Time for Change?

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

No votes

Total votes: 0

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Time for Change?

Post by Al-T » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi folks,

As a general observation I see lots of new people joining the forums and they all seem to have the same initial problem in that they don't "know" how to edit their posts (I include myself here when I first joined). Now, this could be construed as a failure to read the ToS or a failure on their part to "try" to figure out what happens here, but for a newcomer it can be quite confusing (don't assume similar knowledgable familiarity). So instead of issuing warnings to people who do this wouldn't it be better to make the "edit" button more obvious? A tiny light blue button upper right of message isn't exactly obvious......can this be changed to something more striking? Or, more importantly can the guidelines be made clearer?
Last edited by Al-T on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Moved

Post by Nefarius » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:10 pm

*This topic has been moved from General Diablo 2 Discussion to Feedback*

No. first of all, we don\'t issue warnings for double posting, a warning is something completely different. The double posting rule is a common sight, and you will encounter it on as good as any forum on the internet. When someone is intentionally double posting this is considered spam, and we will issue a warning if such behavior is observed.

I don\'t think the button can be made any more obvious then it is, it is called edit and has that written all over it.

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Time for Change?

Post by dfnord » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:00 am

Maybe making it flash purple and yellow for those with less than 10 posts?

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Re: Moved

Post by Al-T » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:46 am

Nefarius";p="273180" wrote:*This topic has been moved from General Diablo 2 Discussion to Feedback*

No. first of all, we don\'t issue warnings for double posting, a warning is something completely different. The double posting rule is a common sight, and you will encounter it on as good as any forum on the internet. When someone is intentionally double posting this is considered spam, and we will issue a warning if such behavior is observed.

I don\'t think the button can be made any more obvious then it is, it is called edit and has that written all over it.
I think the button could be made more visible like dfnord suggests e.g. ((posts<10)? flash:don't flash) and even if it can not, an "introduction" to the Keep on registration could have some graphical display showing new users where all the relevant buttons are located.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:11 pm

- EDIT -

This slot was formerly occupied by a post that was in conflict with the Terms of Service and against the general ethics of posting at the Phrozen Keep.

I apologize for this transgression.

misharohac
Last edited by misharohac on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:37 pm

Maybe a little more attention from the users will be good :) Almost every forum offers and "edit" button and it doesn't seem users there to have problems.
This will stop post freak zealots from submitting useless posts like this one just for the sake of running up their post count.
... or simply remove the post count, so it won't be for the posting, but for the sense ;)
(j/k :P)
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:35 pm

We can always reset a post counter if there is a real problem... :turnevil:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:49 pm

misharohac";p="273240" wrote: I say make the edit button even less obvious and then immediately BAN new users after their first double post without warning.

This will stop post freak zealots from submitting useless posts like this one just for the sake of running up their post count.

*cough*
:nono:

[mod="Nefarius"]From Nefarius on behalf of the rest of the staff:

We have been very tolerant in your regard for a too long time,
You have been often warned about not posting totally obsolete replies to topics,
By me, Onyx and other staff members over the last year, yet you keep doing it,
and worse, you even do it with some attitude that I've rarely seen.

Lets see what recent things we have then,

First you asked people about non-modding related stuff in totally irrelated threads, like avatars, and I know that you knew very well (being a long time user) that this is PM buisness!

Then you replied with info no one requested to a variety of threads, it is nice and good to post info, but only when it makes some sense in the discussion, as Onyx has told you several times (IIRC)

But that post you have posted in the Feedback forum crossed the line,
You've used up all that was left of our patience, it is one thing to spam,
It is another to indirectly encourage other people to spam.

You posted a totally useless reply, and in that reply even admitted that it is totally useless,
and posted only for rising your post count.

One more useless post and you will loose your current rank, and be unable to gain any further ranks. This is harsh, we are well aware of this, but you have left us no coice.

Consider this your first official warning[/mod]
Last edited by Nefarius on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:44 pm

I am saddened to see what on my part was a genuine attempt to provide feedback in order to help everyone on the forums, in particular new users, has degenerated to something totally unrelated.

My recent thoughts were to provide a Word or HTML or similar document along with the "welcome" message which clearly shows where all the buttons are and what function they provide but now to be honest I am going to leave this topic well alone and check around the other Keep forums that still hold my interest.

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:12 pm

Al-T";p="273401" wrote:I am saddened to see what on my part was a genuine attempt to provide feedback in order to help everyone on the forums, in particular new users, has degenerated to something totally unrelated.

My recent thoughts were to provide a Word or HTML or similar document along with the "welcome" message which clearly shows where all the buttons are and what function they provide but now to be honest I am going to leave this topic well alone and check around the other Keep forums that still hold my interest.
There is a FAQ section that gives all the answer. I am not sure what exactly the Welcoming PM has in it. A link to that section you can see very easy on the left side of the screen, so it really is not such a problem. I really think that the users should use all the good features and information this site can offer. Everything is cleared and arranged so it can be as much useful as it can. This site has so many information in it, that if it wasn't the structure it have it would've been a labirint. (I feel like I have to add a "Thank you" to spin :) but he already knows I am his fan ;) )
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:34 pm

This is definitely my last post in this topic. Could someone please lock it as I don't believe it is going anywhere?
There is a FAQ section that gives all the answer. I am not sure what exactly the Welcoming PM has in it. A link to that section you can see very easy on the left side of the screen, so it really is not such a problem. I really think that the users should use all the good features and information this site can offer. Everything is cleared and arranged so it can be as much useful as it can. This site has so many information in it, that if it wasn't the structure it have it would've been a labirint.
There are 3 parts in the FAQ section, Hosting, File Center and Staff and none of them have the information you say they do. The Welcome PM does just that, welcomes you to the Keep and provides basic information about your account and nothing more.

It could be a big problem for people who have no previous experience with the Internet in general, bearing in mind a lot of people who join may be very young and only just started using a PC/MAC.

Also doing a search for "editing posts" brings up a plethora of unrelated topics and while useful to those of us familiar with the workings at the Keep it is just confusing for newcomers.

Yes, once you are familiar with the way the site works, I agree that it is logical and well organised but new users can find it confusing hence so many messages where people are told to "use the edit button". It is this proliferation of these messages in response to double-posting in conjunction with no easy way for a newcomer to find out how to use basic post creation and editing tools that inspired me in the first place. I was prepared to create a Word or HTML document for this and submit it to Myhrginoc or one of the other senior admins for them to decide whether to use it in FAQs or as an attachment to the "Welcome" message or not at all but with the type of posts there have been in this topic I am no longer prepared to waste my time.
Last edited by Al-T on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dfnord » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:04 pm

Instead of giving up, why don't you just make a "Phrozen keep for dumies" guide? Put all those images to help newcomers, circuling the edit and search functions with a red circle, point out briefly and in an easy going way the most common tos violations, and then post it. Who knows? If it is good enough and gets good feedback, admins might even make it global sticky.

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Al-T";p="273430" wrote: There are 3 parts in the FAQ section, Hosting, File Center and Staff and none of them have the information you say they do. The Welcome PM does just that, welcomes you to the Keep and provides basic information about your account and nothing more.
This is the FAQ section for "Features". There is another section for "Forums". The one I linked in my previous message. (I knew I should've mentioned that :) )

Return to “Feedback”