LOTH revisited

Information and updates for the "Legacy of the Horadrim" mod by quatl. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Quatl

No votes

Total votes: 0

Yopurzag

LOTH revisited

Post by Yopurzag » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Quatl! Long time no see!

I´m taking a break from TES IV Oblivion, and stop by once more by the Phrozen keep, and I´m testing your new version of LOTH.

Now the skill mechanics are balanced! and the affinity system...well done!

Ok, the suggestions:

The mastery screen: take off the "level 100 requirement" and put something like "passive skill on item". The 100 Lvl it´s innapropiate and confusing.

Potions: make the potions (life - mana) much more rare. Reduce the annoying huge dropings of life-mana potions!

Boss treasure chests on dungeons: a thing that I hate in vanilla LOD is the useless and annoying content of special treasure chests (not the normal ones!) in the end of the dungeons/levels. An issue that the mod making community never dealt properlly so far! Remove the crappy stuff and put something that really worth the ride and the effort. Put a super-unique monster with a special few agressive lesser monsters(some immunitys or power aura) guarding those chests.
Those chests could have a substancial increased chance to drop:
a SET item/ 1 or 2 GEMS/and 1 or 2 rejuv-potions
maybe based on unique boss monster level/race.

Unbalanced drop rate - RARE items: after few hours playing, I realize that the rare item drop rate it´s too high.

I do not agree with the removal of the items durability stats!It´s an ex libris of the original game, and now it seems NWNights or something! The mod could be harder and must gold spending.
I have a crazy idea never implemented: make the durability real important in game. Activate the yellow warning of item durability whem it as 50% of total value. Reduce de armor/damage of the item by 50% too. Or if possible, it would be very realistic to have the armor/damage values lowered, in the same proportion of it´s phisic degradation. (-25% durability achieved by using the item, -25% of armor/damage values).
Create and orb or a special repairing hammer to repair all the equipment in the character inventory (like the blessing shrymes repair-all-effect in Diablo 1). This item must have a rare droping rate, maybe only by special monsters. It is just an idea. The sugestions above this one are really more important. The blacksmiths in town sould repair the items too, like vanilla.

I will keep in touch ( don´t have much time to play but I will follow your mod progress because is the best custom skill character creation mod ever made!)

Good work. Keep it up! :)

Yopurzag
Last edited by Yopurzag on Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: LOTH revisited

Post by Quatl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote:Hi Quatl! Long time no see!

I´m taking a break from TES IV Oblivion, and stop by once more by the Phrozen keep, and I´m testing your new version of LOTH.

Now the skill mechanics are balanced! and the affinity system...well done!
Nice to hear from you again, haven't seen you here since the fairly early days of LotH :)
Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote: Ok, the suggestions:

The mastery screen: take off the "level 100 requirement" and put something like "passive skill on item". The 100 Lvl it´s innapropiate and confusing.
These skills a re handled much better in the next release. You are automatically granted them at level one, and they are caped at one level (to prevent more points from being invested, which wouldn't do anything good for the player but would remove a skill point) I could have done this before but for some reason I didn't trust the skill level cap mechanism.

So they read "Maximum Level Reached"

This also has the advantage of reducing the clutter on equipable items' stat lists a bit.
I'm still working on integrating dodge etc into this, it's likely that there will be 3 armor masteries instead of using the auto effects as much.
Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote: Potions: make the potions (life - mana) much more rare. Reduce the annoying huge dropings of life-mana potions!
Yeah the rate is a bit high I agree. I do find more potions are needed in LotH, but less than are dropping now.
Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote: Boss treasure chests on dungeons: a thing that I hate in vanilla LOD is the useless and annoying content of special treasure chests (not the normal ones!) in the end of the dungeons/levels. An issue that the mod making community never dealt properlly so far! Remove the crappy stuff and put something that really worth the ride and the effort. Put a super-unique monster with a special few agressive lesser monsters(some immunitys or power aura) guarding those chests.
Those chests could have a substancial increased chance to drop:
a SET item/ 1 or 2 GEMS/and 1 or 2 rejuv-potions
maybe based on unique boss monster level/race.

Unbalanced drop rate - RARE items: after few hours playing, I realize that the rare item drop rate it´s too high.
I agree that treasure needs to be addressed in many respects. The specific things you say here are things that annoy me as well. Rare items are too common and not cool enough much of the time. I'd definitely prefer fewer but nicer rare items. Nice to hear my dissatisfaction echoed by another player :)

These are on my list of things to clean up, but they are rather far down it. Finalizing the affinity system, and cleaning up Item crafting are the next big things for LotH. (I hadn't thought about the gold chests specifically, though what you say is true. They tend to drop a lot of stuff that isn't particularly inspiring.
Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote: I do not agree with the removal of the items durability stats!It´s an ex libris of the original game, and now it seems NWNights or something! The mod could be harder and must gold spending.
I have a crazy idea never implemented: make the durability real important in game. Activate the yellow warning of item durability whem it as 50% of total value. Reduce de armor/damage of the item by 50% too. Or if possible, it would be very realistic to have the armor/damage values lowered, in the same proportion of it´s phisic degradation. (-25% durability achieved by using the item, -25% of armor/damage values).
Create and orb or a special repairing hammer to repair all the equipment in the character inventory (like the blessing shrymes repair-all-effect in Diablo 1). This item must have a rare droping rate, maybe only by special monsters. It is just an idea. The sugestions above this one are really more important. The blacksmiths in town sould repair the items too, like vanilla.
Decreasing item performance in proportion to item damage is something I've experimented with before. The trouble is that it doesn't add a lot of fun to the game. (it also is a lot less realistic than most seem to think; real weapons don't really wear down in that way.)

Even the basic system in D2 doesn't add anything other than a way to soak up excess gold. Once you get the idea, the repair button just becomes something you click every time you go back to town. I don't feel that the game loses anything fun from removing repairs.

I agree that having weapons last forever is a bit unrealistic. however realism isn't really a priority for me. I like to ask myself instead whether a particular game element adds more pleasure to the experience. When the mechanism is only a chore I think it's of questionable value.

(note that some amount of struggle, or even frustration can be a great thing in games, as long as the reward for success makes it worth while.)

The rate that the characters gain gold certainly does need to be examined. I think it is definitely a bit too high, at least at lower levels. I'll do that as part of rebuilding the treasure drops a bit down the road. I can't really "balance" the treasure until all prices are finalized.

Having said all that I'm not philosophically opposed to some kind of item damage/deterioration type of system in games. I just don't like the ones that are easy enough to produce in the D2 engine. I think something nice could be done in that area that added fun extra activity to a game.
Yopurzag";p="334411" wrote: I will keep in touch ( don´t have much time to play but I will follow your mod progress because is the best custom skill character creation mod ever made!)

Good work. Keep it up! :)

Yopurzag
Thanks a lot for you suggestions, as well as your praise! Please do check in from time to time and let me know what you think of LotH's progress :)

-Quatl
Legacy of the Horadrim: Have a taste, contains a full days supply of 0 esential vitamins and minerals.
The Mod-Makeing Trinity: Tutorials|File Guides|Search

Return to “Legacy of the Horadrim”