Please fix Nihlathak.

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

Max-Violence
Paladin
Location: ZzzzZZZzzzzzzZ?ZZzzzzZ?Zzzzzzzz?...zzzzzzz?zzzZZZzzz...

Please fix Nihlathak.

Post by Max-Violence » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:40 am

OK so in Hell difficulty, the big N casted his Corpse Explosion on an enemy that wasn't even on screen (running @ 800x600) and my sorc, with 1200 life, 1100 mana and a 46% Energy Shield, died.

Please fix that.

Killing Nih is almost completely pointless, especially for us sorcs. The afterburn on my Hammers of God killed him while I was dead, so I didn't even get any EXP (I'm sure I didn't get any EXP because I died like 74 times beforehand, so my EXP bar was comletely empty.).

I know this should've gone in an existing "suggestions for 2.2" thread, but I wanted to make SURE you (JB) saw this plea for help :mrgreen:

If Nihlathak was this fun, I'm thinkin' the Ancients (Larry, Curly, and Moe) are gonna be a blast...
SiC 2.21 is out finally! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Please fix Nihlathak.

Post by jbouley » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:45 am

Maybe I boosted the level of his CE attack too much. I'll look into that to see if I raised it and if so....lower it back down a bit.

Oh, and give my regards to the "Three Stooges" when you get to them. ;)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Caimbuel

Post by Caimbuel » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:24 pm

Hello, first post here.. but anyway Nihlathak was about 4 hours of work for my 62 barbarian and his 2 swords.

I had to turn all the bodies to potions and still died 20 some times as the old boy was physically immune :x As far as the 3 stooges they died so fast I was supprised.. Guess they were not immune to my swords :) My barbarian uses 2 nightmare great swords with Silence and Honor.

If anything Hell diffaculty is way to easy or way to hard. I can hit some named mobs 100 to 300 times before they die when physically immune, and 3 hit max if not immune. Thats are real differance.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:04 am

I'm guessing that you're still playing 2.1

Hopefully, some folks who are testing the beta of 2.2 can let me know if I got the resists better balanced this time around....hopefully before I finalize 2.2 this week or next week.

Physical immunity in Hell will not be so common in 2.2...100% PI for so many monsters was a mistake and not something I intended
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Caimbuel

Post by Caimbuel » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:54 am

Jeff, I love the mod, dont get me wrong. It adds alot of new and interesting things to the game that got me back into D2. I was just commenting party so Max-Violence would know he was not the only one to have a hard time with the bugger.

As far as 2.2 it sounds great but I want to hold off downloading it so I can get a fresh look and be suprised at what the sets do :) Keep up the great work it is appreciated.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:19 am

Oh, don't worry, I didn't misunderstand you. I just wanted to assure people I am on top of at least some of the issues so that they don't wonder.

Also gently prodding my beta testers to let me know if I got the Hell resists OK before I go public.

:)
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

about Nihlathak.

Post by DreamBreaker » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:01 pm

hello tere! happy new year etc.. :D
About Nihlathak, i don't think reducing his corpse explosion lvl will change anything, as far as its damages are a % of the corpse hp instead of a fixed value.
the problem is the amount of hp of monsters....
isn't it possible to exchange this spell whith the poison explosion or another?
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm

Changes his spells would be beyond my personal knowledge level...and would be tricky even if I knew how to edit a .dll file.

However, I might be able to reduce the chances of him casting it (I think), and possibly change the monsters that spawn around him in...maybe by reducing the hit points in hell somewhat.
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:53 pm

Naw, don't lower the HP of the baddies. That'd make the rest of the act too easy (personally, I thought it was a little on the easy side to begin with, as a sorc). Swapping CE with PE would be a good idea, as would lowering Nih's chance to cast CE if you can't change the skill.

And as luck would have it, the Ancients weren't too bad after all. I got lucky and none of 'em were Lightning Enchanted :D

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:13 am

Another possibility would be to increase the resists of the monsters that spawn around him...that would artificially increase their HPs to compensate if I lower them to tame the CE.

Again, I really don't think I'll be able to change his skill, though if I have time I'll try. I think decreasing his chances of casting it will be better, assuming that's handled in his AI params.
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:51 am

jbouley" wrote:Another possibility would be to increase the resists of the monsters that spawn around him...that would artificially increase their HPs to compensate if I lower them to tame the CE.
Again, wouldn't that effect those same mosters elsewhere in the act? I suppose you could create "clone" versions of the monsters that spawn in that area, and make sure they ONLY spawn in THAT area (the three levels of Nih's temple)
JB" wrote:Again, I really don't think I'll be able to change his skill, though if I have time I'll try.
That'd be the best solution, IMO.
JB" wrote:I think decreasing his chances of casting it will be better, assuming that's handled in his AI params.
I suppose that would be the "if all else fails" solution, eh? ;)

By lowering the level of the spell, it would be up to the player to "dodge" the corpses of the dead to avoid the wrath of CE, which would be kinda cool.

EDIT: BTW, JB, any ETA on the non-beta of 2.2? No rush, just curious.
Last edited by Max-Violence on Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caimbuel

Post by Caimbuel » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:35 pm

Ok, I have been thinking about Nihlathak and honestly I am not sure to many changes are needed. He is a bugger but for some classes he is the only person besides the Big Bhall that I cant run upto and just swing away till dead. Nihlathak and the FREEKING Oblivion Knights are the only things that really scare my barbarian.

That brings me to my second question. With the current barbarian set up did you intend for a barbarian to litterally have with items 90% resists in all areas?? Even if I take off 1 of my swords that gives me 75% to all resists they are still capped. I made you seasonal rune word and it looks pretty, However I dont think I will ever use it unless it's lvl gets WAY lower. I am 65 in act 5 hell dif and things are rough but I will figure out a way to survive :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:25 am

For some reason, I'm not quite understanding your barbarian question. Not sure if words are missing or pieces of my own brain. :cobra:

Release of 2.2 tentatively scheduled for end of this coming week. I'm hoping to get files updated over the weekend. Release a quick updated beta for testers to assess the altered set items, and then hopefully make the last changes by no later than Friday. I hope. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:23 am

I think Caimbuel is saying that, with the Barb's Natural Resistance and some items, it's easy to get 90 resist all in Hell difficulty.

Not sure, tho. My brain is a lil' :n:

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:00 pm

Well, if that's the case, I guess I won't worry much. The poor barb does have to wade through all those monsters in hand-to-hand, and since Whirlwind is interruptible in my mod, resists probably come in handy. ;)
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:05 pm

By the way, what sort off damages does the corpse explosion infflict?
Magical of physiqual?
I'm just a french fan..

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:14 pm

Physical or fire, I suspect. I've never really looked at it, and I'm pretty sure I never changed it...it should be whatever it always was in normal D2. I don't think it's magical damage, though.
-Jeff Bouley

SanSahanSan

Post by SanSahanSan » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:11 pm

It's neither fire nor physical nor magic... Thus speaks an assassin playing with a necromancer :) - Corpse Explosion affects EVERYTHING no matter what their immunities are. That's what makes Nihlathak so dangerous to almost all classes.

Nihlathak in hell is supposed to be able to do these things like hit for more than 1200 with a CE -offscreen... I really don't think there should be much of a change. Even an assassin on speed only has a 50/50 chance of hitting him before he hits a CE.

A sorc has range greater than his (Hydra on the edge of the screen for example) and a necro can CE the corpses himself. He's supposed to be extremely dangerous - just be glad he doesn't have very many hitpoints :)
To say that you would prevent someone from doing something merely means that you would prefer them to find an alternative method for doing it.

BJ

Post by BJ » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:45 pm

I think the corpse explosion supposed to be half fire, half physical... read it somewhere in the lurker guides

We can actually test it out, if you need to. Etherseek vampire gaze and fill up 4 tomb charms with 'perf. rubies' and the runes.

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:09 pm

half fire half physical...humm...I hope you're right....'cause my sorc is already immune-and-absorb fire :mrgreen:
For the physiqual, maybe i should continu collecting "reducing%of damages" item (i'm only at 20% reduction).
the cocoon will finish the job...
arf arf arf
I'm just a french fan..

BJ

Post by BJ » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:21 pm

If you haven't already, get the iron jang bong staff as a switch. Immunity to lightning as well. beats all th lightning enchanted monsters. :)
Last edited by BJ on Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:23 am

Corpse explosion is indeed 50% Fire/50% Physical. You need BOTH types of resistances to shrug off the hit. Make note of the fact that Fire Absorb won't help as much as it should if you have full health. The "absorb" computation is finished up prior to the damage being dealt, so if you're at full health, absorb is worth little more than resistance. If you're injured, though, absorb is worth twice its weight in straight-up resistance. Keep that in mind when you're designing your defenses, and also remember that physical resistance is vastly more important for this particular situation (Nihlathak).
Your mileage may vary, offer not valid in New Jersey.

-Logan Zaranthan
Because I can.
Don't fear the reaper, fear the wrath of the lurker.

Caimbuel

Post by Caimbuel » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:35 am

Sorry for the delay in posting Jeff. My point was that with thee nice gear and the ability to socket anything you want it si so easy for my barbarian to just flat out get surrounded by 50+ mobs and swing away. With my life drain and insaine damage they all die so quick. Only time this does not happen is when they are physically immune. So if you remove the PI from the mass number of mobs in hell diff what is to keep it challenging for a barb that can deal out 2K in damage in each hand with a 40% life drain and +25 mana after each kill :?:

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:52 pm

I'll have to see what I can work out on that front.

I still have some high physical resistances...and I can make a few more monsters immune to lifesteal...but as always, the balancing act will be difficult. I'll try to keep it challenging for the barb if at all possible.
:)
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin

Post by Max-Violence » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:31 am

So JB, what'd you do to Nihlathak in 2.2?

Return to “Arcanum Archives”