How to use the Book of Skills and Scrolls???

Information and updates for TFW: Ancients (D2 v1.09x) and Awakening (D2 v1.10) mods. If you have any questions or suggestions about either mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: Myhrginoc, SiLenTx, Deathscythe

No votes

Total votes: 0

SiLenTx
Retired staff
Angel

Post by SiLenTx » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:17 am

Books will tend to work on all characters in next version but it'll take some time ofcourse :P Damn! 1.10 :x Grrrr!

O'mortus

Post by O'mortus » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:16 am

That's Blizzard for ya', taking their sweet time. Also, if they don't fix the Paladin's Sanctuary aura melee damage in this patch, do you have any plans to set it to what it should be?

Spock

Re: How to use the Book of Skills and Scrolls???

Post by Spock » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:03 am

My Druid has a Summoner's Book of Iron Golem. I have combined it with a scarab and a scrol of Iron Golem and have set it to use with a right mouse click.

The only problem is I don't know what item to use ...

In my list of skills it states, "Iron Golem - Creates a Golem from an Item."

What Item!?!?!?!?

:growl:

:iamwithstupid:
Last edited by Spock on Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Str1per

Post by Str1per » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:16 pm

Did u try it with an item made of steel (sword, armor etc.).

Spock

Post by Spock » Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:28 am

Yes I did, but I may have "used" it improperly ... :-|

[Added]
After your comment, I went back in and tried again. I bought a cheap knife, laid it on the ground, and right-clicked on it. Out came an Iron Golem!

Thanks. Now I have that working, I also have a book of Golem Mastery and another of Minion Mastery. What do those do for me? They don't seem to have anything I can select to right click, they're just there.
Last edited by Spock on Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Str1per

Post by Str1per » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:30 am

The simplest way to find this out, create a necro and look at this skills, what they do. IIRC golem mastery increases speed and vit? of a golem, minion mastery doesnt word on golem.

PS: look for strong weapons, because the iron golem takes on the mods of the weapon. I.e. life leech is very interesting ;) .
Last edited by Str1per on Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spock

Post by Spock » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:02 pm

Str1per:
Thanks for the ideas about Golem Mastery.

Wouldn't Minion Mastery apply to ones Mercenary?

Mad_Monarch

Post by Mad_Monarch » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:01 am

Consider your mercenary as a partner not a minion, They benefit from you as much as you benefit from them.

as for the throwing an lightning/fire/cold masteries.....I am wondering that myself, has it been incorporated to work with classes such as the zon and her Fire Arrow?, or a druid and his Fire Claws.....Or is this being implemented for the next version?

Spock

Post by Spock » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:25 pm

Mad_Monarch:
Hmm. Does that mean I can get rid of minion mastery or does it then apply to the wolves, ravens, etc. that I create to fight with me?

It does take up a lot of valuable space ...

NeoGenocide
Paladin

Post by NeoGenocide » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:25 am

I htink the wolves and ravens are considered minions just like the skeletons and golems.

Verbatim
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Verbatim » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:21 pm

On the subject of elemental masteries, I know it's been thrown around a lot that lightning mastery not only works with Holy Shock, but actually gets applied *twice* to the lightning damage--once before it's applied to the weapon, and once after it's applied to the weapon.

Fire and Lit masteries not only increase elemental skill damage, but even increase the damage from charms/jewels/gems that "add lit/fire dmg". Pop a lighsaber on a zealot, add lit mastery, and you should see a few points of dmg increase, even without using any elemental skills.

Holy Shock (and I suppose likely Holy Fire as well, though HF is a lousy skill) is a special case...it gets amplified both due to LM's skill boosting effect, and then a second time due to LM's boosting final melee elemental damage. The aura damage only gets multiplied once, in the skill phase. The total increase to lit dmg on Holy Shock from a lvl 1 Lit Mastery (+50%) would be (base * 1.5) * 1.5, which simplifies to approximately base * 2.25, or base +125%, so if these LM charms are working, you should see Tesladin (HS zealot) max lit damage on the character screen more than double with just a lvl 1 LM charm. If you're not feeling the difference, either it means you're already doing enough dmg to insta-kill non-lit-immunes, or the charms aren't working.

It's possible Lit Fury could get a double boost to on-wep lit dmg, if there is any (never played Zon much, too ugly), but the bolts that fire off when the javelin hits would only get the stated bonus...since lit mastery is known to apply twice to HS dmg, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't affect LF dmg on either step, so I'm guessing if you're seeing nothing, the charms probably aren't working at all for anyone.

(This is all based on 1.10, so if this mod is for anything else, it could work differently)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:48 am

Seeing as how the previous message was March 2003, your answer is unlikely to be read by many of the people who were writing then. Of course, it predates 1.10 by a few months, and the released version of this mod is 1.09x in any case. Except for the alpha release, there is no 1.10 TFW.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:20 pm

Alpha 2 for D2 v1.10 is out, and the book system is a little different. You now cannot gamble or buy books or scrolls. You need to find a leather cover to start a book, then cube it with a scroll to get a Level 1 book of skill. Book skills are no longer charges, they have become "other skills" as if you learned them. Successive scrolls can be cubed to increase the book's potency.

If a skill is in your class trees, you will get the book level until you actually learn the skill through skill point investment. Once that happens, the most any book can give you is +3 to that skill, on top of your learned level. If you cannot learn the skill, the book tops out at +15.

Each skill level you advance the book increases the level requirement to use the book.
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

ryuken

Post by ryuken » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 am

Do u know my book level can only up to +5 max only??
Last edited by ryuken on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 pm

You have to be in a higher difficulty to raise it beyond level 5.
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

horan
Paladin

Post by horan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:27 pm

well +15 cap seems too low...
how about +20 in hell cow farm? (finished unleashed fury level)
and even more in those future "secret levels"
:p
to be or not to be that is a question...

TFW Network@Hamachi : TFW_Fans#01 / Pass: TFW
TFW Fan Site : tfwfans.googlepages.com

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Non-character skills are supposed to be bonuses, not necessarily primary strategic elements themselves. I may allow more than +15, in Unleashed Fury only, but I would then make the per-point level boosts rather expensive.
~ Mark Twain

horan
Paladin

Post by horan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:12 am

[quote=Myhrginoc";p="307170"]I may allow more than +15, in Unleashed Fury only,[/quote]
great to hear that!

[quote=Myhrginoc";p="307170"]I would then make the per-point level boosts rather expensive.[/quote]
not quite understand this part :(
to be or not to be that is a question...

TFW Network@Hamachi : TFW_Fans#01 / Pass: TFW
TFW Fan Site : tfwfans.googlepages.com

ryuken

Post by ryuken » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:34 am

[quote=Phlebiac";p="307134"]You have to be in a higher difficulty to raise it beyond level 5.[/quote]

Yup, just go into <nightmare>, can raise the lvl. to 10++.

But, those minions i summon at lvl.10++ still 'die instantly' when i walk out from camp.
I think lvl.15 skill book really don't help at all in <hell>......... :(

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:47 am

Currently, each skill level increases the level requirement for the book itself by +2 up to slvl 5, then +5 up to slvl 15. If I allow more slvls, the next step might be by +10 or +15.

Which book minions die easily in the later game? If it is a lower level skill, they aren't supposed to help that much.
~ Mark Twain

ryuken

Post by ryuken » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Iron Golem - lvl.1 - (cannot find more)
SHadow Warrior lvl.6
Viper Claw - lvl.12

Mages Skeleton lvl.11

+ Defiance Aura lvl.10

May be they are low level skill, i really forgot..... :-|

------------------------

Regarding the minion mastery, i had tried to put a lvl.5 minion mastery skill book in inventory, but it does not change the status of my minions.
Does it work from skill book to skill book??
Last edited by ryuken on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:14 am

Mages and Shadow Warrior should be high enough level to help you get into middle Heart of Rage, but they should be seriously underpowered in Unleashed Fury. The others are all low level. Valkyrie, Shadow Master, Dark Giant are all higher level spells that should last in early Unleashed Fury. Late Unleashed Fury should be high-level character and innate skills, plus some assists from passive and aura Books. Guy and I can look at ramping up the minions a bit, and adding a few book levels as Unleashed Fury only recipes will increase the bar.

About Minion Mastery, it depends on how oskills ("off-class skills") work internally. A lot of this stuff is still hardcoded, and the game may not allow oskills to have impact on other oskills. (Does Fire Mastery boost a book-granted fire skill?) Blizzard did not do a thorough job of implementing oskills, as the continuing problems with animation sequence using skills demonstrates. If it doesn't help in book form, it may be a useless oskill. I suppose a list of non-working or class-restricted oskills would be good to develop. Then those recipes would be dropped or class-limited and I wouldn't be carrying all 630 (soon to be 840) book recipes in my Cubemain.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Mark Twain

ryuken

Post by ryuken » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 am

Not really sure about oskills, but, it seem does not work for my Sorceress minon.

How about those passive skill book??
eg.
Amazon - Dodge.
I put a lvl.5 Dodge for my sorceress for while, but never saw her dodge any attack.
Really not sure it is working or not...... :?:
How do i know my sorceress having the dodge skill??

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:48 am

Unless passives affect stats you can see (either animation or stats pages or both), you have to take it on faith until some action occurs that makes the passive obvious. In the case of dodge/avoid/evade, only the amazon actually has those animations, so any non-amazon may stand still or use a get-hit animation. (I never checked on it myself.)

While it would be nice if every skill would work with every class as an oskill, Blizzard didn't code the game fully for that, so we have to work with what we have. I still have a "roll random scroll for X scrolls in the cube" task to pursue, so either save up for a future patch or sell those non-working books. (Skill Books and scrolls have no inherent value, so the books get more than 1gp only based on the stats they get when you first make them.)
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mark Twain

Dreadlord90
Paladin

Post by Dreadlord90 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 pm

I was using dodge/avoid/evade on a paladin, and I think it works. At least you can HEAR amazon's avoiding shouts :))
We waited centuries for this moment. The rivers will flow with blood of those who oppose us. Kane

Return to “The Fury Within: Ancients & Awakening”