for what version?

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

No votes

Total votes: 0

Voodoo_Sun
Paladin

for what version?

Post by Voodoo_Sun » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:16 pm

Is there a Rune Mod for 1.10???? thanks
Your Life is Your Own. Life it for Yourself.
Only Sheep Stand in Line

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: for what version?

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:32 am

Not yet.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:05 pm

I'm working on the latest version, but things are going slowly and I just don't have as much time as I used to.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

elementz123

Post by elementz123 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:31 pm

Do you have an estimate to when it might be out?

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:02 am

If I gave an estimate I could almost certainly guarantee that it would be wrong. I'm using the Rune Mod as a sort of test project for another Diablo II modding thing so I have to complete one and the other together, little bits at a time. When there's something worth noting, I'll mention it.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:05 pm

I think that I speak for the minority when I say that we fully support everything you do, regarless of how long it takes to complete. We know that the things you make are worthwhile waiting for! :)

Still, I think it would be nice to get a glimpse of the progress you're making, say some screens or something. At least an update on the website. :roll:
SG Runemod mirror: http://sylver_4.tripod.com/ (v1.01 + new launcher)

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:37 am

Well, there's lot of stuff that I just haven't decided about. Some strong possibilities (and feel free to give your opinions):

A classless system where you choose your appearance (Paladin, Sorceress, Druid, etc) and your skills seperately. The skills you can choose depend on the elements you have selected for your character.

A more advanced map/quest/area system. The idea is to have a kind of world map that is set up almost like a board. You would be able to go to the original places (such as the Rouge Encampment and Lut Gol-whatever) but there would also be additional side places for each act. These places would have optional quests, new places to explore, etc.

Unremovable items... as in you can't take your equipment off. A friend suggested this to stop people from giving other people lots of uber items. I think the level system will stop this, though, and I don't really like the idea.

An Ogre Battle (if you've played it) style class system for items. In other words you have a sword and at a certain level it can become an X sword or a Y sword. Then an X sword can be come a Z sword or an A sword and a Y sword can become a B sword or a C sword and so on. Each different sword has different base stats and some unique bonuses.

Item stat points for each level. Since all of the item's rune attributes will be based on a big elemental calculation we thought it would be a good idea to have some that weren't. The idea is that an item gets, say... 5 stat points per a level. Then you can go into a screen and do something like... 1 stat point gives 3 attack rating (not based on anything, just like a normal magical bonus) or 1 stat point gives 1 minimum damage or 3 stat points gives 1 fire damage or whatever. The magical mods you can use your stat points on would probably be determined by the elements of the item.

A closed game server. This is an enormous project in and of itself. IF YOU REALLY WANT THIS TELL ME and I'll work on it. I haven't decided but I really do need to start soon if I'm going to try and do it. I only have a real general idea of how I might do this.

There were some others but I can't remember them right now.

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:37 am

Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:A classless system where you choose your appearance (Paladin, Sorceress, Druid, etc) and your skills seperately. The skills you can choose depend on the elements you have selected for your character.
Sounds like an excellent idea, as long as it works as it's intended to.
Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:A more advanced map/quest/area system. The idea is to have a kind of world map that is set up almost like a board. You would be able to go to the original places (such as the Rouge Encampment and Lut Gol-whatever) but there would also be additional side places for each act. These places would have optional quests, new places to explore, etc.
Ok now that would just be amazing, totally go for that one.
Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:Unremovable items... as in you can't take your equipment off. A friend suggested this to stop people from giving other people lots of uber items. I think the level system will stop this, though, and I don't really like the idea.
Hmm... I dont like level requirements...
Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:An Ogre Battle (if you've played it) style class system for items. In other words you have a sword and at a certain level it can become an X sword or a Y sword. Then an X sword can be come a Z sword or an A sword and a Y sword can become a B sword or a C sword and so on. Each different sword has different base stats and some unique bonuses.
How would you possibly accomplish this?? That sounds pretty insane... and how would it work with elements, etc....
Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:Item stat points for each level. Since all of the item's rune attributes will be based on a big elemental calculation we thought it would be a good idea to have some that weren't. The idea is that an item gets, say... 5 stat points per a level. Then you can go into a screen and do something like... 1 stat point gives 3 attack rating (not based on anything, just like a normal magical bonus) or 1 stat point gives 1 minimum damage or 3 stat points gives 1 fire damage or whatever. The magical mods you can use your stat points on would probably be determined by the elements of the item.
Sounds good to me.. would you be able to save up these item points and spend them when you need them or for some bigger bonus... Like some bonuses require 8 points or something?
Sir_General";p="153454" wrote:A closed game server. This is an enormous project in and of itself. IF YOU REALLY WANT THIS TELL ME and I'll work on it. I haven't decided but I really do need to start soon if I'm going to try and do it. I only have a real general idea of how I might do this.
I'll tell you right now :: OH HELL YEAH!!! ... but mind you there might not be such a big following for this one as others....
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:45 pm

I vote HELL YEAH on the closed server thing too :)

And I think when planetdiablo tells the people how great a mod the runemod is there will be a nice following in due time. :cool:
SG Runemod mirror: http://sylver_4.tripod.com/ (v1.01 + new launcher)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:10 am

I don't know Ogre Battle, so I can't say much about that one. But in general those are good ideas.

Closed servers take a fair amount of administration. Do you have the time? If you made a closed-server version, perhaps a person with more time would be willing to administer it (or you could hook up with a system such as keto's DVR).
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

ahteck

Post by ahteck » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:58 am

the classless system and choose your own skills style sounds really good. :mrgreen: this is what i have been looking for in a d2 mod forever. if you allow the players to choose thier own appearance for the player character, there is no telling where the possibilities end. maybe even include d1 char and bg/icewind/planescape chars such as shenrical and fall from grace :D

edit : oh. forget that. i just remembered that only 7 playable characters are allowed
Last edited by ahteck on Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

MindChild
Paladin

Post by MindChild » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:04 am

even if only 7 characters are allowed, another stat could be used to determine looks, then it wouldn't be limited to 7 would it? though, this would be a task to get all animations in :P

And the skies parted. The earth trembled and the seas poured into the endless cracks of hell's mouth. Only he who remains is chosen to be the next, and only he who remains will survive the final battle.

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:08 am

ahteck";p="153718" wrote: edit : oh. forget that. i just remembered that only 7 playable characters are allowed
Code editing is a wondeful thing. :)

There are ways around... well mostly everything.
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Psycho Chickenz

Post by Psycho Chickenz » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:11 pm

I'm all for these additions to the mod. It sounds like it will be one awesome mod.

But, what I really want to see is a version of the rune mod that works with 1.10. One that is pretty much exactly the same as the last one but allowing for the synergy bonuses and not having you repatch the game if you want to play it. Please S_G, give us something to play while we are waiting for your masterpiece.

Now I don't mean to be rude, but by the time you have implemented all that you want to do Blizzard might have brought out Diablo III (but knowing them I doubt it :lol: )

That's all I have to say about that.
I know what you're thinking and if I told you, you'd think I was talking in centimetres.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:42 am

If Blizzard wants to release Diablo III, they better hire Sir_General. Many of the Diablo series creators left Blizzard.
~ Mark Twain

Wlffrsether

Post by Wlffrsether » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:34 am

If there ever is going to be any diablo2-modder Hall of Fame, Sir_General should certainly be in it. He is, by far, the most inventive modder out there that I have seen, even thoug he has not released much, but that is what we always see. The really good productions takes time to put together, especially when the crew consists of very few people, but they are all worth waiting for.

Patience is a virtue, but because I lack some, I to would really love to se a 1.10 compitable version of the already-existing version om The Rune-Mod.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:17 pm

I was actually thinking of getting the old 1.09b DLLs together (I still have them), fixing a few of the more prominent bugs in the old version (the animation crash comes to mind...), and putting that up on the site. That shouldn't take more than a day or two if anyone is interested. I'd ofer a 1.10 of the same thing but I really haven't gotten around to finding everything that I'd need to update so that could take well over a month in and of itself (especially with my current work/class schedule).

Wlffrsether

Post by Wlffrsether » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:57 pm

I say:

If it takes you only a couple of days: Go for it.
More than a week: Continue on your new masterpiece.

This probably shows a lack of patience, but the less delay on the new version, the better.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by Wlffrsether on Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:33 pm

This probably shows a lack of patience, but the less delay on the new version, the better.
Well, as some people may have noticed, I hate to go back and work on things I've already done... I always like to go forward and find a new challenge. This only came to mind because I located an even earlier version of the Rune Mod not long ago (the one where I first introduced elements). I was even thinking of putting that one up (I think it's v1.09x compatible because there's no code editing). Maybe I still will... just a the standard DLL swapper script and throw in my text files and there you go... "classic" Rune Mod. :)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:08 am

Wlffrsether";p="154227" wrote:If there ever is going to be any diablo2-modder Hall of Fame, Sir_General should certainly be in it.
There is, and he is in it. :mrgreen: It does need a little updating, recent significant advances are not included.
~ Mark Twain

battle_plans

Post by battle_plans » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:37 am

all that stuff your saying your going to do sound cool but alot of time i havent played this mod b4 but i'd really like to so even if u could chage the old one to 1.10 would be great but if u dont want to or to busy with other this (the new ver) i'll be just as happy to wait

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:53 am

Or you can go here and see one way to switch between 1.09x and 1.10 at will.
~ Mark Twain

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”