Ask the Experts

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Ask the Experts

Post by Lucifer666 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:02 pm

ok...delete the es folder you currently have...after,dont make a folder for es,when you run es installer it will make it's own folder inside the d2 folder,after that copy paste the patch to the appropriate folders,you should be ready to go after that...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Fafarn

Post by Fafarn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:45 pm

I´ve done what you said, but it still keeps running as I posted before... looks for me like there´s just a little thing of the original D2 "blocking" the ES from running the right way...

Edit: Do I have to simply take the patch folder and copy it into the es folder or do I have to copy the single folders from the patch folder each into the right folder of es300r folder?
I´ve done both ways

Edit: When I click the shortcut and go to "properties", what should be in "destination" and in "perform/carry out" written? (Hope these are the right names for these in english...)

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Frankly, I have no idea what's wrong. Either you have a version of Diablo 2 which is simply incompatible with the mod or you are doing something wrong and we can't figure out what it is. I'm currently uploading a file which contains a working installation of Diablo 2 - LoD along with Eastern Sun 4.1N Communitiy Patch.

It does not contain the large .mpq files from the Diablo Installation, but all the smaller files. Here's how to use it:

- create a new folder
- copy the following files from your Diablo II folder into the new folder:
-- d2video.mpq
-- D2MUSIC.MPQ
-- d2data.mpq
-- d2exp.mpq
-- d2speech.mpq
-- d2talk.mpq
-- d2sfx.mpq

Then extract the file directly into this folder. It will add all the other (smaller) files of the Diablo II installation and the working Eastern Sun installation. If this doesn't work I'm lost.

As of now, the file is still uploading so I can't provide a link. I'm at the airport and I'll be gone for one and a half weeks so I'll repsond less frequently. I hope the upload finishes before I have to board the plane :D

//edit: I had to board the plane so I could not finish the upload yesterday. I edited the post and added a link. Good luck with it :)
Last edited by Firesnake on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fafarn

Post by Fafarn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks for your great support, really :)

I've done just right the way you wrote, but it still doesn't work... Then i had a look into the es folder... the mpg files you wrote, which i should copy into a new folder, these aren't in the es folder after installing it. You know what i mean?
The thing i tried to explain in my post before is this one [img][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x10 ... tU93Nl.jpg[/img][/img]
Is there everything written in the right way?

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:14 pm

They're not supposed to be in the es300s folder.

Again:
- there is your normal installation folder
- INSIDE the normal installatino folder there should be the es300s folder created by the ES installer

//edit: I finished uploading the file, see my last post for instructions. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas. Only thing I can think of is to talk over skype so that I can lead you through the process step by step while I can see your screen. That might help to see what goes wrong.

Click here to download!

Fafarn

Post by Fafarn » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks very very much for your help, I´ve downloaded the file you uploaded and did what you told me, just got i wrong the first time, sry for that, my fault. Now I´m feeling really close to it, problem is just if I want to start the launcher, the pc starts working, but nothing happens after that. After googling, I think the problem is, that my D2 CD is at patch 1.12, and you need the CD to get D2 at patch 1.10 or ES running, so the ES launcher simply doesn´t get past the CD-check. Searching to fix that problem, hope I´ll get it. But thanks up to this way, you´re very helpful *thumbs-up-to-you*

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Fafarn" wrote:Thanks very very much for your help, I´ve downloaded the file you uploaded and did what you told me, just got i wrong the first time, sry for that, my fault. Now I´m feeling really close to it, problem is just if I want to start the launcher, the pc starts working, but nothing happens after that. After googling, I think the problem is, that my D2 CD is at patch 1.12, and you need the CD to get D2 at patch 1.10 or ES running, so the ES launcher simply doesn´t get past the CD-check. Searching to fix that problem, hope I´ll get it. But thanks up to this way, you´re very helpful *thumbs-up-to-you*
We told you 10 post ago to patch your game to 1.10 before installing ES and to download or buy a old CD . Nothing we can do more than we already did.
We already gave you multiple tutorials and multiple solutions .
The problem is in your TV . Sorry :roll: :idea:
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

Fafarn

Post by Fafarn » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:43 pm

I already patched the game to 1.10, just like i wrote + i have the no cd crak, but the ES doesn´t launch

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 am

Your CD is "too new" for 1.10 to work.

I remember there being some mini CD ISO which you could mount to imitate the correct LoD CD. I never needed it though so someone else might know more about it.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 am

it should be in Stabbys 1.12 thread...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

FPeacee

Post by FPeacee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:20 pm

So I have downloaded the community patch d2se plugin from snej forums, is this the current patch? Is there any known reason why I can't start the mod with plugy? Only runs without. Thanks guys

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 pm

you need to edit the d2se ini file enable Plugy with a 1,once you take a look at the file you'll understand,you need to do it on two spots in the ini...

I bite down hard

FPeacee

Post by FPeacee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Ah I remember this :) Thank you for the fast response

Edit: Still seem to be getting an unhandled access violation

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:07 pm

maybe you need to add a plugy.dll if it is not in the es d2se mods folder...

I bite down hard

FPeacee

Post by FPeacee » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Tried this too, Probably just say {filtered} Plugy and go un-twinked

Elad
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Elad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:39 am

I have Window 7 D2/LOD 12A.
Got to forum Under installer use Stabby's directions for installation of Eastern Sun and Off line installer.
Install following instruction as you load each. Ignore having an icon on the desk top for ES. The off line installer will put on for LOD 12 on the desktop. Click icon and check properties
Dont forget to add in: start at after Diablo\es300r\"
Under compatability check and set to service pack 2 and play admin.
You will have gambling filter but no preference filter.
Version 12 does not require a disc.

'

Elad
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Elad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 am

I have Window 7 D2/LOD 12A.
Got to forum Under installer use Stabby's directions for installation of Eastern Sun and Off line installer.
Install following instruction as you load each. Ignore having an icon on the desk top for ES. The off line installer will put on for LOD 12 on the desktop. Click icon and check properties
Dont forget to add in: start at after Diablo\es300r\"
Under compatability check and set to service pack 2 and play admin.
You will have gambling filter but no preference filter.
Version 12 does not require a disc.

'

Fafarn

Post by Fafarn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey guys, needed some days on my own, got stressed that much by this patch for not working. But resently i got it running, it was pretty easy, very easy with all your tips and linked websites, but only on my brothers laptop with OS Win7... On my Win8 i absolutely didn't get it working. On Win7 it was damn easy guys :)
I don't know what's the problem, but there's something wrong in the relationship between Win8 and ES.
It's not the optimal that i only can play with my brother's laptop, but I'm sooo damn glad, that i got it working :)

Btw, it's damn confusing, when playing ES for the first time, I'm in act3 nm, still tough and I don't get everything in the game :D
But it is a really interesting and cool Mod :)

Thanks for all your help guys, Lucifer, prodigypm, and that crazy man Firesnake, trying to help me while sitting at thr airport :D
Thanks to you, thumbs up for your work

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 am

I got it working under Windows 8 just two days ago. Look at the file's preferences and check the compatibility settings. Let Windows determine the best settings and it should run.

Once you have a working installation you can just copy it onto other computers and it will work. But on each machine you have to run the gfxtest before you can run the game.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:42 pm

yeah, running vid test is mandatory first-time before you can begin playing it. after you do the vid test, then you can just run the game from now on.
Diary, Info, Trading List from Bastige
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)
Became an Arch-Angel: 04/08/2012 I still don't see any wings.
Current highest character: Literal (94) Amazon

mechknight5656

Post by mechknight5656 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:06 pm

The Sorc elemental masteries:

What does "+55% extra mastery for every base point" mean?

So far every point into it only improves my +Lit Skill Damage by 4%. Whats stopping me from investing into a synergy with more than +4% to the skill I use?

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 am

that is only for first Hard Point into the mastery,some skills gain more dmg with mastery than with synergy...your choice really how you want to build a char...

I bite down hard

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 am

mechknight5656" wrote:The Sorc elemental masteries:

What does "+55% extra mastery for every base point" mean?

So far every point into it only improves my +Lit Skill Damage by 4%. Whats stopping me from investing into a synergy with more than +4% to the skill I use?
You get an extra 55% lit/fire/cold skill damage if there is at least one point invested into the mastery. Getting it from an item and ending up with lvl 50 mastery with gear would give you 50*4=200% extra damage. Putting one point in it would push it to 51*4+55=259%.

The percentages of synergies and masteries were subject to many debates in the past. Back when +2 Jewels were still a thing, it was best to leave the main skill and mastery at 1 point and only invest into synergies because all the skills would eventually end up at level 100. Since this is not feasible any more (yet, not impossible) things are slightly more complicated.

The question you are basically asking is: When is it better to dump points into a synergy and when is it better to increase mastery?

Your spell damage is determined by:
D = spell base damage
This is the damage you spell would do if you had no mastery, zero energy and zero elemental damage% on you gear
S = synergy bonus in %
The sum of all synergy bonusses. Putting 10 points in two different synergies each where on point gives you 3% extra damage means that you will gain (10+10)*3=60% extra damage. Sunergies are added, not multiplied with each other.
M = mastery bonus in %
The percentage of your mastery.
E = elemental damage bonus from gear and energy in %
This consists of any spell damage bonus on your gear (e.g. d-stoning on weapon, +x% jewels, etc...) and a bonus from energy. Every 4 points in energy give you 1% extra spell damage. E is the sum of all these effects, since they are added, not multiplied with each other.
DMG = final damage of your spell

DMG = D*(1+S/100)+(1+(M+E)/100)

Since these things are multiplicative, this means the higher M+E, the better your synergies become and vice versa. What's really better depends on your current gear, charms, base energy and distribution of skill points. When deciding between synergy and mastery, the total damage DMG becomes a function depending on two variables, namely S and M.

We know that M=50+mp*4, where mp is the number of points in your mastery.
For synergies, things are more complicated, since they are not always the same. Needless to say, the weaker the synergies, the better your mastery. Let's say your total synergy is at Sb and adding another point will add s% synergy. Then S=Sb+s. Looking at the derivative of our above damage function, we see that the effect of M and S are given by:

effect of 1% more mastery: D*(1+S/100)/100
effect of 1% more synergy: D*(1+(M+E)/100)/100

Since putting one point more into your mastery means putting one point less into your synergies and vice versa we can relate them directly. Let's look at a simple example:

D = 100 damage
3% per every point into a synergy
normal mastery

We have 30 points to distribute into synergies, what is the best way to spend them? Assuming we put p points into mastery, the above formula gives us:

100*(1+3(30-p)/100)*(1+(55+4p)/100)

Ths is a function of p and p² with a maximum for a certain value of p. In the given example this equation will tell you that the function is maximized for p=285/24, which is about 12.29. So you will have to put 12 points into your mastery and 18 points into your synergies, even though the synergy gives you less damage for every point. Having +10 to all skills will shift this balance. Instead of 50+4p the mastery would be at 55+4(p+10). The maximum shifts to p=175/24 and you would now have to put 7 points into your mastery and 23 into synergies. If you gain 50% spell damage from your weapon instead of +10 skills, it would have the same effect as getting more than 12 extra skills, which is the same effect as raising mastery by 50%. So the better your gear, the better are your synergies. If your have 100 points at your disposal, it might still be beneficial to max out your mastery because the optimum value for p can become higher than 20.

Once you start hitting level 100 mastery, any further points will have no effect at all. If your have really good gear, this might be something to consider. However, even level 100 mastery from gear will benefit an extra 55% from the first point, so even with perfect gear the first point is never wasted.

Depending on what happens with the rest of our gear and damage, the maximum will shift around and for every single setup the optimal value will have to be recalculated. Needless to say that this is how to really optimize a character, assuming you know what your final setup will be.

Tl;DR: It depends on your gear and skill point distribution whether it is better to push mastery or synergies. Generally speaking:
  1. Better gear as well as high base energy devalues points in mastery in favor of synergies
  2. Mastery caps at level 100, rendering any further investment useless, while synergies will always increase damage
  3. The first point into mastery is never wasted

//edit: I just did some calculations based on the above formulas. In end game gear (say 50+ skill bonus, about 100% extra damage on gear and >300 base energy) you will never benefit from putting more than one point into mastery, unless your synergy is total crap (1% for example). In extreme cases, even the first point can be wasted if you can get +x mastery from gear. But this is only the case for totally rediculous gear and very strong synergies (8+% per point).

DuckManParkey

Post by DuckManParkey » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 am

Why is my shadow warriors so unresponsive most of the time? Is their AI really that bad? Or am I doing something wrong here... She will cast a few cold blasts and run in for melee, despite me only have cold blast on LMB and a trap on RMB. She wont cast BoS nor fade which I always do after summoning them. Is there any way to get them to cast more spells like I do? I want to use warrior because I am a trapper/blaster. But atleast shadow master has a decent AI and never normal attacks for 3/4 the fight like my warrior does.

So am I just bad or does SW really just have the worst AI ever? How can I get her to cast the spells I do more frequently. Does she have mana and is running out or something?

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:43 am

the Warrior is best used by a Elemental Charge Up Ass...Cold Trapper is a bit tricky with them,if you got three of them it does not matter if one of them goes into melle,anyway once they are in melle you need to back away for a little and they will follow you...they served my assassins very good,i use master only for Dragon Blade and Poison Stream assassins.for Fade,they need to be in range of hostiles to use it...

I bite down hard

Return to “Eastern Sun”