Ask the Experts

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: Metropolis Man, tsuru, AlphA - The Real One, Perfect Cell

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Re: Ask the Experts

Post by thepsycho2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:41 pm

That's what I thought. Thanks Stabby.

I'll have -80% F/C/L on my Conviction when I am able to socket the Knowledgeable at 67. And I have -25% cold resist, which kinda stinks for a setup like this. If I had a few icestorm shards I'd probably be in my comfort zone (over -33%). But the last time I used AS30 (I found it) to make a unique jewel I get a Smiiiff Stone. Otherwise it's Jindujun.
Diary, Info, Trading List from Bastige
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)
Became an Arch-Angel: 04/08/2012 I still don't see any wings.
Current highest character: Literal (94) Amazon

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:56 am

I'm just trying to remove defensive aura tab from a rare amy, but the recipe seems broken.

Magic Eraser (Page 9) + Amulet with +2 def auras + chipped diamond doesn't cube..

Can anybody confirm this?

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 am

Firesnake" wrote:I'm just trying to remove defensive aura tab from a rare amy, but the recipe seems broken.

Magic Eraser (Page 9) + Amulet with +2 def auras + chipped diamond doesn't cube..

Can anybody confirm this?
Actually, it seems I made a mistake...
I had OFFensive auras, not DEFensive auras on my ammy, so obviously the defensive auras recipe wouldn't work.

However, I did find an error in cubemain.txt (two actually), which is below... but it's for the community patch version and DOES NOT appear to be in the R6D version.

================================================================================

Yeah.. Cubemain has an error, it's trying to remove the wrong tab ID (two 9s, no 10).
I'll post a fix here in a few, once I grab a clean R6D (I'm using the community patch) and instructions on how to fix it.

Scroll down to line #18541 of cubemain.txt
Find the line that starts with "Eraser Pal"
Change the two "me6" to "me7"
After "skilltab" change the "9" to a "10"

Code: Select all

Eraser Pal	1			100					3	"weap,nru"	me6	gcw					"useitem,rem"				skilltab		10	-7	-7																					me6																													gcw																													0
Verification of the mistakes:
The recipes are grouped by page for each class (Asn, Sor, Dru, Ama, Pal, Bar, Nec, then repeats for the next page). It says "me6" but is clearly in the "me7" group, and a "me6" already exists for the Pal class in the "me6" group.
All other groupings of recipes (armo and misc) show 9, 10, 11 as skilltabs, #18541's group has 9,9,11.

I don't THINK that's the issue (ammy should be under "misc" not "weap") but that's the only mistake I can find.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 pm

I looked at the file myself. Unfortunately changing it won't help me since the place I play uses its own textfile... :/

CraftMatic

Post by CraftMatic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm building my first wind druid (all magic items) and was wondering what would be the best merc for him and what kind of auras I should load him up with. Thanks in advance.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:32 pm

CraftMatic" wrote:I'm building my first wind druid (all magic items) and was wondering what would be the best merc for him and what kind of auras I should load him up with. Thanks in advance.
Act 5 Offensive Barb, any difficulty, for Ancient's Call to break Magic Immune.
As for Auras, once you get to NM Act 3 get Teleport oskill (or even charges) item to tele in and out of town near Alkior, which refreshes his shop, and buy a Meditation Aura on Equip (of Aurora) circlet for either your or your merc. It really helps with mana use and gives FCR.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:39 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:
CraftMatic" wrote:I'm building my first wind druid (all magic items) and was wondering what would be the best merc for him and what kind of auras I should load him up with. Thanks in advance.
Act 5 Offensive Barb, any difficulty, for Ancient's Call to break Magic Immune.
As for Auras, once you get to NM Act 3 get Teleport oskill (or even charges) item to tele in and out of town near Alkior, which refreshes his shop, and buy a Meditation Aura on Equip (of Aurora) circlet for either your or your merc. It really helps with mana use and gives FCR.
If he's not using Creeping Doom and just going for Tornado you can just give your merc a ring or weapon that has the chance to cast Amplify Damage on striking. Lowering physical resistance = increased damage from wind. I also agree with Stabby, spamming tornadoes sucks up your mana pool. Meditation aura on equip helps that.

For you, items with FCR, +mana and +life will help you out a lot.
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 pm

even tho i'm not a frequent poster anymore let me still give you some nice piece of advice.

Get Creeping Doom as an Oskill! This for sure is the BEST oskill in the game (stun is just amazing) and with all your skillforgings and tabforgings you will even get a decent damage without wasting a skillpoint! Whenever you build an elementary druid, for me this oskill is a must have as it increases your survivability a lot.
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:42 pm

thepsycho2" wrote:
Stabby_McTwist" wrote:If he's not using Creeping Doom and just going for Tornado you can just give your merc a ring or weapon that has the chance to cast Amplify Damage on striking. Lowering physical resistance = increased damage from wind.
Yeah, I dunno why I said Magic damage... I thought he was talking about Creeping Doom.

Anyway, Anyone know about Merc attacks speeds? I'm thinking of just using CtC Amp Damage on my Mercs weapon, but I'd like to max his attack speed to increase procs/min.
I'm curious if we can use the Attack Speed Calc to do it: http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/d2asc_r6.php

If I can get fast enough attack speed, I might just go for a set up similar to my Zon's Merc (Act 2 Aura Merc with Damage Reduction gear) but Meditation rather than Fanaticism.

Angryfish

Post by Angryfish » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:32 am

Hey guys I'm newer to Eastern Sun and am trying to complete my first character. If anyone would trade me a noir'[s anticipation (titania green crown) I would be willing to trade pretty much anything I have. I don't know what's worth what but I'm looking for some help!

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Stabby_McTwist" wrote: Anyway, Anyone know about Merc attacks speeds? I'm thinking of just using CtC Amp Damage on my Mercs weapon, but I'd like to max his attack speed to increase procs/min.
I'm curious if we can use the Attack Speed Calc to do it: http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/d2asc_r6.php
If the attack speeds haven't been changed you can check here: http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/wea ... ng=english

Just compare the WSM of the weapons.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Question! I am starting a glacial spike sorceress. I made her a "Winter" (Fu Yu) Heavenly Stone (lv. req. 44), the ArchDimeron helm (using a Death Mask for low strength req), and re-forged my Druid's jewels into Cold skill-tab jewels for the sorceress. The only thing missing on my setup is a pair of boots.

Belt: Rumour of Pain stolen from my WF/AB druid (-13% Cold res)
Gloves: possibly Runefusion
Ring1: Zodiac Band
Ring2: either Elemental Jewel or a tab-rolled sorc ring
Amulet: currently LoD Eye of Etlich (Amulet II)
Armor: Work up to an Eternal Reign archmage robe
Shield: Something that can give +1 all skills and resists
Boots: ???

What should I use for the boots?

OTT

Post by OTT » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:00 pm

thepsycho2" wrote:What should I use for the boots?
Chillcobble might be a good pair to start with.
Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:24 pm

OTT" wrote:
I probably don't have any other choice but to use Chillcobble.

OTT

Post by OTT » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:41 pm

thepsycho2" wrote:
OTT" wrote:
I probably don't have any other choice but to use Chillcobble.
Short of luck with Rares or Crafting I didn't see much that would be better. But I'm getting ready to start a cold sorc, so please update if you do find or think of something better.
Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Rumour of Pain might beat Chillcobble... but you need two elixirs and the right scroll. It has +1 all skills and supports your backup element too.

Or shop magic boots with +x oak sage (very practical!) and add two sockets. That will give you a total of +3 to your skills.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Seeing oskill Oak Sage won't be that difficult (required skill level is 6) I might grab rare demonhide boots, reroll them to 75, then start rerolling until I get it. It might actually be cheaper to use the 1 flawless recipe since I'd only be able to punch one socket in the boots. I could use two, and try for a pair with oak and two sockets but I don't want to waste that many resources :(

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:13 am

Just buy magic ones, they always get 2 sockets. Rerolling rares is way more tedious and getting 2 sockets is only possible by rolling the prefix. If you get an oak sage every 100 rolls and 2 sockets every 80 rolls you'll see both every 8.000 rolls, good luck! A donut will always only ad one socket as well as larzuk.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Well, I'll do that then. But I am not going to teleport like crazy trying to do this until I know the ilvl. :P (I am guessing 40+?)

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 pm

ilvl 56, lvlreq 42

Do it in nightmare to get boots with that lvl req or do it in hell act 1 at Charsi to get lvlreq of 45. They will all get 2 sockets.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Alright. Sounds like it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Oak will help out quite a bit. Thanks! :)

EDIT: ..once I get myself off of these -13% Chillcobbles. I really wish I had some icestorm shards :( !

EDIT 2: Not really liking this setup. Considering I do have enough to make her worthwhile, and it seems viable enough, against bosses it doesn't seem to work out for me. Maybe it's because I'm having a bad day?

I'm about to make a Paladin just for the heck of it I cannot remember the last time I made a paladin. I might go ahead and try again on a priest (holy bolt + protection from evil) since I have the lunar charm. :D My setup would be (now that I have it):

Weapon: "White" (Shi Ro I) scepter (poss. elite)
Shield: Something with +res, +1 all skills and good block
Armor: "Eternal Reign"
Helm: Lunar Charm
Belt: Harness of the Gods
Boots: Possibly crafted
Gloves: I'll possibly use gloves of nor tirai (20% fcr)
Ring2: Elemental Jewel
Amulet: Beads of the Guardian

If I use a veteran's charm, it will have Malice and be set to +1 Conviction until 50, where I'll switch Malice with Harmony (Wa Se I). Again I forgot Lunar Charm has RIP mod. :P

This will be mostly an all-Energy build, since I will use just enough strength and have strength charms to let me wield my weapon (Celestial Scepter, 103 strength, 65 dex :( ). I'll have 1 point Meditation, since I don't have the blue aura stone anymore. I don't want to downgrade my Wo to use Insight either.

EDIT 3: Needing more FCR in the build, also decided on the belt.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:18 pm

You might look for something with a Pierce Flesh & Bone oskill. That will help a lot! Also an offensive Barb Merc with his ancient's call.

You can shop helms with lvl x Meditation when equipped (up to lvl 12) and just give them to your merc

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 pm

I'd rather have the PF&B spell because whenever I use an act2/5 merc, he always gets in the way of my holy bolts. So instead of damaging the enemy, I'm healing my merc. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

And having the Meditation aura means I can use it "on demand" (facing mana burn monsters? might as well. Bosses? Yeah). Sure, it may take up three skill points, but at least I have a vet's charm that I can use Conviction on (saves four).

Anyhow, this is what I am thinking:

28-30 Holy Bolt
20 Fist of the Heavens
30 Protection From Evil
25 Blessed Hammer
1 Prayer-Cleansing-Meditation
rest ??

112 points. I might swap FoH with PfE and max that instead, using the skill quests to boost FoH.

EDIT: At the expense of some +skills I managed to tweak his FCR to 126%. I'm in Act 3 Hell. FoH+Conviction came in handy against those serpent magi and apparitions (which are strong vs. magic). The only thing I can afford to lose at this moment is a ring, so I need to get a ring with + to PF&B. The downside is that my resistances will be knocked down by 40 and skills down by 1. The good news is that I have plenty of +skills to boost PF&B.

Other than that, I've made some very good finds. Still missing out on boots with + to Oak Sage :( But if I get that, I'll lose some FCR.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:36 am

It's almost early morning and I'm quite drunk but I'll try to help where I can:

Up to lvl 100 you get 99+3x12=135 Skill Points in ES. 125 at lvl 90 is realistic. I haven't looked into your synergies closely so I can't tell you where to put them. But by the time of late Hell you can see what your weaknesses are and if you can counteract them with gear or not. Don't worry about that skill you lose when adding PF&B, it's more than worth it! Just as a little example: -50% magic resistance is a damage increase of at least 50% OR MORE against any enemy that isn't completely immune to magic even after cursing it.

PF&B can occur on diadems as oskill. Alkor - as always - can help. (+2 pala, +2 combat, +x PF&B, 3 sockets, skills forging and 3 skill jewels...)

/edit: yes, shopping that might take a while, but you can get the perfect helm for almost any build this way...

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeah, it would take a while. He's in Act 4 Hell right now. The only troubhe he had was late Act 3, bone golems. Lighting up the Conviction aura and spamming FoH did the trick in dealing with some of them, and then using bolts on single ones. I had a +4 PF&B amulet before the wipe, but now I may have to try rolling amulets again to see what I can get. :(

EDIT: Frustrate: Died twice to Lachdanan's minions. But I got through. So I have one shot for Act 5. I might as well get the elite stone for this character and figure out what is wrong with my tweakist. I think I went a little overboard.

Instead of focusing more on having his safety up and boosting his life, I tweaked his FCR. Would a lowering from 9FPC to 10FPC affect anything? We'll see.

EDIT 2: Not much of a change. I may need to change my strategy a little to get past Hell. I got the elite stone, but I'm gonna push further not so sure he might pass. Will gemcan recipes work with rerolling amulets? I want to try getting one with PF&B (required ilvl: 78).

EDIT 3: Expectations for my paladin have dropped significantly. So I'm gonna redo my resources into my dragon blader "Mandala".
For the longest I've sworn by using polearms for my 2H characters. Not this one. I am going for spears this time. While I might not get the fancy 5-range I am looking for (AFAIK the Impaler is 5-range but slow), I am making damage, life and AR her top priorities. A good amount of defense can be reached from shade armor which I intend to max out, so that is 23 points set aside.

Dragon Blade - maxing this
Shade Armor - maxing this
Command Mastery - 15
Shadow Warrior - 1 for now
Blade Shield - 30
Blade Sentinel - 25
1 point Melee Mastery
rest Shuriken

Now, for the time being I have a Guisarme set aside for her. I could use a Dragon Spear for 5-range but the average damage is lower. But that is what I am deciding on: the WSM is -20, she needs to wait a few more levels, the Dex requirement is a little higher. But she will have the 5-range this class should use. (It's also 10 levels lower than the Katana). But once I get the Dragon Spear rolled to a decent (not overkill) max/dual-max (maybe not screaming fool's) I'll switch her over to it.

(more wall of text)

So this is her equipment setup:

Weapon: Rare Dragon Spear
Armor: "Eternal Reign"
Gloves: "Mighty" gloves
Belt: Battlecharge
Boots: Boots of the Valiant
Helm: ???
Ring2: Anything with life/mana leech
Amulet: Beads of the Guardian (CBF)

The helm is currently a miss. I could use dwarven faceguard for this one "Dwarven Spirits" since I have it. But I might also use Servant's Leathers since it has +2 skills. What this class needs though is some extra life! That is where I will be using the Spirit of Life (Ethereal Crown), since it has +1-3 to Oak Sage and two sockets. I will, however, be missing out on resists that Servant's Leathers has.

I think I really should use Spirit of Life. Is that a good idea? Or can you recommend me a better helm?

Return to “Eastern Sun”