Need help downloading Diablo 1 Middle Earth Mod

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

FishGaming
United States of America

Need help downloading Diablo 1 Middle Earth Mod

Post by FishGaming » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Hello once again everyone,

I was going through the D2SE mods for D2 and found the middle earth but when I looked for more information on this mod I found that it was a ported and changed mod that originated from D1. I am a huge fan of D1. I have played it much more in my past childhood than even D2. I have never done mods though so when I found that this used to be one of the biggest mods besides the Dark and currently the Hell 1 and 2 mods. I wanted to try it out since I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings. So I found the following sites:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021220104 ... lkien.html

https://diablo.kalais.net/d1me-download.html

The first one was the original from back in 2002 and the instructions for installing it were different. It did mention as well that it was meant only for online play. The second link is much more up to date. It has a download for the game but I cannot get it to work. So here goes my questions:

I have a diablo 1 directory made from GOG NOT FROM CD. I don't have original cd's. I have also search some forums and it seems that the newest release (2cd link above) is good for 1.09. I took all the hellfire components out of my Diablo 1 directory and extracted all the contents into the directory replacing all files that it asked to with those from the ME. I attempt to launch the game from the daiblo I.exe and I get an error that I need to insert CD. I then attempt to use the launcher GOG places in to successfully launch the original classic D1 version 1.09 but the mod isn't being applied. What am I doing wrong here? If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Lastly I have also seen that this mod again originally was for multiplayer only but I have seen a youtube video where someone was playing it single player. Do you still have to go online for this mod to work without bugs? Is there a work around for it currently? I do want to eventually get a friend or two on TCP/IP for it.

Thanks for all the help!

FishGaming
United States of America

Re: Need help downloading Diablo 1 Middle Earth Mod

Post by FishGaming » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:05 pm

Actually solve the first main issue. I know that double posts aren't welcomed but I am not editing my original but instead want to post a solution. I found that first of all that Middle Earth is only for original Diablo 1 version 1.07. So I downloaded an original 1996 (v 1.00) found here: https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard.

I used a program to run the ISO and then just extracted the ME mod as its own directory and the diablo 1.exe would open due to having the ISO open in a virtual drive.

I still need some assistance for this game version in particular. I still don't know if it can be completely played in single player since the original mod states it's for multiplayer. The second link I gave in my first post shows using a program to connect to a server online but it doesn't connect. I would like to play ME on TCP/IP. Is there a edited version for the original diablo 1 that would allow this version 1.07 to connect via tcp/ip so I can play it with my friend?

Thank you for bearing through all the details and for the help!

FishGaming
United States of America

Re: Need help downloading Diablo 1 Middle Earth Mod

Post by FishGaming » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:51 am

Solve this problem. Can just close the post. I found that using the IPX wrapper and Hamachi I was able to make it play online.

Return to “V&K Mods”