Modifying Mods

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

No votes

Total votes: 0

delta3

Modifying Mods

Post by delta3 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 am

Recentlly i posted in the code editing forum asking for help adding a cube recipe to the new patched version of Eastern sun. This recipe that im trying to add turns any item cubed alone into a white version of the item. I have put this recipe in all the previous versions becuase i like to experiment with runewords and do others things. In all the old patches the recipe worked but in the newest one it nulls all the other recipes and nothing with the cube works.

Now i went to the code editing forum saying this and asking for some help. Then my thread gets locked and i get railed for editing someone else's mod.

Now i would understand that this is bad except for the fact that there is no rule ANYWHERE stating that the mod maynot be edited. No readme saying not to edit it. No where in the forum rules saying that the mods may not be edited. Onyx was no help at all chastizing me as if i should be able to read his mind about rules that are not written. So becuase i saw nothing against it i assumed that it was in a way open source also since the databases are with about 4 clicks of the main folder.

GeorgiaBoy
Champion of the Light
Turks & Caicos Is

Re: Modifying Mods

Post by GeorgiaBoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:59 am

Hi delta3,

When I first signed up at the keep, the first thing I wanted to do is to mod a mod. It is against the ToS here (addendum XII):
XII) People often ask, “is there a way to convert bin files to txt files?” The answer is no, and there are no known tools that do so. But think about what a bin-to-txt converter would be used for: stealing information from other people’s mods. There is no need for bin conversion for Blizzard’s data, it is already fully available in the unmodded txt files. Stealing from mods is against our Terms of Service, and discussing a tool that would be unnecessary except for that purpose will not be allowed.
At first, I wondered why. If you see my posts, modding can come in the form of dumb questions and LOTS of work. There is much frustration that can be caused by modding. Modders do not want their work pirated. I understand that some people learn by example, so there are some mods (like Talonrage's complete plugin pack) which are very instructional (and I would recommend highly).

Please keep in mind that the admins here are volunteers from around the world and are not paid. I believe they are a patient lot. We are here by their good graces.

That said, be patient. Modding D2 can be more fun than actually playing it. Maybe Tsuru (I think he is the author of ES) will add what you want if you PM him. Most importantly, just have fun...

Have a good day,

GB

delta3

Post by delta3 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:40 am

I am not pirating it, im asking about adding 1 line of code and i will be the only one using this.

Borgin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Borgin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 am

Regardless of your purpose, you're changing someone's hard work. It is in fact against the ToS.

tsuru has been benevolent enough for a long time to keep the data folder along with ES, much to many of our chagrins, for this exact reason- nobody wants people to start "hacking" ES and all the hard work tsuru and PC have put into it.

Either accept the fact that ES doesn't have the recipe, or make your own mod that does. Honestly, editing others' mods is a very slippery slope so we just stay far, far away from that can of worms.

delta3

Post by delta3 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 am

Im sorry but when i read that it says stealing from a mod is not allowed. Where does it say that modieing a mod is not allowed. Im not taking this 1 WHOLE LINE OF CODE im trying to add and gona re-release it. Its for personal use.

Borgin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Borgin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 am

Like I said, we make no exceptions, because it's too much of a hassle. Modifying another modder's work is strictly forbidden, regardless of intent.

PM'ing tsuru/PC is a perfectly good idea, as you really ought to have their express permission to modify their work. Until then, though, I'm relatively certain nobody will help you, as it is against our ToS.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Part XXI of the tos tos aplies here
XXI) Each member shall respect the efforts of other members to provide material in the form of websites, mods, plugins, guides, tutorials, tools or any other contributions, whether hosted on the Keep or otherwise. Plugins are provided as building blocks for mods and are available to anybody for such use, so long as appropriate credit is given. All contributions that are not plugins shall not be copied and incorporated into a member's projects and websites without the expressed consent of the originator. If a project or website is found to include unauthorized material from other members, all links and content will be removed from the Keep and membership access may be denied.
With this part + the addendum part + a bit of common courtesy and respect for the work of fellow modmakers this case should be clear.

End of discussion!
If anything is still unclear pm me or any other admin.
Last edited by Volf on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Feedback”