Which skill to use with my lvl 40 sorc?

Information and discussion for the Baldur's Gate Mod.

<t>Which Skill should I get besides Nova?</t>

Snowstorm
14%
Blizzard
14%
Tstorm
29%
Meteor
14%
Hydra
14%
Other
14%

Total votes: 7

KnarlyDude

Which skill to use with my lvl 40 sorc?

Post by KnarlyDude » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:29 am

Ok I just got my sorc to level 40, and she has:
1 to all the cold skills except Blizzard
20 to Nova, 4 to Lightning mastery (25,7 with equip = 617-639 damage)
8 to warmth, 1 to flamestrike
3 unspent skill pts
+2 teleport on a ring

(hey don't knock the flamestrike, I made it to lvl 19 spending only 1 point in flamestrike & 3 in warmth.)

My question is (drumroll please):
What is a good skill to max next?

I'm thinking I want to get a decent level of thunderstorm, because it seems to have a longer range than nova, and it doesn't trigger multiple lightning bursts if the leb is the only monster on the screen (the lightning is continuous). BUT if I do that will I have enuff pts left to get good effect on another non lightning skill?
Which does more damage: Snowstorm or Blizzard?
I'm thinking that I need a skill that is long range, because if the monster attribute spawning is similar to d2, I'll start getting lightning enchanted lightning immunes in hell, and if I have a weak spell as a non lightning spell, it better be a long range one.
I'm using an a5 merc, & he's pretty tuff.

Right now the nova is a huge mana hog... she can't keep up with 416 mana, she's drinkin pots like there's no tomorrow. I figure this will cease being a problem when she hits about 800 mana, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm leery of goin with fire, becuz of the fire mastery needed...
I looked at what cold mastery is when maxed, and it's like -147% ... which theoretically means triple damage, right?

KnarlyDude

Update: skills picked

Post by KnarlyDude » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:12 pm

My Nova/TS/Blizzard/Snowstorm sorc is now lvl 58 in act 4 hell. I'm not gonna even attempt a4, because she doesn't have anough resist/ac/health (I do have 111 unspent skill pts however, and 400h/900 mana with equipment on).

Here are some conclusions I've drawn:

#1: NOVA STINKKKKSSSSSS DO NOT GET IT!!!
Use Tsorm, it whales the tar out of nova
If you must use nova, only put 1 pt to it, and max the mastery, or boost with a staff or something, just don't max nova, cuz u won't use it. Even with 900 mana you will still run out of mana... and buying mana pots is problematic depending on the act you're in.

#2: LEB's come up a LOT... some of them are cold+light immune... which means that you probably want to do a tri-elementalist.

#3: A5 mercs in hell don't have enuff hp's (he was fine up through nightmare, like 4 hits & he's dead from a superuniqe.)

I was going to say that Thunderstorm is Over-powered, but on thinking about it a little more I'd say that because of all the superunique lightning enchanteds, all the other spells are under-powered.

Rundown of the spells I've used and my thoughts about each one:

Tstorm = Pwnage, the only Lightning skill a high lvl char needs.

Snow Storm: Bad skill to use because it has less range than blizzard, and it it slower than frost nova. It does more damage because it is non-timered though.

Blizzard: I wasn't planning on getting this one, but for another sorc this would be one to think about using. It is however timered.

Hydra: I got this one on a ring, and even at it's low level, it is VERY handy. This one is for situations like MSLEBS or regular lebs that u can't handle.

Frost Nova: Keeps ur merc alive... (oh try adding IAS to ur mercs gear. With the combination of life tap and the IAS, he will stay alive longer) NOT a killing spell, same with ice cloud.

Cold Mastery: Cold master starts falling off after Level 7..... WHY??? if anything it should increase... I mean if ur gonna devote all those pts to one skill, then u'd better get something out of it.

Lightning mastery 15% per level, linear, with no falloff.

Summary: Build Tri-elementalists, emphasize the masteries, hoard ur skill pts for those lvl 40 skills. (This means that rushed chars will have MUCH better skill pt distributions than non-rush)

KnarlyDude

She killed baal

Post by KnarlyDude » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:00 am

She killed off baal at level 76 (act 5 was piece of cake compared to act 4). One thing that I'm not sure is mentioned or not, but somewhere at level 65 or so you start getting 3 skill pts per level. OH yeah :) ty guys, I guess you don't haveta be nearly as skill point miserly in the lower levels. (I spent only 4 skill points up to level 19)

Getting Tstorm was a BIG help, that's the main killer, everything else is too slow. See, cold mastery & fire mastery both have dimishing returns, but NOT lightning mastery. I was playing with calculating different skill levels vs damage, and it looks like u get the best damage for cold and fire skills if you keep the cold master at the same level as the skill.

I'm now workin on a zon... she's in a5 norm now.

Return to “Baldur's Gate Mod”