Rune runs?

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

NewbieModder
Angel

Rune runs?

Post by NewbieModder » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:32 pm

Ahh, rune mod....

The only place with "dead rogue by the inner cloister waypoint" runs...

But what are the best places to get runes? Dead Rogue By The Inner Cloister yeilds runes occasionally and is exceptionally fast. Occasionally zooming about Stony Field is fun. Haven't found any really good runs in act II or III.

Where do you people search out runes?

the_brainaic

Re: Rune runs?

Post by the_brainaic » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:50 pm

I run the Countess - she normally drops 2 runes and a goody bag or so, and there are also lots of uniques on the way up the tower, each giving a rune. Nets me 5+ runes per run.

Newbdungeon

Post by Newbdungeon » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:10 am

the arcane sanctuary is a good place, all of the chests at the end of one of the walk way that the summoner is not at, you can some times get like 3 runes out of one chest and theres usually 3 chests,

also bloodraven and the 2 dungeons by here

thats where i do all my runs at

WoTRaptoR

Post by WoTRaptoR » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:19 am

In act 2, the Maggot Lair with players 8 on yeilds a TON of runes. And for Act 3, you gotta hit lower kurast/kurast bazaar/etc. On players 8. The runeage will be immense.

NewbieModder
Angel

Post by NewbieModder » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:57 am

Hmm. I still like DeadRogueByTheInnerCloisterWaypointRuns. It just has that really stupid, never should be possible feel to it that I like.

I'll try Countess once I start playing Rune Mod again. As it stands, with 1.2, i'm having trouble. Mainly becuase I can't use game.exe to load DII, instead a different program. Using a modified version of the .vbs mod running scripts works partially, but then game freezes when loading a char. urgh.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:32 pm

The _BEST_ place for runes is the dungeons underneth the Kurast Bazaar/Inner Kurast (the name eludes me). In the second level, there are six chests that are "megadrops", and it only takes a minute, even less, to get there usually. I get hundreds of runes from there usually.

WoTRaptoR

Post by WoTRaptoR » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:41 am

Yeah, that place is good, and of course, do it on players 8 for maximum runeage.

LotU

Post by LotU » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:57 am

i think i found the best rune-run..
the blacksmith in act 1 dropps 4 runes and a goody bag and is really easy to kill

the_brainaic

Post by the_brainaic » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:35 pm

I think that unless your lucky, it's hard to get a good map seed for the blacksmith/butcher/flesh-eating human. For less powerful chars, I recommend doing the countess. As an Amazon, I can get all her minions out of her room, multi-shot them to death, and then *without* entering the room she is in, magic arrow he until she dies. This way I don't have to get hurt at all :) Plus, she drops runes and goodybags. And there are all the uniques on the way up (or down, I forget which one!)

My barb, however, finds that the arcane sanct has lots to offer. He has found one side, one corner if you will, that is short, has few monsters, and has nice chests with lots of stuff in. He has killed mephisto solo, but not without lots of deaths and he isn't really strong enough to deal with act 4 yet. I've yet to get WW or Beserk with him though.

LotU

Post by LotU » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:08 pm

you missunderstood me

i dont mean hephaisto runz
i mean the smith in act 1 (quest 5)
a lvl 10 char would allready be able to make these runz without problems and would need only 1-2 mins

to get down 5 levels of the countes tower needs more time and she dropps 2 or 3 runes and a goodybag

the smith dropps allways 4 runes and 1 or 2 goodybags

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:20 pm

Hehe I can tank just about anywhere. Brain u saw my Amazon :D
But yes, I do suggest Countess runs, they are very good for runes... and someone else mentioned the areas under the bazaar and upper kurast, those are very good for rune runs (and xp :))
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

the daeth of rats

Post by the daeth of rats » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:48 pm

as im still lvl 13 (havent been playing this mod for long) i like to do bishbosh runs. yes. that monster in the cold plains. hes an easy kill, hes always in the same stpo, i can run to him in seconds and the monsters dont pose any threat to me as i can easily out run them. he usualy gives 2 runes and some potions.
SQUEAK

Sobiius

Post by Sobiius » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:51 pm

Maggot Lair Level 2 is a nice drop zone on Players 8

Kurast Sewers Level 2 is the best though because you can turn on Players 8 just before entering and get some really really awesome drops without even having many harder monsters.
"It is easier to stab someone in the back than it is to look them in the eyes.
Society is built upon this principle, and it is universal amongst those who rule..."

Steel Rain

Post by Steel Rain » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:04 pm

Well, the fun thing with chests is that the drops are determined by the number of players at the current time, not by the time the chest was spawned. So you can just kill everything around any chest in "players 1" and then switch to "players 8" to open it.

And, talking about Kurast... in Lower Kurast, there are some chests that can spawn enormous amounts of items, too. Usually the two chests in those long huts where the corner facing you is open. I usually run for those, and then for Sewers lvl 2.

Lots of runes. :D

A good place in Act 1 are the dungeons under the cemetry. Easy to clear in players 1, and some nice runes for a starting char after switching to players 8. And even in players 1, Blood Raven has nice drops, usually 2 runes and a goody bag.
Last edited by Steel Rain on Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

jamespoppy

Post by jamespoppy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:05 am

mephisto runs are good as long as you get the durance wp near the durance lvl 3 door. i had him drop like 3 gooddy bags and some runes. and not to mention the nice chest behind him.
and if you have the good set up and your char is decent it should only take like 2 mins (killing mephy and all his minions)
Last edited by jamespoppy on Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewbieModder
Angel

Post by NewbieModder » Wed May 21, 2003 4:57 am

Actually, (i'm still low level), I've found that if you can get a good map seed, AHYWHERE near a waypoint can be viable in single. Just do multi until you get one of those houses-with-a-chest-that-drops-a-screenfull-of-items next to the waypoint, and single it to death. I got one in the Blood Moor right next to the Cold Plains waypoint. Of course, my single-player runs direct that I not get EXP (I stay balanced with a friend's char on my LAN)
[align=center]
Tyromancy:
Divination or magic using CHEESE - [/color]
[/align]
The Waffle Mod Website

b00z3r

Post by b00z3r » Fri May 23, 2003 4:15 am

I like the sewers lvl 2 in act 3 especially with players 8 on. i get 6 or 7 runes each rune run, i love it. the countress is good but i dont like it cuz it is too easy and i am lvl 35 sorc, so it doesnt really matter. in some cases, in nitemare act 1 and in normal act 5 i get runes with 2 elements some are ok but others suck for me.

Kasonic

Post by Kasonic » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:20 pm

Sewers Level 2 is Rune Heaven. The only monsters there are the Water Watchers and the occasional gang of mummies, and with players 8, I usually net about 20-30 runes, 2-4 gems, and at least 5 mana potions to make rejuvs with.

Plus, the Sewers lv2 entrance is a single screen away from the Bazaar stairs, and the waypoint is only about three screens away from that, so from Docks to Chests usually takes me about 45 seconds to a minute.

:twisted:

NewbieModder
Angel

Post by NewbieModder » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:47 am

If you *REALLY* want to be evil.... :twisted:
:!: (Disclaimer: This isn't to be done if you want the game to be fair. It's only intended for if you get bored and want to spice things up. Start a new character to do this so that you can go back to normal if things get too easy. If you do this and complain about balance, then you are missing the point. It's only for fun. Try this ONLY on single player.)
...open monstats.txt in the data/global/excel directory with a proper editor (if you're a modmaker, then you know what it is). Set ALL of the entries for the TreasueClass collumns (d2excel has "set column") to "Rune Drop", without the quotes. :twisted: Remember to back up the file. Then watch as every single monster drops runes, all the time. Does the fun ever end? :mrgreen: (Especially fun in ActIII, with those massive monster packs in the jungle)
[align=center]
Tyromancy:
Divination or magic using CHEESE - [/color]
[/align]
The Waffle Mod Website

Not A Llama

Post by Not A Llama » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:54 pm

i find anywhere with one of those good chests is a good rune run, especialy if you do "players 127" (i think that is max)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:17 pm

Players 64 is the maximum in 1.09b, which the Rune Mod is based on. Sir_General has not adjusted that limit, although it is an easy code fix. As far as I know, Zy-El is the only mod with an upper limit of 127.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”