a question of balance

Information and updates for Sir_General's Rune mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Sir_General

No votes

Total votes: 0

Murdoch

a question of balance

Post by Murdoch » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:18 am

will there be a 'cap' on how high the powers of items, or will they be allowed to get as good as you can make them before passing them on to your new characters, a few generations down the line when you get items that all have +10% xp +1 level and so on, with damages on the order of the ridiculousness of open battlenet?

There could be creul and unusual ways to deal with this, such as items loose 10% effectiveness each time a quest is completed, dropped on the ground or another trigger. But the resoruseful player will still have more mox than Mel Brooks.

Felt I had to bring this up, did not see it in any of the other threads, admitedly got a bit tired of reading. The previous incarnations of the rune mod kicked ass, and the next one looks to do the same, but this seems to need to be addressed. Mabye have the runes affect the character instead of items. Now there's a bad thought. That's my damage for the day good night all.
Use what thou will shall be the whole of the web.
File under will, file is the web.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: a question of balance

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:59 am

In 1.10 it is a straightforward process to limit how high a stat can grow and set a level requirement so boosted items aren't easy to twink.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:55 am

I mentioned previously that items will have a level system of their own. An item will only be able to get to the same level as the person using it and to equip an item you must be the same level or a higher level than that item. Since the levels will directly effect the power of an item this will be a limiter of sorts.

I will say that I haven't fully worked this out and am still testing it so I may make it that an item will be able to be twice the level of a person or half the level of a person. I don't know. I may also make it so that once a player reaches their max level the item can still go much higher but still be used (allowing items to become real powerful through time, but only with a high level player using it).

Also remember that the items strength will also be effected by the player's elemental strengths. This means that a low level player won't be able to provide as much of a bonus to an item as a high level player.

All in all, balance is a big issue with this version and I hope to get things to the point where there is a strong challenge for the player but plenty of incentive for them to keep fighting away.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:01 pm

Sir_General";p="153227" wrote: All in all, balance is a big issue with this version and I hope to get things to the point where there is a strong challenge for the player but plenty of incentive for them to keep fighting away.
Does this mean that there will be a 'public' beta version of the new runemod?
SG Runemod mirror: http://sylver_4.tripod.com/ (v1.01 + new launcher)

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:17 am

Yes, at some point I'm sure there will be.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Sylver

Post by Sylver » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:45 pm

Ow goody, /me likes beta's :)
SG Runemod mirror: http://sylver_4.tripod.com/ (v1.01 + new launcher)

Return to “Sir_Generals Rune Mod”