how do i find my ip

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

No votes

Total votes: 0

capn_sarcastic

how do i find my ip

Post by capn_sarcastic » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:55 pm

how do i find out my ip address??

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Re: how do i find my ip

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:47 pm

Just go to Other Multiplayer -> TCP/IP Game -> Host Game and there it will tell you what your ip is on the top of the screen.

I think there is a windows command for it, I always keep forgetting it (type ipcfg in run I guess)
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:11 am

This is true for finding out what your machine thinks its IP is, but it may not necessarily be the IP the rest of the world sees. If you do as Jonaleth says, and your machine IP starts with 192, you are most likely behind a router. So you need to find a website that looks back toward your machine (such as Shields Up) to get the IP address everybody else will see you as.

If you are behind a router, you will need to enable port forwarding to get external connections to your game machine. If you have a firewall, you will need to open ports 4000 and 6112 as well (or in the case of ZoneAlarm, tell it Game.exe is a server).

There are other threads with more details, search the forums if you want more information.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:26 am

Myhrginoc";p="113017" wrote:So you need to find a website that looks back toward your machine (such as Shields Up) to get the IP address everybody else will see you as.
One I like is www.whatismyip.com . Simple and to the point :)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:51 am

Thanks for the tip, Alkalund! I'm bookmarking that site. Shields Up is the one I knew about, but for just finding my IP it is a bit like swatting flies with hand grenades.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is DHCP. If your ISP uses DHCP every time you connect, your IP will change from session to session. So a site like WhatIsMyIP is even more important for enabling TCP/IP games.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

aplihs

Post by aplihs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

You can find out your IP from http://www.ip-details.com/ by having an IP lookup.

Return to “V&K Mods”