Nexus

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Nexus

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 am

Long-time Keep contributor Xenast has a project in development.

Nexus

Mod Name: Nexus
Modder Name: Xenast
Mod Version: 1.10

Introduction
Back to modding, I have started a new project with new direction and more realistic expectations. My first attempt at a mod was a mess, and never got anywhere due to lack of a connecting theme and high expectations from myself.

So what does Nexus feature? I went away from the total conversion idea, because to be frank, it’s too much work, and feels like it too. Rather, Nexus will focus on what made me love Diablo II and play it for so long: The items. Expect more then the typical “1000 Uniques, 100 Runewords, etc”. I have many ideas, some may be new, some a twist on old ideas.
Of course there will also be the flash, maps, animations, ect. I want to add the former while keeping filesize decent, so in others word, maps and animations will done in moderation.
Another aspect I am working towards improving is the monsters. Making them less boring, and making them unique, interesting, and sometimes difficult.

So, now that the overview is done, just what does Nexus feature? Look no further; here is a taste of what is in the works:

Enchanting
All items can be enchanted with more stats via gems that drop randomly. However, to prevent any major balance issues, and to make players think about their enchantments, all items can only be upgraded to 100%. Each enchantment will add a percent, it varies based on the stat and sometimes item slot. Also, only basic stats are avilable for enchanting, such as resists and damage, static stats such as Indestructable and Cannot be Froozen are not available as enchantments.
See this screenshot for an idea of how it works. I am half way done implementing this, and will post a full table of available enchantments once implementation is complete.

Items, the typical stuff
All new set, unique, and runewords. Sets will work the same as Vanilla D2; however they will be easier to acquire (What’s the point in lower level sets if you can never complete them while they are useful?).
Unique items will be just that, unique. Each individual item will have a connecting theme, no random thrown together properties. See the Enchanting screenshot for an example.
Runewords will work as they did in Vanilla D2.
Rares will be improved, they will be useful once again.
Clue scrolls will be added, featuring information ranging from Runewords to Side Quests (more on side quests once I get furthur in development)

Augmented Items
All Unique items are Augmented when you find them, in order to remove the Augmentation you simply cube the unique on its own, the Augmentation will be removed and you will find a shiny new jewel in your cube as well as your original unique item
See this screenshot to get a visual.

Loot Tables
All set and unique items will drop easier (not rediculously easier), runes will drop more frequently (and higher level runes will be easier to acquire), gambling odds will be somewhat improved, enchanting gems will drop at the frequency of regular gems, boss drops will be significantly improved for the first kill, and significantly reduced for subsequent kills.

Monsters
Monsters will be spiced up, they will be more interesting and in some cases more difficult. I am still working on this, but here is an example of what is to come:

The Travincal council members now spawn a Fire Elemental when killed, the Fire Elemental has normal hp, depending on which Council member you kill a different immunity, and casts low duration Lower Resist.
The idea behind it: You need to strategize a bit, and quickly take out the elemental to avoid insta-death from Hydras. Not only that, but with their different immunities, you will need to switch up your skills to succeed.

Concepts
I am still designing it mentally, but a new crafting system will be added. This will include virtually all cube recipes, along with crafted items. I would like to do some skill work, but I don’t know a lick of skill editing, so it’s a huge maybe, and definitely won’t be included in the original release.

There are many more specific features planned, but they are in early development so I will leave them out for now. The above is subject to change. Also, I have no release date in mind, however you can expect once the above is conpleted to see a first release. I work a lot now (70 hours a week for 2 weeks, then off one week off, rinse and repeat) so I will be chipping away at this project slowly, but steadily.

So, anyone have any comments, Inquires, or anything of that nature? I would love to hear it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:25 am

Correction to the first post: For the blurb about unique items it says to see the enchanting screenshot as an example, when really the Augmentation screenshot is the one with a unique item in it - also note that all the new item graphics in Nexus will only be used for new misc items, uniques, and sets: original items wil retain their original graphics

Last Updated: August 24th, 2006

Edit: This post will now track the progress of Nexus features, for new ideas in development they will be posted seperatly. Also, the percents are an estimate, nothing is set in stone, its just to give you an idea of whats to go.
If your not impressed by the progress keep in mind I have limited time to do this mod, so it is one of those "it will done when its done" deals

Nexus Progress:

Items:
Uniques: 10%
Sets: 0%
Runewords: 0%
Cube Recipies: 0%*see below

Monsters:
Boss Changes: 5%
Normal Monster Changes: 0%
New Animations: 0%

Maps:
New Dungeons: 0%
Redone Maps: 5%

Special Features:
Augmentation feature: 100%
Enchanting System: 100%

In conception:
Crafting System
Possible minor skill work

Screenshots:

Act 1 Town -New Border

Cube recipies are going to be part of the crafting system, basically all cube recipies minus enchantments will tie into the new crafting system
Last edited by Xenast on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Nexus

Post by mishy23 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Very cool ideas,
some of them make me jealous I didn't thino f them,
the enchanting idea is a way better implementation than my item enhancing stuff i've done.
Kudos, keep up the hard work and I atleast will keep an eye out on what you do.
-Mishy
{Modding status: Project X}

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mishy :)

Anyway, this is the last update until late next week (I am starting my work cycle again):

I have continued working on the Enchanting system, which is now 2/3 implemented, and all categorized and designed on paper.
The plan is to finish this before I go back to work Sunday, as well as impliment them into the TCX. Drop frequency is unknown right now, I will need to test, but they will be fairly frequent to allow constant gear customization throughout the game.

Augmented items now have a new feature. This is an idea I had before, but until recently couldn't figure out how to do (and its actually very easy). As you know, the Augmentation is simply a jewel.
Well, new Unique jewels will be added in Nexus, which will only be findable via removing Augmentations. There will be a small chance when you remove the Augmentation you will get a Unique jewel.

Well, that is it for now. Next week I am back to work so I have very limited time to mod, I am going to spend next week working on Uniques and Runewords, since they are easy to pick-up and work on with limited time.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I personally am not afraid of maps that will be included in this mod. You have shown the quality, and this must be the best part of your mod :) Provide us much info Xenast, because it really is interesting.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:01 am

Alright, I have been hammering out the details, but here is another planned feature (and the next thing I will be working on):

Avatar Superuniques are just like regular Superuniques, with one defining difference. They are not the true form of who they represent, they are a weaker "spirit" of that monster.
Now, in order to fight the true Avatar Superuniques form, you must kill the Superunique in all difficulties.
Each difficulty will yeild a different fragment of that Avatar Superuniques soulstone, when all three fragments are combined via the cube you will receive that Superuniques completed soulstone. You combine the completed soulstone with a special item (dropped in early hell), to add a portal skill to the item (essentially a charm). This portal will lead you to a lair which has the Superuniques true form.

Some more information:

~Regular superuniques will not have this feature
~All Avatar uniques will have the fade state applied to them
~Avatar superuniques will have a red name, and will always have "Avatar" before their name
~Avatar Superuniques will be somewhat difficult to find
~The Avatar's true form will be difficult to kill, and will have abilities the Avatar does not
~Each Avatar Superunique drops a special item (note: no godly unbalancing drops, rather something interesting and useful for your troubles)

Well, hope you like the concept, as I said above, after I am done with some more items and monster work this will be done next. Hopefully some of the features such as Augmented items, Enchanting, and Avatar Superuniques are giving you an idea of what kinda of mod Nexus is.

A
Champion of the Light

Post by A » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm

it sounds cool to me

especially the avatar superunique part
it would be pretty cool to make portals to enemies....

and of cause your maps...as i have seen some u have done already
and they are nice
Last edited by A on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jest

Post by Jest » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:32 pm

I really like what your doing with the enchanting system. And the idea of Avatar Superuniques is interesting as well.

But about the Augmentation.... What is the point? You never showed what those jewels can do.

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:57 pm

Finale: Bad news, and good news

January 4, 2007 marks the end of Nexus as its own entity.
However, I can't give out much details now, but lets just say many of the concepts I introduced in this topic will not go to waste. You will just have to keep your eyes and ears open ;)
Last edited by Xenast on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:44 pm

[quote=Xenast";p="286115"]Finale: Bad news, and good news

January 4, 2007 marks the end of Nexus as its own entity.
[/quote]
sad to here :(
[quote=Xenast";p="286115"]
However, I can't give out much details now, but lets just say many of the concepts I introduced in this topic will not go to waste. You will just have to keep your eyes and ears open ;)[/quote]
glad to see that itll not go to waste, but does this mean that we'll have to wait very long for this "undisclosed project"?
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:20 am

Nothing is being said at all right now, until something more substantial is prodcued, but Xenast and me and are working together on something top secret.
{Modding status: Project X}

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:46 am

but does this mean that we'll have to wait very long for this "undisclosed project"?
We have no release set in stone, however I can assure you that thinking in terms of months is a safe bet.
Anyway, thats all you'll hear of this from of us until we feel ready to come out with details, so keep an eye on the news! :cool:

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:36 am

Then this thread is closed. If you ever feel like continuing on the project, contact me or one of the other administrators and it will be re-opened.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Return to “The Sandbox”