Just lost all my files

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

Kuss

Just lost all my files

Post by Kuss » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Hurray! I got a ransomware because I left my PC up and my kid used it to do God knows what

so anyway, my second most important thing after all the music that was on it (job things are on my laptop) was my moood!
I mean, it wasn't even a mod, it was just the start of it

it was like a vanilla Diablo 2 improved, trying to rebalance gold and adding something like the mystic orbs ala median, adjusting some drop rates and some enemies damage to make them tougher and something more

damn I have to start again; and damn I don't think I'll ever find all my old music back... there was some rare stuff in there :x
I broke my mouse yesterday morning, couldn't contain the rage :twisted:

anyway; just wanted to share this little experience.
As an old friend of mine said once: it's not question of IF; it's question of WHEN

keep your file back-up'd from time to time! you never know ahah :mrgreen:

ps: i never trusted computers anyway, i prefer good old physical supports

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Just lost all my files

Post by Volf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

If you cant remove the ransomware yourself and cant find a removal tool for the specific ransomware just try a few removal tools for other ransomware versions. If that doesn't help then you can always hire some help from a local wiz (shouldn't cost you to much as its usually a quick job.

Kuss

Post by Kuss » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Just tried that; the files were encrypted asymmetrically and there was literally no way to decrypt them unless we paid. Needless to say I formatted everything
Well, a fresh start from time to time doesn't hurt I guess!
But trust me, these kind of malwares are really bit@#es, they don't just mess up with the files, they just block them so you still see them, but you can't use them. It's a psychological kind of thing looking at my music collection and not being able to listen to one single file

The ransomware itself wasn't hard to remove, but the files weren't possible to recover. So I just said "well f* it all" and boom formatted both hard drives

I wish this to nobody, not even the people who made Diablo 3 /jk

prawn
Paladin
Great Britain

Post by prawn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:56 pm

DAng! Look on the bright side, the second mod you make is always better than first!

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Yeah i know decrypting is a real pain sometimes. Have had a few battles with customized variations of cryptolocker etc (not on my own comp though, but i got loads of friends and family that either have no instinct for online self preservation or mabe their just hackermagnetized).
On my own comps i would most likely do what you did, just format or change hard drives.

Return to “Off-Topic”