Step by step installation guide?

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun Rises mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

sutasafaia

Step by step installation guide?

Post by sutasafaia » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Considering everything I've been reading and hunting around trying to find, I (and potentially many others) would appreciate a step by step installation guide for this mod. It seems like every step of the way there are complications when I try to do it. Apparently you can't even use the digital download anymore because it starts at 1.14 and that can't be downgraded? And you still need some of the installation files from the first eastern sun, so you need to find a working link for that, on top of the link for this version. Then you need a mounting program because you require a CD which I no longer have...

I played the original ES years and years ago, really want to try this new version out but I am just going to admit I am lost and would like an "idiots" guide to getting this to work.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Step by step installation guide?

Post by cla$$ics » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

If you have 1.14 you need to downgrade your game first. Any version will work as long as you have the expansion set. There are tutorials on the net on how to do this.

Then you need to download and install D2SE, which is a mod manager tool. Install it in your Diablo 2 folder.

Then you need to download the mod. On the announcement there is a link to Github. (https://github.com/LoDAlphA/Eastern-Sun-Rises) On there there is an option to download ZIP. Download the ZIP, open it, and copy the folder that's inside of it (Eastern-Sun-Rises-Master) into a folder in your Diablo 2 folder that is called MODS. D2SE created this folder when you installed it.

So just to verify, if you installed the game into C:\Program Files\Diablo II, you want to select that as the D2SE install path, and the path to the Eastern Sun readme should be C:\Program Files\Diablo II\MODS\Eastern-Sun-Rises-master\README.md.

Now you just need to launch D2SE. "Eastern Sun Rises 5.1" will be visible in the list. Double click the option to run the mod.
You will find that there are other mods which work on D2SE and it is a very critical mod installing tool.
If the mod does not launch then you need to set D2SE to run in Windows XP compatibility mode and run as administrator.
Hope that helps.
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

sutasafaia

Post by sutasafaia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Thank you! It's...kind of working? I can get the game running (although not sure how to get it to look not terrible as of yet, but that's not my big problem right now) but the moment I try to access my inventory it gives me an error and crashes, can't divide by zero exception. I tried to disable PlugY just in case that was the issue but it was not. Tried a full re-install as well, didn't work. My D2 version is 1.12 and 2dse is 2.2.0. I did set it to Wxp compatibility +admin, also failed.

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:50 pm

You both made one mistake. The ESR Version from github is not standalone, which is why @cla$$ics you had the same erros as sutasafaia. You first need to install the ES Plugin for D2SE from here: http://snej.org/forum/index.php?topic=18504.0 first (D2SE_ES R6E Com4.1N_sfx.exe).
Afterwards you copy past over everything you downloaded from github.

Edit: @sutasafaia if you have trouble to get D2SE working, please check the Snej Board (link above).

Cheers
AlphA

sutasafaia

Post by sutasafaia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 am

Thank you, that fixed it completely. Found the glide wrapper thing also so the game runs at a larger setting without completely ruining the game. Wish it was a little larger but can't have everything.

A random question though...does the game still have that calculator program you can plug your runes into and it shows everything you can make? I swear ES had that before but I don't see it anymore, and I have no idea if it's even updated for the latest version assuming it still exists.

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 am

Yeah. That still works.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3zxbu5qra ... netool.zip

Cheers
AlphA

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:20 pm

To avoid major problems with certain antivirus and security software and Windows in general, it is advised to install Diablo II to a folder outside "C:\Program Files" (if a 32-bit system) or "C:\Program Files (x86)" [if a 64-bit system]. Using "C:\Diablo II" is fine.

Same can be applied with other games. Putting this up here because I had some major troubles in the past and doing this spared me those problems. Also, if you are running Win8.1 or Win10, don't forget to set "Diablo II.exe"/"GAME.EXE" and "VID_TEST.EXE" to compatiblity as "XP Service Pack 3" and privilege as "Run As Administrator". Do the same for D2SE.
Diary, Info, Trading List from Bastige
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)
Became an Arch-Angel: 04/08/2012 I still don't see any wings.
Current highest character: Literal (94) Amazon

pantherx12

Post by pantherx12 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi all long term Player of eastern sun thought I'd give this a go.

How ever when I create a new character and attempt p start the game I get a generic bad file error message.

I'm using d2se have installed the eastern sun community version 4.1 and then patched over the top with eastern sun rises.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Edit: Solved. Thanks for joining our Discord. Cheers AlphA

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi AlphA.

First I want to Thank You, playing ESR currently and it is very nice. :leftthumb:

Anyway, I had a little problem with PlugY, not being able to use it at all, so somehow with the luck of 7 years old post from Seltsamuel, this is how I was able to enable PlugY completely.

Install ES R6E Com4.1N

Update only PlugY folder with the latest version of PlugY. "don't know what seems to be a problem here, since files seems to be the same, but with a little different dates, like day/hours of difference between them, sth like that"

Apply Eastern-Sun-Rises-master files.

Copy PlugY.dll from D2SE\CORES\1.09d and paste it in Eastern Sun mod folder.

Wanted to share it just in case someone else encounter the problem I had and this topic seems to be the right place.

Regards, Talic

Nevrinx
United States of America

Post by Nevrinx » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:40 pm

When I tried to launch the Eastern Sun Rises 5.1, it instead ran my Median XL instead.

If you know how to fix this then pls tell me.

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Median xl is a mod which is recommended to install into separate folder so it doesn't mess with other diablo 2 folders you might have.

e.g. on my side
1 diablo folder only for median xl
other diablo folder for maybe 1.14d mods
another diablo folder in which you have D2SE installed so you can play mods.
and few backup folders.
etc etc.

Also, median xl, at least latest version is based on 1.13c where ESR is not (1.10 as I know), just copying files over files won't work, for sure there will be some conflict.

Follow the second post at the beginning of this topic.

If you need to save, save your save files if you have any, I would say that easier way to fix your problem is to reinstall the game.

If you are stuck at any point, ask.

Return to “Eastern Sun Rises”