Freeablo - Diablo 1 engine OpenSource

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Freeablo - Diablo 1 engine OpenSource

Post by devurandom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:53 am

freeablo is a modern cross platform OpenSource reimplementation of the game engine used in Diablo 1.

Currently, you can run around town, players and npcs animate, and you can go down into the first few levels of the dungeon (which is randomly generated), and a couple of other things. This is just a base for a game so far.

https://freeablo.org/
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Freeablo - Diablo 1 engine OpenSource

Post by Necrolis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:19 pm

I see they finally shifted over to OpenGL for the rendering backend; I tried to contribute a long time ago but working with the SDL2 render system mixed in with their old rendering manager and the libRocket stuff got rather annoying. Nice to see they are still moving along. Though I don't think the use of a package manager is a good move, the C++ ones tend to come and go way too quickly...
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 pm

librocket doesn't look very interesting, nothing against python, but it seems out of place there to use slow interpreted code.

The OpenGL code is worth looking into for someone who wants to learn more about implementation.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:17 pm

devurandom" wrote:librocket doesn't look very interesting, nothing against python, but it seems out of place there to use slow interpreted code.
well, for UI tasks, being interpreted code won't cause any issues; my problem was that it didn't seem to match the rest of the system well (and there were hacks around that, mainly a specific OGL call to restore some state that was getting trashed). Shfting to a pure OGL backend with SDL2 is the right choice (this is what Valve does).

I will say Freeablo has some dedicated people, and I must commend wheybags on keeping the project going despite his employment.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Return to “Off-Topic”