Crash with -direct -txt : r10b

Information and updates for the New Dawn and North Star mods. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: 54x

Morduin

Crash with -direct -txt : r10b

Post by Morduin » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:25 pm

I like to tweak details of a mod as I play, to better suit my tastes. But when I extract the files from the MPQ and try to run in -direct -txt, I get the following error:

Expression : *data == SYM_EOL

I know this likely isn't a high priority right now, but I'd like to find a solution for this.

A quick look at the txt files, showed that there's an extra empty column on the end of a lot of the txt files. This could be the cause, though I wonder how they got there in the first place.
"Greigle."
"What?"
"Orcish for 'Eeep'."
"Ohhh.."

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Crash with -direct -txt : r10b

Post by Alkalund » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:18 pm

[quote=Morduin";p="117559"]A quick look at the txt files, showed that there's an extra empty column on the end of a lot of the txt files. This could be the cause, though I wonder how they got there in the first place.[/quote]

That extra column is put there exactly to avoid the error you mentioned. Make sure the whole 'empty' column is filled with 0 (zeroes).

The column is put there to warn Excel that that's where the line ends. If it isn't there, Excel may screw up the txt file real bad, giving you the error above.

Morduin

Post by Morduin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:52 am

That's what I thought might be the problem, and most of the extra columns didn't have zeroes, so I made sure they did. Still wouldn't work.

But I just shifted the adjusted files to another patch_d2.mpq to create the bins, and that worked, so I'm fine at the moment. Still an annoying little glitch. :)
"Greigle."
"What?"
"Orcish for 'Eeep'."
"Ohhh.."

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:40 am

Pass? I'm battling with the same error, but I got it in my R10 conversion process...
New Dawn (X)
North Star
Thought & Effort. (Now it's always in my posts)
Deutschsprachig, falls jemand mich braucht :)

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:23 am

[quote=54x";p="118020"]Pass? I'm battling with the same error, but I got it in my R10 conversion process...[/quote]

All columns that are for reference only in 1.10 are named starting with an asterisk (*), so if you haven't already, rename your 'empty' column to read *empty. Maybe that will work. Blizzard's standard now is to call the termination columns *eol, so it would be best to call them that.

Also, some files have 256 columns (at least skills.txt I think), you better not add new columns to these files. The maximum is 256 as far as I know.

EDIT: this is assuming you are speaking of a R10 conversion to 1.10 of course...
Last edited by Alkalund on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Normalaw
Fiji

Post by Normalaw » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:06 pm

So other question, and I know this is one the community has put up with before, but is there a resource or a list anywhere that tells me if NV/HDTP works with a certain mod? Or is there a logic to it?

Image ;-)

Return to “New Dawn & North Star”