Socketing recipes?

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

Ashurbanipal

Socketing recipes?

Post by Ashurbanipal » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:35 pm

I know an item cannot take as many sockets as it occupies inventory spaces (can't have more than 2 in a set item, 5 in a magic, 3 in a unique or rare, etc).

My problem is that I keep getting the incorrect number of sockets for the items I am trying to morph (e.g., just tried to put 4 sockets on a magic item by following the 4 socket magic item recipe, and got only 1 socket).

At first I thought this was due to the fact that I was 'cheating' by using fire opals instead of actual gems. But I have since used perfect diamonds etc, and the recipes still returned 1 socket when it was supposed to return 2-3 more. I know my recipes aren't wrong; I checked and they agree with the sticky thread:

viewtopic.php?t=16871

I checked here as well:

http://www.planetdiablo.com/sic/sockets-armor.htm

And this says e.g. a Charmed Circlet can take 5 sockets (sic, its only a 4 inventory-space object?)

So what am I doing wrong? Are items set to receive only a certain number of sockets when they are generated and dropped?

Also, I upgraded a blue gem to perfect (in the shape of a teardrop) but the label did not change to perfect and it cannot be used as a perfect in a recipe. Have the blue gems been given extra stages for upgrade?

Cheers,
--Ashurbanipal
"Some people are so far behind in the race that they actually believe they are leading."

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Socketing recipes?

Post by jbouley » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:09 am

I'm not sure why you're getting the wrong number of sockets. I don't think anyone else has reported this problem. Is it just with the charmed circlet, or have you had similar problems with other items instead?

As for your "perfect" blue gem...the teardrop shaped one isn't the perfect variety of that stone. You can tell because if it was perfect it would display as a perfect gem instead of displaying as an upgradeable gem. The perfect version of the blue gem (the moonstones) looks sort of like two gems stacked, and is a slightly different shade of blue.

Why? Well, I wanted one of the other original sapphire graphics for another item, and decided to bump all the other graphics down one notch, and make a new graphic for the perfect variety.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Ashurbanipal

Post by Ashurbanipal » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:30 pm

jbouley";p="178941" wrote:I'm not sure why you're getting the wrong number of sockets. I don't think anyone else has reported this problem. Is it just with the charmed circlet, or have you had similar problems with other items instead?
Hey Jeff,

Nope, I had the same thing happen repeatedly with various uniques and set items -- they only yield one socket as a general rule. :?:

(BTW: Can you confirm whether the perfect fire opals can be used in recipes? I figured this was the main reason they were available in shops, and why they have less upgrade stages to get to 'perfect' quality).

jbouley";p="178941" wrote:As for your "perfect" blue gem...the teardrop shaped one isn't the perfect variety of that stone. You can tell because if it was perfect it would display as a perfect gem instead of displaying as an upgradeable gem. The perfect version of the blue gem (the moonstones) looks sort of like two gems stacked, and is a slightly different shade of blue.
So then it does indeed have an extra upgrade stage? Three of the stones that are one place removed from perfect in vanilla D2 (the ones that are circular-octagonal shaped) produced the gem I am talking about. But you're right that it definitely does not have the new graphic you're describing.

BTW2: I think the idea of scrolls dropping with random quotes is a great idea -- I've been collecting quotes for ages, so if you're interested I could send you a long list (primarily from the ancient world to fit in with D2?) that you could select from for incorporation into SiC for 1.10?

Cheers,
--Ashurbanipal
"Some people are so far behind in the race that they actually believe they are leading."

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:35 pm

I really don't know what to tell you with regard to the socketing problem. If you are following the recipes precisely and the items are allowed to have more than one socket (and almost all items in the mod can have more than one, at least), you should get multiple sockets. It worked for me in testing, and I've had no reports back of major recipe problems since the last release.

The moonstones have the same number of levels as the other D2-like gems (sunstones, soulstones, amethysts, etc.). But one of the graphics was removed from the lineup (either chipped or flawed graphic, I think). I'm still a bit confused by what you're describing...you say that the perfect one doesn't have the new graphic I'm describing? It should, and it does when I access the mod. The perfect moonstone is definitely NOT a standard D2 graphic...but as I noted before, the best indicator of perfection is whether the stone displays with text saying it's perfect (as opposed to upgradeable). I did that precisely so that people would know when they had reached the highest upgrade level, since the names of the gems don't themselves indicate the quality level...at least no precisely.

Perfect fire opals should work like any other perfect gem. They simply have fewer upgrade levels in part because I only had three graphics that looked like they went together, and I didn't see why every gem had to have five different levels. ;)

If you would like to e-mail me your list of ancient quotes, that would be fine. I might be able to use them in the next mod...assuming life ever gives me time to work on it.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

BJ

Post by BJ » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:19 pm

Hmmm... tool, pgem, magic item, 3 magic stones?
And did you add or leave the two runes?

Well, have not tried in a while.

Return to “Arcanum Archives”