if only some items are equipped. If you're referring to something else in terms of "set" other than the traditional Diablo 2 set or my new set items, then you will need to clarify.

I've split this stuff off from the SiC for 1.10 thread. Don't post general questions about SiC for 1.09 in the SiC for 1.10 thread...that thread is for me to make announcements and to get feedback on SiC for patch 1.10. :) To view the thread on SiC for 1.10, go here: viewtopic.php?t=21673
Last edited by jbouley on Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Drapper

Re: Questions about SiC for 1.09

Post by Drapper » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:58 pm

Thanks but I don't know how work a forum,I've downloaded the file with the recipes and the only thing I haven't found is the platinum sovereigns and I don't know what can I do with it.
What is then difference between 1.09 and 1.10?
Last edited by Drapper on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:27 am

Patch 1.09 and patch 1.10 for Diablo 2 are different in that in 1.10 Blizzard added some new abilities for items (the Trang-Oul set for necros will allow the necromancer to morph into vampire form when the set is complete, for example).

In addition, patch 1.10 allows modders to do a lot of things that were difficult to do in 1.09 without hard-core coding skills...or that were damn near impossible.

Platinum sovereigns? I don't think they have use in any recipes...as far as I know, those are simply treasure items to be sold to vendors for gold. Some items in the game are simply that: treasure that you find and sell.
-Jeff Bouley

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:58 am

Now I've installed the Diablo II patch 1.10 but I'm not able to use power item mod 1.10 and power item overdrive and I don't know why, please answer me, thanks.
Last edited by Drapper on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:15 pm

You might want to reinstall Diablo II and run the 1.10 patch again.

To date, I've only had one other person say that Power Item: Overdrive wouldn't work for them...and a reinstall of D2 and a re-running of the patch updater seemed to solve the problem in that case.
-Jeff Bouley

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:11 pm

But the power item doesn't work with SiC?

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:57 pm

They're two separate mods. You can run SiC or you can run Power Item, but not both.

Also, SiC right now is only for patch 1.09...I haven't finished the patch 1.10 version.

And the original Power Item mod is for 1.09, whereas Power Item: Overdrive is for patch 1.10.

But in any case, I don't know of any mods for D2 that can be run at the same time...certainly none of my mods can.
-Jeff Bouley

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:26 pm

But with the power item overdrive you find easily "items that are part of a set"?

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:49 pm

It's easier to complete sets than it is in unmodded D2, but I don't know if that necessarily means "easy."

Monsters (esp. unique and superunique ones) are more likely to drop such items, and there are recipes to create set, rare and unique items if you have the proper ingredients.

The Power Item mods aren't "give-away" mods like some drop mods. You won't get tons upon tons of items...and it may take time to get the items needed for a recipe or to find the set items, runes, etc. that you need...but it's a heck of a lot more reasonable than in normal D2.

Better yet, your characters and items will still work in normal D2 if you play the Power Item mod. The only thing you have to remember is to clear out the "extra" cube, stash and inventory slots that don't exist in normal D2, before you try to bring your character back into normal D2.

Of course, I imagine that a lot of people who play the Power Item mod don't feel a need to bring the character back into unmodded D2 because aside from the new recipes and better treasure drops and the expanded storage space, it plays just like normal D2 anyway. ;)

EDIT: If you're looking to get complete sets, you might want to consider the "Big Set-up" mod by Spiral Simian (which is for 1.09...I don't know if he ever made a version for patch 1.10). In that mod, sets are very easy to complete. The higher-level ones cannot be found until later in the game, but sets drops like crazy in that mod.
Last edited by jbouley on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:16 pm

What you mean with this (and there are recipes to create set)?
I' ve taught that the effect of a set is in wearing all the items.
P.S. Excuse me for my orrible english but I'm italian

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:21 am

If you look at the readme file for the Power Item: Overdrive mod, you will see that there are recipes listed.

These recipes are (like any other recipe in D2) items that you put together in the Horadric Cube, then hit the transmute button to create a new item.

So, if you combine, for example, a long sword with the right ingredients in the cube in the Power Item mod, you can get the set version of the longsword (which, if I recall, is in the Clegaw's set).

Likewise, there are Cube recipes for making items in their unique versions...or even making rare items.

So, my comments were to tell you that if you are having trouble finding a set item, you can simply create that set item if you can find all the ingredients you need to make it instead.

I hope that was more clear. But if you need me to explain further, I can try. Sadly, my Italian would be much, much, much worse than your English (since I don't know more than a few words), so I cannot converse in your native tongue. :(
-Jeff Bouley

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:39 am

Now I think I've understood all.
Ah, last thing, there isn't recipes to make jewels?'Cause it's difficult to find jewel in the game.
Thanks
Last edited by Drapper on Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:40 pm

I don't think there are any recipes like that in the Power Item mods.

However, jewels should drop more often than in normal D2.

And, if you play the SiC mod, you can buy them from several vendors in the game.
-Jeff Bouley

ThresholdRPG
Paladin

Post by ThresholdRPG » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:25 am

I can vouch for the fact that the drop rates in Power Item: Overdrive are truly sublime.

"Phat lewts" are not spewing out of every orafice of every monster, but that wouldn't be very fun.

What makes it fun is that you don't feel like you have to do mindless "runs" to get items you want. If you just play the game normally- beating quests, clearing areas, etc. - you will find excellent things.

That is what I like about it and that is the way I think D2 should be played. Loading up game after game after game to kill Pindle and Baal is just too artificial and tedious to me.
-Aristotle @ Threshold RPG

Threshold RPG - Our World, Your Imagination

http://www.thresholdrpg.com

Malifrax
Champion of the Light

Post by Malifrax » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:24 pm

I agree, Diablo 2 is much more fun if I can play through the game and get quality equipment without having to do item runs. Being given the items easily through cheesy crafting recipes or unbalancing drops, however, often times makes the game more boring than if it were played without mods. Unfortunately a lot of mod makers are overzealous about increasing drop rates and I lose interest in their mods quickly. It's a relief to see that JBouley has made drop rates more reasonable but not overpowering, and added some fair item upgrade recipes for those of us who don't have the time or patience to do X number of boss runs. I would love to see other mod makers follow suit instead of taking recipes and item drop rates to the extreme.
Last edited by Malifrax on Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You talk to the arena master.
"Ye have won more fights than anybody else."
"Nobody is betting against ye any longer and we believe, that ye art invincible."
"Sorry, no more fights."

Drapper

Post by Drapper » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:23 pm

I'm very happy to see that other people agree with me that SiC and poweritem mods are wonderful

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:02 pm

Now I feel bad for sometimes speaking of my own Power Item mods as being too simplistic. :oops:

I always thought of the Power Item mod and Power Item: Overdrive mod as being basic drop mods...it never occurred to me that they actually served a strong purpose in terms of correcting some inadequacies of D2...and I often forget that what most people think of as drop mods just give away everything for free.

Maybe I should start thinking of those mod more as re-balance mods instead of drop mods. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad to see that my relatively small amount of work in the Power Item mods actually produced something that people find useful. :mrgreen:
-Jeff Bouley

ThresholdRPG
Paladin

Post by ThresholdRPG » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:48 am

jbouley";p="166925" wrote: Maybe I should start thinking of those mod more as re-balance mods instead of drop mods. ;)
I definitely think you should consider them such and definitely think of such mods as more than just simplistic.

I personally group mods into three categories:

Total Conversions (like V&K, SiC, etc.), Advanced Concept Mods (like Ancestral Recall), and EGP (Enhanced Game Play) mods.

Thus, I personally classify Power Item: Overdrive as an EGP mods. I think this term is a lot better than "drop mod" since as you mentioned, "drop mods" are often like glorified trainers. :) Coincidentally, EGP is what I named my first released mod back in 1.08 days.

Also, the second tutorial I ever had hosted here was on fixing/rebalancing rune drops. It is here: http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~phrozenkee ... edrops.php

I think this kind of work is extremely valuable both to players AND other mod makers.

The standard game play of Diablo 2 is obviously very good. If it weren't, the game wouldn't be such a smash success. While total converstion style mods are AWESOME, a lot of times people want to play normal D2 with the normal areas and the normal story line. What they don't want to do is have to engage in boring, weird behavior like doing Pindleskin runs just to complete a set.

The work done by EGP type mod makers can really help the mod makers working on total conversion mods. They can play EGP-type mods and learn what sorts of things people find tedious about the stock game and (with permission of course!) do the same or similar things in their total conversion mods.

Thus, EGP-style mods like Overdrive are absolutely AMAZING and are exceptionally valuable to the modding community.
Last edited by ThresholdRPG on Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Aristotle @ Threshold RPG

Threshold RPG - Our World, Your Imagination

http://www.thresholdrpg.com

Return to “Arcanum Archives”