Me newb FAQ

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

No votes

Total votes: 0

Ralgar

Re: Me newb FAQ

Post by Ralgar » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:28 pm

Myhrginoc";p="106745" wrote:You don't want to do that, you would be copying several very large files. Fortunately that isn't necessary. All you need to do is make a subdirectory under your game directory for each mod you want to play. There are several ways to run mods, but one of the easiest is to download this script package (follow the link). If you have the default installation:....
where can i found that tool now, and how is it called?

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:26 am

Nothing is permanent, not even the host for the Phrozen Keep. When I posted the link to the mod launching script, we were with Xfernet. Now we are with PlanetDiablo (again, long story), so the scripts are here.

(A tip of the hat to Éowyn for triggering my attention. :) )

[edit - updated link]
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Ralgar

Post by Ralgar » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:10 am

RazorsKiss_

Post by RazorsKiss_ » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:55 am

where can I find the file that lets me play both ME and the regular LoD? i checked the link but it says the file center has been merged with the forums, and I've checked through them but have not found it...

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:29 am

It isn't a file, it is the way you set up the mod. If you run the mod in its own subdirectory, and use the scripts from my message above (dated Nov 12 2003), you should be able to run the mod with the script and regular LoD without.
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

RazorsKiss_

Post by RazorsKiss_ » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:29 pm

Yes, I read that, but when I click the link it says
The Filecenter has been integrated into the Keep's Portal Pages.
One can find the new FC here.

- The Phrozen Staff
Thus i followed the link and then I come to the main downloads page. I am not sure where it is located- I checked the Downloadable Resources page, but none of them seemed to be it, and I am not sure where it is located and what the file name is...

EDIT- nevermind, found the right forum, but still not sure which file. will try one of the mod switchign programs, see how it works.
Last edited by RazorsKiss_ on Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:50 pm

Hand me an extra large slice of humble pie! :oops: :oops: I should have checked that link. It is now correct, or you can use this link.
~ Mark Twain

RazorsKiss_

Post by RazorsKiss_ » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:29 am

hehe np, i found it :)

timmermac
Paladin
United States of America

Post by timmermac » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Quote from Myhrginoc:
You don't want to do that, you would be copying several very large files. Fortunately that isn't necessary. All you need to do is make a subdirectory under your game directory for each mod you want to play. There are several ways to run mods, but one of the easiest is to download this script package (follow the link). If you have the default installation
End Quote from Myhrginoc

It might not be necessary, but if you've got enough room on your hard drive, and larger hard drives are becoming very common nowadays, copying your original, unmodded D2 folder and pasting its contents into a new folder for your mod is a very practical way of insuring that you don't get multiple mods confused with each other. I currently have 7 different mods, each with its own folder, and each with a full copy of Diablo II and LOD in place. I also still have unmodded D2LOD in its originally installed location. I also still have 22.6 GB of hard drive space. And that's with another 10-15 GB of mp3's and wav files on that same hard drive. It can be done, and rather easily at that.
I'd like to apologize in advance for anything that I may say or do that could be construed as offensive as I slowly go NUTS. - Colonel O'Neill

I'm telling you, Teal'c. If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna' lose it.
"Lose it. " It means, "Go crazy. " "Nuts. " "Insane. " "Bonzo. " "No longer in possession of one's faculties. " "Three fries short of a Happy Meal. " "Wacko. "

Oldih

Post by Oldih » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:12 pm

Nice script indeed and very useful.

Richardc269

D2 Mod

Post by Richardc269 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Alright. I downloading the Middle Earth mod, and I did the whole "direct" thing in the shortcut, but it gives me an error when starting up (And yes the files are in the "data" folder, and no, they didn't overwrite another "data" folder.)

The error it gives me is "Cannot Load Game" or something before LoD starts up from Windows (not loading a game from in the SP). It says the error number is 182 or something. Now...do I need the "original" Patch_D2.MPQ file from the D2 cd, or does it not matter which one it is?

Now, also, I lost my "Install" disc to the original D2, so I only have 2 of the 3 cd's and I can't replace that .mpq file.

Thirdly, my version of D2 is 1.10, I won't download 1.11 because I can't replace the .mpq file with it's original unless someone sent me an e-mail containing the 1.10 Patch_D2.mpq file. But if I need to get the .mpq file from my LoD file, that won't be a problem, however, getting it from my original "install" disc won't work unless I had it.

Is there anyway I can get the 1.10 version of Patch_D2.mpq here at all?

JR.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:59 am

You did ask a similar question in the other thread, and I answered it there for d2launch.dll. Here is the general page (yes, a 1.10 patch_D2.mpq is available). Please keep posts about the same topic in the same thread, however.
~ Mark Twain

Fook123

Post by Fook123 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 am

ok so i have the middle earth mod folder unzipped in my diablo 2 folder i did all the -direct -txt thing but its only loading the normal game not the modded game. please help. and if this question has been asked a million times b4 im sorry.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:06 am

First off, are you running the right version of the game? ME v1.92 is for D2 v1.10, but the Battle.net version is v1.11b. If you need to downgrade to v1.10, or want to run multiple versions, please check here.

Second, have you made a mod shortcut or are you using the mod running scripts? The first way requires the mod directory to be in the "Start In" shortcut property. The second way requires the scripts be in the mod directory themselves.

Third, when you unzipped the mod package, did you install all files with paths retained, or are they all in the mod directory itself? You need to have a data subdirectory in the mod directory, with quite a few directories treeing from data.

If you still have no luck, you might try the mpq version. This file doesn't require (and should not be used with) the -txt switch.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mark Twain

Return to “V&K Mods”