Runemod Mini-FAQ

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

Steel Rain

Runemod Mini-FAQ

Post by Steel Rain » Mon May 05, 2003 5:40 pm

Well, I thought this forum might need a FAQ, since I think I've already seen certain questions twice... If you have any suggestions, comments or ideas for additional sections/questions, please don't hesitate to post them.
Sir_General's Runemod v 1.01 - the unofficial Mini-FAQ

1. Technical

1.1 How do I install the Mod correctly?
1.2 Where can I download the new launcher?
1.3 How do I play online?
1.4 I played the Runemod, and now I can't acess normal B.net servers in D2:LoD anymore!
1.5 The reward for Act 5, Quest 1 crashed my game!
1.6 What known bugs are there?

2. Items

2.1 How do I use runes?
2.2 What can I do with gems?
2.3 Which cube recipes are there?
2.4 Is there any use for jewels?
2.5 Where can I get class specific items in the beginning?
2.6 What are goody bags?
2.7 What kind of item modifiers aren't available?
2.8 Where do I get runes?

- - - - -

1. Technical

-

1.1 How do I install the Mod correctly?

To install, unzip the Mod into a folder of its own, then unzip the patch into the same folder. Make sure you are using the right file paths.

Now, I recommend you also download (see 1.2) the new launcher and unzip it into your Runemod directory. It fixes a problem where after a crash while playing, the original Diablo II .dlls couldn't be restored.

Double-click on "SGRuneMod.exe" (new Launcher; recommened) or "SG's Runemod.exe" (old launcgher) to start the Mod.

-

1.2 Where can I download the new launcher?

You can download it here.

-

1.3 How do I play online?

Unless SG's Server is online (check the homepage), you'll have to resort to play via TCP/IP if you want to play online.

-

1.4 I played the Runemod, and now I can't acess normal B.net servers in D2:LoD anymore!

There was a problem with the old laucher where the original BNClient.dll wouldn't get replaced correctly, so that only Sir_General's server was shown in the server list even in normal D2:LoD. So, you'll need a clean BNClient.dll and copy it into your Diablo II: LoD folder.

The new launcher shouldn't cause this problem anymore.

-

1.5 The reward for Act 5, Quest 1 crashed my game!

Yes, Sir_General hasn't been able to change the reward yet, and since there are no more sockets any more, it will crash your game when you use it. So just don't.

-

1.6 What known bugs are there?

There are some bugs in this mod. These are all that I know of:

+ Some monsters, like Duriel and the Scarab Demons in Act II might crash your game if you're unlucky.
+ The reward for Quest one in Act 5 will crash your game if you use it.
+ The runes created by the imbue quest in Nightmare or Hell cannot be used by any character that has already solved the imbue quest in normal.
+ Runes created in the cube often have really crappy properties.
+ Enhanced Assassin claws with a bit of extra damage and +skills don't spawn.
+ Some item properties unique to the runemod, like the +% resist all based on vitality, do not work.

- - - -

2. Items

-

2.1. How do I use runes?

Right-click on the rune, then left-click on the item you want to use it on.

-

2.2 What can I do with Gems?

You can either use them for cube recipes or sell them for money.

-

2.3 Which cube recipes are there?

Most of the recipes from Diablo II are still there (upgrading gems, etc), except those that have no more use (i.e. adding sockets or re-rolling rares). Also, there are some new recipies:

5 runes => 1 random rune of the same type as the last one you put into the cube

1 rune + 1 gem => 1 new rune of the same type, level and element of the new rune depend on the gem:
chipped -> level 1, flawed -> level 2, normal -> level 3, flawless -> level 4, perfect -> level 5
ruby -> fire, topaz -> lightning, emerald -> earth, sapphire -> water, amethyst -> wind, skull/diamond -> random element

The results are very disappointing, though. You might just want to sell those gems and gamble for goody bags instead.

-

2.4 Is there any use for jewels?

Yes, you can sell them and use the gold to gamble for goody bags. (yes, there really is no other use)

-

2.5 Where can I get class specific items in the beginning?

The chests in the two dungeons under the cemetry are a good place to find class specific items early on in the game.

There are no spruced up versions of Assassin claws though, because a bug seems to prevent them from dropping.

-

2.6 What are goody bags?

Goody bags items that may get you any of the following six things when right-clicked on: gold, gems, charms, class specifics, runes or nothing. You can gamble them or find them in chests or pick them up from the cold bodies of your slain enemies. Especially Superuniques tend to drop them.

-

2.7 What kind of item modifiers aren't available?

There are no runes that give +skills, except the one you can imbue as a reward Act 1 quest 5 (this only works in one difficulty, though. Due to a bug, runes from other difficulties will display "you cannot use this rune"). Faster hit recovery and faster run are only avaiable from charms, and faster blocking, faster cast and increased attack speed are out of the game.

Also, sockets have been removed from the game completely (also see 1.5).

-

2.8 Where do I get runes?

The runes used to imbue your items with an element can be bought from the merchants.

Itemrunes can be found throughout the game in the field. Every unique monster will drop at least one rune, while superuniques often better loot, often including goody bags. Chests are a good place to find runes, too. There are a few special ones that will "pop" a lot of stuff. A good place to find those are the Tower (Countess quest) in Act 1, the Maggot Lair and the Arcane Sanctuary in Act2 and Lower Kurast and Sewers Level 2 in Act3.

Last edited by Steel Rain on Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about." - Oscar Wilde

the_brainaic

Re: Runemod Mini-FAQ

Post by the_brainaic » Mon May 05, 2003 6:24 pm

There is also a known bug where you imbue a rune in Act one, quest 5, and then use it, and then you go to Nightmare, act 1 quest 5, do the same quest and inbue a rune. The rune will then say 'This rune cannot be used' or something to that effect. THIS IS A KNOWN BUG

Steel Rain

Post by Steel Rain » Mon May 05, 2003 8:24 pm

Yeah, you're right. I added it to the last question.

I think the bug is caused by some sort of protection mechanism that is supposed to prevent you from making multiple lvl 8 chars to 'harvest' imbue quest runes... I'm pretty sure you could still use the runes with a char that has not yet completed/started Act1Q5.

the_brainaic

Post by the_brainaic » Thu May 08, 2003 2:00 pm

You might want to add that all unique monsters drop at least one rune.

Steel Rain

Post by Steel Rain » Thu May 08, 2003 2:11 pm

Good Idea. I added it as a new question... "Where do I get runes?"

the_brainaic

Post by the_brainaic » Thu May 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Add the Countess as a good place to find runes - there are 5 uniques on the way, chests that 'pop' a lot of stuff can be found in the tower as well.

Steel Rain

Post by Steel Rain » Sat May 10, 2003 1:22 am

I added the countess/tower to "Where can I find runes?", added the download location of the new launcher (as well as mentioning it in the installation part) and added a new question (1.4) about B.net server problems caused by the old launcher.
Last edited by Steel Rain on Sat May 10, 2003 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Sat May 17, 2003 7:52 am

You might wanna add the bug of act V quest 1, with the so called 'indestructable' making quest reward.
SG Runemod mirror: http://sylver_4.tripod.com/ (v1.01 + new launcher)

Steel Rain

Post by Steel Rain » Sat May 17, 2003 12:36 pm

I added it. Thanks.

I think I should make something like a "What known bugs are there?" question.

let's see... Duriel and Scarab Demon crashes, NM/Hell Imbue quest, Quest 1 Act 5 reward, crappy cubed runes, assa claws not spawning...

So, what did I miss? I'm pretty sure there's more than those five...

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Tue May 20, 2003 3:53 pm

:?:

Assassin claw not spawning : pretty sure to have see dropped assassin claw! (katar, at least...)

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

the_brainaic

Post by the_brainaic » Tue May 20, 2003 5:39 pm

No, you read it wrong. The added damage (2-4 instead of 1-3) claws are not dropping, thats the difference.

dudeman734

Post by dudeman734 » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:11 am

i extracted all the stuff to its own folder, used the updated launcher, and added all the files that were missing, and finally was able to get into the game, but the items were still normal d2, ie they had magic suffixes and prefixes and original damage. what am i doing wrong?

Shvegait

Post by Shvegait » Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:41 pm

Yeah, I just had the exact same problem when I tried it today... Then I checked the launcher and saw I got a message that said "Diablo II is still running. Waiting for it to finish," even though it wasn't running until after I hit the "Play" button. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Ignore this. I was just being stupid and only downloaded 1.01 without 1.00... :oops: Works fine now :)
Last edited by Shvegait on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExaMind

Post by ExaMind » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:09 pm

I seem to have just found a bug that isn't listed in this Mini-FAQ.

I recently took my sorceress through act 2 nightmare, and along the way I got an interesting item drop. Apparently, the flying scimitars which spawn out of chests and the like and sometimes drop scimitars when they die have not had their drops changed in runemod to prevent the higher difficulty ones from dropping higher quality scimitars...so I found a cutlass off of one. Not particularly useful to my sorceress, as she never uses melee attacks anyway, but it has normal stats (8-21 base damage, higher str and dex requirements, and level 25 required to use it)

-ExaMind-

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:47 am

That might mean the upgrade fields in the items tables were either untouched or you missed one, SG.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Bloodless

Post by Bloodless » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:40 am

Any of your links doesn't working...it's say your request not found...What is it?
What's happen?
Something broken...
Waht's broken,Alice?
I'm broken (c) Alice

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:26 pm

Could you please be more precise in describing your problem, so maybe I can help you.

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:12 pm

The ones in the FAQ.

It's because they point to xfernet still, which used to host our files.
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:54 am

Oh you need a link to download the mod? Use the one in my sig. I hope there aren't any bandwith restrictions...

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 pm

you might want to add that this is a 1.09 mod to point 1.1 'How do I install the Mod correctly'
there are still a lot of people who don't know this

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”