Eastern Sun on D2SE

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Eastern Sun on D2SE

Post by the_bogan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:44 am

Hi all,

I've been a user of D2SE for a long while now, but I see it's just been announced on the front page that it's here at the keep.
When I first tried the Eastern Sun R6D file for D2SE I noticed a couple of things:
  • You could go up to players 16.
    Only 1 skill point for the skillbook from Radament.
It was at that point I stopped playing and went back to the official ES release.

My question is, have D2SE users noticed this is still the case? Any other things that users should be aware about?

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Eastern Sun on D2SE

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:07 am

While I haven't used D2SE myself, I have read a few posts from people who have had issues, including the same issues you mentioned if I'm not mistaken.

My guess would be that D2SE doesn't use the launcher or doesn't use it properly. I am unsure if there is a fix or workaround, but maybe you could manually change some settings or launch options.

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Post by the_bogan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 am

I'm in agreement with your thoughts Stabby. The aim of this topic was to see what other problems are out there/have been fixed, and/or to make people aware that it is best just to use the official Eastern Sun.

The last time I asked on another forum about the skillpoints issue, I was told that I could just use an editor to get that extra point :roll:

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:11 am

I took a look at the .ini file used for launching mods, and there doesn't appear to be any way to load an .exe file. This means that ES in it's normal state will not be able to be run properly through D2SE.

I believe I have a workaround for it though... The ES 1.12mod does not use the launcher and would almost assuredly work fine, however it would require you to use 1.12 either as a base install or swapping files (it appears D2SE can do that fairly easily).

seltsamuel

Post by seltsamuel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 am

Hi,

the assumtions are not really true ..

I will do a new plugin for the Keep. The one that exists is a version that is equal on PC and Mac and as such uses not all Codeedits. Thats the reason and this was needed for the place it was used ;-)

As im not a ES player and the original site is a little bit chaotic organized i have the question which is the latest version available of ES?

Greetings

Seltsamuel

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:51 pm

I can confirm that in single player and lan mode you don't get the full number of skill points. The *insert evil forbidden places here* seem to have their own files that cause it to work properly. That's the only problem that I noticed so far except for the fact that D2SE can't be run twice at the same time (at least on my computer, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an i7-950, Zotac Geforce 470 GTX). But as far as I know this is a known issue.

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:45 pm

seltsamuel" wrote:Hi,

the assumtions are not really true ..

I will do a new plugin for the Keep. The one that exists is a version that is equal on PC and Mac and as such uses not all Codeedits. Thats the reason and this was needed for the place it was used ;-)

As im not a ES player and the original site is a little bit chaotic organized i have the question which is the latest version available of ES?

Greetings

Seltsamuel
Looking forward to trying your nifty utility! I'm a long time ESer, but might like to try Zyl El, Median, etc. Always was hesitant, because I didn't want to screw up my working ES.

Anyhow, R6D was the last file Tsuru put out.

P.S. can you PM me? I am having trouble getting the two mods I have downloaded to show up. ES and Zyl El.
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:38 pm

@billy: merely extract the zip archives into the MODS Folder in your D2 archive (written in caps so easy to spot). Every Mod has to have a SEPERATE folder.

Then merely launch D2SE and the games should show up under the corresponding version (1.09 etc)

Sometimes u need to scroll a bit up/down in order to see it.

hf
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm

gogodanny" wrote:@billy: merely extract the zip archives into the MODS Folder in your D2 archive (written in caps so easy to spot). Every Mod has to have a SEPERATE folder.

Then merely launch D2SE and the games should show up under the corresponding version (1.09 etc)

Sometimes u need to scroll a bit up/down in order to see it.

hf
I thought maybe if I just put the ES folder in MODS, it would work, but when it didn't show, I kinda figured, maybe I need to re-unzip my ES download.

As far as Zyl El goes, I downloaded the files.....I unzipped to the MODS folder, but it did not create a Zyl El folder. So, I did so manually. Then copied all the files into that. It still doesn't show. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit again...I take that back, the ES file, once extracted initially, is then self extracting...ok.....extracted to ES300R folder I created in MODS....started D2SE....still did not work.

Edit: Wait...you say you see them under corresponding versions. The screen shot from the D2SE page shows the Mods right below all the vanilla versions. Or, do I need to do something different to get them to show up below?

Edit: Of course, neither the ES download or the Zyl El download are the self extracting zip files that are mentioned in the D2SE instructions. Is that my problem? Can you not just extract all to a folder you create within MODS?

Ok...I now see in SeltSamuel's D2SE post that there's a Zyl El self extracting file...I'll try that. Then, I just need some guidance on how to get ES working....though, from the sound of it, I may not want to do that through D2SE for the time, being, anyhow.
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Post by the_bogan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Billy, the D2SE versions of ES, Zy-El etc. have their own downloads.
It doesn't appear Eastern Sun has been loaded onto the keep site yet, but Zy-El and a few others have been. https://d2mods.info/filecenter/dload.ph ... cat_id=137

seltsamuel

Post by seltsamuel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi,
yes D2SE needs its plugin versions of the Mod that have a valid D2SE_SETUP.ini inside .. so D2SE can detect and start the Mod.

Greetings

Seltsamuel

oldirtybingo

Post by oldirtybingo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi there
I have been trying to find an eastern sun version for D2SE, but i havent been able to do it.
Did you ever get to do it?
Thanks in advance!

moscitor
Germany

Post by moscitor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 pm

There is as much risk in doing nothing as in doing something

robizeratul

Post by robizeratul » Wed May 25, 2016 6:15 pm

moscitor" wrote:maybe you're looking here : http://snej.org/forum/index.php?topic=18504.0
is this : D2SE_ES_3.00R6D the newest version? or are there newer ones somewhere?

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:43 am

robizeratul" wrote:
moscitor" wrote:maybe you're looking here : http://snej.org/forum/index.php?topic=18504.0
is this : D2SE_ES_3.00R6D the newest version? or are there newer ones somewhere?
Yes, that is the latest version of Eastern Sun for D2SE, and the most current right now.
Diary, Info, Trading List from Bastige
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)
Became an Arch-Angel: 04/08/2012 I still don't see any wings.
Current highest character: Literal (94) Amazon

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Once again I'm returning to my beloved D2 and Eastern Sun.
For the last couple days I tried to make it work somehow, yet only d2se seems to work some how.

Now the major inconvenience i the skillpoint Issue which has not been fixes (such an old mod who would have guessed) but in this Thread "the_bogan" Spore of an Editor to add in the 12 extra points.

Considering i cant get the non-d2se Version to run for the life of me, I was wondering if somebody could kindly point me towards a Tool that accomplishes just that.

I dont mind creating a New char if requirement

Thanks a lot
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Wow....a name I recognize from days gone by. How are things Danny?

I am here as I was talking about this mod with another player of the D1 mod, The Hell 2. We aren't real happy with some changes there, so I was going to try and initiate him. I had to reinstall everything again, myself. Luckily for me, I got it to work, full screen and all Eventually.

What sort of issues are you having getting it to work without SE? The launcher in ESR300 doesn't work?

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Hey Billy, thanks for your Swift reply, feels good receiving an answer from another renowned Player :-)

Life's great, how is yours?

Well I installed and reinstalled d2 1.12A like 10 times, loaded the Mini Images via Daemon tools and also alcohol52 but except for a shortly spinning disk symbol nothing happens. It just doesnt start,, which bugs me a lot :-D

I was considering trying an all-in sorc build for the First time ever but those lacking 12 skillpoints really put a nail in the coffin.

U have any recommendation what I could do?

Also once again Im really excited ure still here :-)

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Hello Again Billy, today I'm writing full of joy.
I finally managed to make it work and it wasn't all that hard after all ...

what i did is download the 1.12 install files for D2 and Lod and use my original 26 digit CD Key.
Then use the versionswitcher that chaosmark created (https://versionchanger.chaosmarc.de/) insane tool.
Change my installed version to 1.10 - this then prompts for a CD to be insterted.
Made sure to mount the LoD iso image / mini image.
Before starting to the video - check. Pick the 2D version (I dont really care about the effects).
Install Eastern Sun R6D - launch the mod with launcher by selecting "compatibility mode WIN XP SP3" - NOT as admin.

It works like a charm, plugy does too and I aint got no issues, even with cain - can talk and/or Identify stuff.

Hope this will work for you too and that from now on I won't be having issues ever again cuz I just copied this entire text into a .txt file to use it once more in 50 years :-P

later

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Hey Danny

I eventually started using the Community Patch...and using the Discord for ES Rises....that got the mod to work as it should. I use D2SE and everything works good now. Took quite a bit, but I got there.

Return to “Eastern Sun”