Cain in DWX

Information and updates for the Darkness Weaves Ironman mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Pagan

Cain in DWX

Post by Pagan » Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:37 pm

Hey all :)

This is my first post here at the Phrozenkeep, but I have lurked here off an on. I have made many mods in the past and experimented with pretty much all the txt files and some light dll editing. Anyways, I recently started getting interested in playing some ironman. I did some preliminary testing of making a mod such as this, but then I saw that this mod already existed, so I figured why reinvent the wheel? BTW, this mod rocks so far. :) It took me as long to rescue cain as it does to get half way through act 2 in normal d2ex or other mods.

My question concerns the use of Cain to ID items in DWX. I know that in the original Ironman rules, the Cain Id was a one time quest bonus before leaving act 1. Now, is the dropping of ID scrolls in this mod balanced for using cain or not using him? Like I said, I just rescued him, and up until the stony field, I think I only found 1 id scroll, but then they started dropping more regularly. I am open to either using or not using him depending on what was intended for the mod. If it is to use him, I guess the mod would be more like the Isolationist variant developed by Sirian, which is to not use gold at any time. If it was intended to not use him, then for my own personal use, I will probably make him non-interactive, or NOP out his identify function, which may take some time to find in the debugger.

In my prelimenary tests, I found that I could turn cain into one of the other non-interactive npc's. Cain has 5 populate ID's in monstats.txt, one for each act I suppose, which are 146, 244,245, 246, and 265. Now if you set the CS::IsSel and CT::IsSel2 to 0 and CU::NeverSel to 1 for each of these populate id's, you can not interact with cain in any act, but he will always be there. Cain is not needed to complete any quest as far as I know, but you would miss all his inane ramblings. <-- could be a bonus. :)

Anyways, I just wanted some opinions on how others play this mod and how it was intended to be played; more like Ironman or more like Isolationist.

PS Does everyone think that it would be outside of the spirit of the mod to alter the dll's so that the max cost for resurrecting a mercenary is say 5000 gold. Again, this would be for my own personal use. It would still take a long time to make that much gold in the mod and so losing a mercenary would still be significant. In the version I was thinking about making, I was thinking about setting the max gold in stash to zero and max gold carried to always be 5000, so each time you got the merc killed it would be a long time before you could resurrect them. The function for setting the merc resurrecting price is well known, and I saw in a post from Jarulf a long time ago that functions 28c7 and c863 in d2common.dll control the amount of gold on character and in stash. I haven't looked at them personally, but that is what is in my notes. Maybe in the next version of the mod, if there is one, you can change the first funtion to be 0*clvl instead of 10,000*clvl for the gold carried. Just a thought. :)

Anyways, the mod looks great so far, and if I do change anything, it will be for my own personal use. Keep up the good work and happy modding.

RexxLaww
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Hand-picked

Post by RexxLaww » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:17 am

In earlier versions, I had disabled the ability to interact with him so that you couldnt use him to ID.

Unfortunately, Cain is intricate to the advancement of the storyline and you must be able to speak with him. Short of DLL editing to remove the option to Identify, there was no way to turn off this option. One of the goals of my mod was to make it without DLL editing, so he stayed in.

Feel free to modify for your own personal use, just dont re-distribute it as a new mod. 8-O

Thanks for the kind words and enjoy!
The Frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.

Mercenary

Post by Mercenary » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:51 pm

I like being able to ID at cain and I don't think of it as contrary to the mod at all. You still find pitifully few id scrolls for a game in which you need to id something new all the time, because you'll want to be using it in about 2 durabillity. And it's not like going to town is as quick as pressing f4 and hopping through to id, it's still a hassle and I still find myself leaping at every id scroll i see drop. Btw, town portal scrolls AND tomes do drop, from the bookshelfs in the barracks/jail area, I have about 5 tp scrolls in a tome on a lvl 15 char.

RexxLaww
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Hand-picked

Post by RexxLaww » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:57 pm

Just a small fringe benefit of having survived that long. :lol:
The Frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.

Return to “Darkness Weaves”