Lod 1.11b Single Player Balance Mod

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:02 am

Once in a while a lurking member comes out of the bushes and announces a project in work. We are pleased to feature the more detailed projects here in Non Hosted Mods. Welcome and good luck to Gebnar and his mod!

Mod maker: Gebnar
Game version: v1.11b

In Gebnars words:

1: "Lod 1.11b Single Player Balance Mod" is my current working title. This is open to change. I just haven't had the time or motivation to think up a more creative title. It'll happen eventually....

2: I am the project coordinator and the only modmaker currently on the project, but who knows? - I just posted in the forums after my lengthy lurk time. Hopefully others will be interested in joining the project.

3: Diablo II v1.11b, geared toward single player, untwinked

4.1 Thought: I have played Diablo II for years, and I have never had the right conditions to play it online. Hence I have been prevented from ever experiencing much of the game. I have been working on various versions of this project for probably 3 years now. In the last two years the Phrozen Keep has aided me immensely. I believe the project has now progressed far enough that some outside thought, suggestions, comments, and criticisms might help me bring the mod to a releasable state.

My goal is to stay close enough to vanilla LOD that a character played in vanilla will not suffer ANY technical problems.
A secondary objective I have currently attempted to keep in place is that any character played in this mod should be able to load in vanilla without crashing or significantly changing the character. I may give up on this as the mod grows more in-depth.

Even though this is a single-player mod. I wish for the mod to offer an enjoyable and balanced multiplayer play as well. balance is the key here! Everything everything everything must be balanced..... (Boy do i have a job ahead of me ;) )

4.2 Storyline: Currently I do not plan to significantly alter the storyline or npc speeches.

4.3 Character Modifications: In keeping with my secondary objective I have decided for the present to keep the charstats.txt file relatively unchanged. So far I have only increased the walk-run speeds back to their earlier/faster values.

Thirdly: all formerly hell-viable builds should still be hell-viable.

Some underpowered skills have been revamped, but I have chosen to keep their basic operation the same. I believe Blizzard put thought and effort into the idea process for the character skills, and I want my mod to benefit from their work as much as possible. However, there certainly are problems in the current system. My hope is to balance the skills enough that near-infinite possibilities for viable characters are possible.

I am currently experimenting with the possibility of adding two new character related items to the game. One is a book that will grant 1 permanent skill points. The other is a potion that will grant 5 permanent stat points. If these get added in to the final version they may open up even more character build possibilities, and help to negate poor point placement. They may even allow a previously broken character to "get back in the game." Don't worry about the balance issues, I am THOROUGHLY testing the drop rate for these. Currently I have added them into the "good" items treasureclasses with extremely low drop rates. A character played from act1 normal through act5 hell without any excess farming, on players1, to find circa 15 of these items. That would give a character approximately 7-8 extra skill points and 35-40 extra stat points.
Characters who play longer will, of course, find more... Regardless, this is a major change to the game, and I am not at all certain that I will keep it.

4.4 Item Modifications: Having played Diablo II since it was released, and Diablo I before that, I feel that I have a solid career behind me from which to work. I have never dropped a Zod. If I were to be paid $1/hour for the time I've spent in this game, I'd be filthy rich. Obviously, Zod runes don't have a realistic drop rate for a single player....

Drop rates of all items are being significantly revamped, to allow a single untwinked character a decent chance to find some of the more useful uniques and sets.

Many new runewords have been added, and more are in progress. Some of the currently overpowered runewords may be changed for balance purposes as the mod progresses.

Many new crafting recipies have been added, with lots on the way. In the past Blizzard had numerous crafting recipies. Some of the new ones reflect those recipies, but with major changes.

In addition to the crafting recipies, new cube recipies have been added. Others will be changed. For instance:
1 perfect skull + 1 Stone of Jordan + 1 Rare item -> 1 new (high level) rare item
This is useless to a lone character in the big world of D2... I've only ever found a few SOJ's in my time. And I NEVER wanted to use them to get a rare...

Currently I have not added any new item classes other than my stat boosters (discussed above)

I have also not added any new uniques or sets (yet). But this is likely to change.

Keys, while not being removed from or crashing imported characters, are effectively removed from the mod. The character cannot buy them or find them. Chests do not spawn with the locked property. TreasureClassesEx.txt has been modified to rebalance item drops so that more scrolls/utility potions do not spawn due to this change.

Books of town portal and Identify can now hold 100 scrolls each, to reduce repetitiveness.

4.5 Monsters: Act bosses now drop equivalent to their quest drop every time you kill them. I consider the effort to find and kill the boss deserves the same reward whether you are doing it for the first or the tenth time. But this change is not set-in-stone. Just something I'm experimenting with.

Resistances of most mosters have been reduced. This is to enable more builds to successfully complete hell difficulty. I have tried to remove all immunies from hell difficulty, however monsters that were formerly immune to an element still have very high resistance to it. Example: frozen creepers are no longer completely immune to cold damage, but they are 89-97% resistant on hell mode. Only a sorc with decent cold mastery will be able to efficiently kill them with cold damage. Wraiths are no longer physical immune, but they may have up to 99% physical resistance. Unique monsters, however, may likely still be immune. Also, I have left in place some certain immunities blizzard made for rpg purposes.

Still to do: I have yet to balance the monsters' stats with the revamped character skills. But since this is a BALANCE mod, I do not wish to overpower characters. The game needs to be difficult, but not impossible, and overall more enjoyable for the lone adventurer. Also, if the character is to be moveable back into vanilla lod then monster stats need to be similar to what they were.

4.6 Code Edits: Currently I have tried to stay away from code edits. #1, 1.11b doesn't have much info on ce compared to other versions of the game. #2, I've never done code editing and do not currently feel comfortable with it.

4.7 Plugins: No plugins are required to play this mod. Since currently the only things to be modified are .txt files, the mod SHOULD work with any plugin, no guarantees though.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Gebnar

Re: Lod 1.11b Single Player Balance Mod

Post by Gebnar » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Update: Thursday, April 12, 2007

More skill changes/new runewords/new cube & crafting recipies.

Lots of balance work is still needed, but I have so far been able to implement everything i have tried.

The stat/skill increasing items seem to need some balance too. I have played my testbarb to level 60 and have so far, only found 2. So i may need to increase their drop rate somewhat.

Work continues....

Also, I just bought a car for $15,000 so I will now have to get a job to make payments on the car and the insurance. But I am sure I will still find time for modding. ;)

Update: Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I have decided that the Mod will not be backward compatible with vanilla. The main reason for this change, is that I chose to increase the savebits for both lightning-min and poison damage. This has given me much more flexibility with the use of poison damage on weapons. In all my play experience I have never found poison damage on weapons to be of any use in hell. Skills worked... sort of, but weapons never were any good with poison. Now, I can create weapons with very high damage per second, and over longer durations.

Characters may still import from vanilla but only if they first sell/drop all items with poison and lightning damage. However, it seems that importing can still have random adverse effects on items or stats in some cases.

I have begun the process of creating uniques for every base equipment type in the game. I feel that some classes were left without fair equip options due to class restrictions (assassin/sorceress). The assassin has only claw mastery, and there were formerly only four unique claws. I believe this situation to be unacceptable. The sorceress has only three unique orbs, and while she does have more weapon options, I still feel this limits character variety somewhat, and takes away from the role-playing fun of the character.

I have also decided that I will be changing many of the overpowered 1.10/1.11 runewords, in addition to adding many of my own.

Some small balancing may be needed with my new crafting recipies, but I have found them to be fairly balanced.

I wish to change the balance of the game in certain issues I find annoying. One thing I want to change is the way charms are handled. The current trend is to carry one each of the unique charms (excluding Gheed's) and fill the character's inventory with either mf% charms or skillers. My problem with this is that It's just not rpg-ish. I know that whatever system is in place will be abused by people desiring uber-power-characters, but in this case I think the system is flawed. I have had several ideas on what to do about this, but have not come to a conclusion yet. I thought about adding in the possibilities for rare charms. But that will be abused the same way the current charms are. I thought about removing all charms from the game except the unique charms. But I use charms enough, without abusing them, to exclude that as a viable option.
The idea that I am currently wrestling with, is to allow only unique charms, but create a large variety of unique charms. The player may carry only one of each charm. Since not every charm will be useful to every player, this system would be even more beneficial in party play. I will have to significantly reduce the drop rate of all charms however.

Now comes the part where I ask for help. I need two things.
Input on the charm system
Help creating uniques Specifically, I need names, and stylized stats to go along with them.

That's it for today.

- Gebnar
Last edited by Gebnar on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is an illusion we all seek to achieve.

Reality dictates that we are all slaves to something.

If you're reading this then my best guess is that you're a slave to Diablo II..............(Aren't we all?)

fras
Paladin

Post by fras » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 am

It looks good so far. Just keep up the work and you might just have your own sub forum in June (realistically). But be very delicate with the uniques make one balanced once instead of 10 lame ones ( I did this a lot), quality is better then quantity unless your talking about a tome of town portal :lol: . Names might be hard but some times you can be straight on and blunt like for a ice weapon Frost Blade or some thing or even Blazing (insert weapon here). If you really want to use features that blizzard made that people don't really do is press the (W) key (Weapon Switch). Every one knows that people go for uniques on end builds. So add uniques that have bonuses so like a fire weapon gives you lots of fire res but low ice res so when your going to wards Diablo add some monsters that do cold damage so people would have to switch to there water weapon which gives ice res but has low Thunder and poison. so people have to really pay attention to what there doing and having a finger over the (W) key. I hope i helped

~Fras
Working on a mod its a LAWL Production

Gebnar

Post by Gebnar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Update: Monday, April 23, 2007

Thank you fras. It is nice to see some interested in my mod, and I appreciate your input.

[quote=fras";p="319716"]be very delicate with the uniques make one balanced once instead of 10 lame ones[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. Imagine what this game would be like if Blizzard had followed this advice... I am working very hard to balance everything out, as well as create items that fit with character and/or name themes. I also don't want a bunch of clone items with similar mods. So I have been working hard to create a wide variety of stylized items.
I have also been changing the stats of many uniques in the game. I think we can all agree that there are some unique items we have never used, and probably never will. I am trying to make every unique have decent stats, comparable to what a "unique" item should, without taking them beyond the competition of sets or rares.
The hardest part of all this, is that I have only my experience with d2, and my own personal testing to discover just how balanced my items really are. And I have been doing quite a bit of testing.

[quote=fras";p="319716"]Every one knows that people go for uniques on end builds.[/quote]
That's true of vanilla d2. Although lately it seems high-lvl runewords have become very popular as well. I want the character to have more balanced options. I am thinking about giving up on any compatibility with vanilla so that I can completely redo the magic prefix/suffix tables. Currently all I've done is change the probability of the mods so that low level mods don't spawn very often for high level items.
My ideal goal would be for a character to have many equivalent options for equipment. Rares, uniques, runewords, and sets should all be able to compete.

If you're reading this then my best guess is that you're a slave to Diablo II..............(Aren't we all?)

fras
Paladin

Post by fras » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:06 pm

Also make sure low level uniques drop earleir in the game like really get an axe for a level 4 when you are level 20 sometimes make me say wtf this is crap. And i like your ideas.
Working on a mod its a LAWL Production

Gebnar

Post by Gebnar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Update: Wednesday, April 25, 2007

One other thing I'm doing to balance the game, is removing most of the oskills currently on items. I don't like the fact that engima gives teleport to any class. Half of the reason that I pick a sorceress sometimes is to be able to teleport. Making it oskill or charged takes away the uniqueness of the character. Same with paladin auras, and necromancer curses. I feel that the place where these kind of things belong are on uniques, and that only in a very small quantity. No more dual-dream mele sorceress with 100k damage and 35k aura damage. That's just lame. I know that some people will disagree, but I think that holy shock was designed for the paladin, and belongs on the paladin. Teleport was designed for the sorceress, and belongs on the sorceress. If you want amplify damage, play a necromancer. A barb with 50% ctc amp on hit is just unbalanced. heck 5% is unbalanced. Another thing I have found, is that there usually are several different ways to achieve similar effects from items. Auras are easy, but imbalanced imho. I have been trying to implement some other, less used ideas instead.

ok enough rambling for today...

As always, everyone's ideas and criticisms are appreciated!

Update: Monday, May 7, 2007

Still more of the same.

I knew this was going to be a big project. I wonder if I'll ever finish. I am currently planning to create new uniques for every unused item. I've done most of the claws, some axes, some swords, and a couple of helms. I'm still reworking the runewords.

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's all
Last edited by Gebnar on Mon May 07, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashiraniir

Post by Ashiraniir » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 am

Edit: I hope the mod is still in works, the last update was May :(

I really like this mod idea, and I don't know why there wasn't more balance in the original game. I would always get frustrated knowing that 1 misspent skill point could throw my whole build in the trash. I really hope your mod will assist in this.

I have also played both Diablo 1 and 2, and agree with many of your balance options so far.

I was actually just wondering if it's possible to have a set, made up of charms, and if it would actually activate set bonuses..if it were possible, it could open up new potential for the mod. Maybe, a set for each class, and some of the charms are low level, medium, and high, so you would have to pick it up in pieces throughout the game. Then think about the mini-set bonuses, which could be level-geared bonuses for what level you think that they would get the first 2 charms at, then the third, and so on. The whole set bonus could be what you think is balanced and would appeal to a high enough level character able to get the last charm.

If that is not possible, other sets would be nifty too, for both rp and balance...they would just have to be harder to find.

These are just some names I thought of (though some may be from other games without me knowing it), if you would like to use any of them for anything. I'm not a modder :( so I can't use them.
"Stargazer's Raiment" Sorc
"Conqueror's Gear" Barb
"Flame's/Ice/Snow/Inferno's Binding" Druid
"Shadow's Apprentice" Assassin
"Hippolyta's Garb" Amazon
"Avatar of Glory" Paladin
"Summoner's Arsenal/Toxic Raiment(green armor)" Necromancer

Phoenix Fire - fire damage, bonus to fire skills, etc.
Silver Orb(sorc orb) - Plus to teleport, plus to (random light skill), plus to light res, minus cold res, etc.

Frosty/Frozen/Icewalker Boots - blue, bonus to cold res, minus fire res, plus to energy, etc.
Frozen Platemail - Minus run/walk speed, plus cold res, minus light res
Frozen Bow - Minus attack speed, plus cold damage, etc.

These are all just ideas, and they don't need to be used, however, if you added a lot of minuses to resistances on armor and whatnot, plus to resistance charms would become both rp'ish and essential at the same time. With "Frozen" armors with minus run/walk speed, you would need another charm for speed, or a jewel. There are many other possibilities, but it's your mod, and I'm starting to ramble on and on. :doh:

Good luck with your mod, I sincerely hope you finish and would like to see the end product :thumb:

~ashi
Last edited by Ashiraniir on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Sandbox”