Vanguard: Master of Arms 2

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Re: Vanguard: Master of Arms 2

Post by Kraj » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:53 am

Good thing I've only ever played Sir_General's Rune Mod and Ancestral Recall or I might be accused of ripping off other people's ideas :)

nazo

Post by nazo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:18 pm

About Paladin skills, they were, let's face it, cheap and noobish. To be godly, you needed only holy fire and meditation. Holy Fire added a hellovalotta fire damage and low levels and meditation gave mana regen as well as hp regen depending on the level of prayer. Please say you'll change the godly paladin into a more humble creature.
Death claims all but the darkest souls...

nazo

Post by nazo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:21 pm

nazo";p="202588" wrote:Holy Fire added a hellovalotta fire damage and low levels and meditation gave mana regen as well as hp regen depending on the level of prayer.
I meant to say AT low levels...

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:54 pm

That's what the Edit button is for.

I doubt the accuracy of your assessment of the "godly" Holy Fire/Meditation combo since such a build is virtually non-existant on the relms. Additionally, this comment has nothing to do with the specifics of my mod and is neither helpful nor constructive. Please refrain from making such generalized comments in my MoA thread. Thanks.

nazo

Post by nazo » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:49 pm

I didn't see an edit button, though I'll keep it in mind for the future. As for the stupid post, it wasn't stupid. You didn't give the usual in depth description of your plans, but a vague description. I was asking if you were allowing skills such as meditation and holy fire into the mix, for both are too powerful. Meditation gives hp and mp regen, and holy fire, as well as holy shock and vengence, give huge amounts of damage. So before you criticize my posting, think for a moment.
Last edited by nazo on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:10 am

Okay, take five deep breaths and don't work yourselves up. I think nazo was intending his comment to be specific to this mod, but his mentioning realms probably made it seem a general comment. However, kraj's comment echoes my experiences on realms, I never saw a holy fire or holy shock paladin combined with meditation. Is that a relatively new variant? It has been quite a while since I was on realms, certainly not since 1.10 came out. In the old days, holy fire and holy shock were used by unique monsters (aura enchanted, these were two of the four or so options), but for monsters it was much more effective than for players.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

nazo

Post by nazo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:54 pm

I didn't exactly mean using them both at the same time. One or the other really. I know that you can't have an aura on the left, or at least not that I know of. I was meaning more so Vengance/Meditation or Vengance/Holy Fire/Shock. I probably should have specified that. Oh well. My bad. In either case, what are your plans, Kraj, to give some of the more powerful Paladin skills a drawback?

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:16 am

Once again, in regards to the specific skills of Meditation and Holy Fire/Shock I completely disagree with your assessment of their power level, so do not expect any changes I make to reflect that.

However, the ultimate goal of my skill tree design is to balance skills as much as possible. My attempt is to make every skill potentially usefull throughout the game.

nazo

Post by nazo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:45 am

close to 3 weeks without a single post? The modding isn't on hold, is it? My second guess is that you've just been soooo very busy with the mod and the holidays that you haven't had any time to post your progress...

DarkSlash

Post by DarkSlash » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:40 am

Hey I just thought I'd give you a head's up on something that can be abused in your mod. Now, this is something often forgotten by players and modders alike, but often in Act 1 a very good source of early cash is by selling damage potions(poison and flammable). Unfortunately, when you make a mod where a couple of gold pieces is valuable, you don't want to have players who know this selling potions at up to 500 a pop ;). So you might want to fix that. Cool mod, keep it up! Cheers,

DarkSlash

P.S. I'm desperately tryin to finsh some hw and whatnot so if the message seems funny it's cause my mind is in shambles.

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:15 pm

DarkSlash, thanks for the input. I'll be sure to pay special attention to those when final balancing is going on, although I'd expect to have all new potions since selling them in Act1 Normal is all they're good for.

Nazo, four words: skills are a b!tch. :) Slowly but surely it's coming along, but I'm still a beginner on skills.

nazo

Post by nazo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Kraj, four words: I feel your pain. Something simple like giving the sorc arctic blast can turn into an hour of headaches. Of course I was jumping right in without any previous knowledge. I guess it would have helped if there were any useful faqs on skills around here. I don't blame anyone for not writing one, though. Skills have got to be the worst part of modding. Just make sure to take a couple advil before diving into the skills.

L337onimusha

Post by L337onimusha » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:56 am

Hello. I found another thing that could be abused. If you buy a ring or an amulet from Charsi and enchant with any old enchantment stone it in the anvil, you can sell it back for 800-1200g. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:27 am

nazo";p="205173" wrote:I guess it would have helped if there were any useful faqs on skills around here. I don't blame anyone for not writing one, though.
Don't tell that to Joel. :D He is in the process of writing a comprehensive skill guide. The first section is posted in the skill clinic and I've learned a ton from it. Unfortunately subsequent entries are slow in coming :(
Last edited by Kraj on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:15 am

Don't tell that to Joel. icon_biggrin.gif He is in the process of writing a comprehensive skill guide. The first section is posted in the skill clinic and I've learned a ton from it. Unfortunately subsequent entries are slow in coming
Don't count on that guide, if he was really working on it. He would be done with it at this point. Instead I guess he has either abannoned it, or temporarly stopped working on it.

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:47 pm

Must you shatter my hopes?

nazo

Post by nazo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:41 pm

This thread must be taking another long pause...

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:44 pm

The work is slow and unsuccessful. I may need a new approach to skills.

nazo

Post by nazo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:56 pm

Skills can be tough. Describe what you're after and I MIGHT be able to help. If it's too complex then I can't. You'd probably be best off posting in the "help wanted section" and try to get someone who know's what they're doing to do the work for you.

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:46 pm

For those who might have missed it in Member Announcements, I'm officially calling it quits. No break or hiatus on the project - I'm moving on from D2. I'm sorry to everyone looking forward to this project, but my enthusiasm to implementing it was far outpaced by my design ideas.

If anyone is interested in taking over the project I will be more than happy to turn over my files, notes, ideas, designs, etc. I would also be happy to offer support in the way of design feedback as well as any knowledge I have. That way, anyone who feels they are too "noob" to try their hand at a mod will have something to build off as well as a personal assistant :) I just have zero desire to play this game anymore, in any form.

So if anyone wants to take me up on the offer, feel free to email me at gkrajenta@yahoo.com or I'll be checking in on the Keep from time to time. Peace all.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:45 pm

Thread locked.

If some day you feel like continuing the project, contact me or another administrator to unlock the topic.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Return to “The Sandbox”