Annoying Monsters

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Annoying Monsters

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Currently I am makeing a variety of monsters, but would like some input on what you believe are the harder monsters for individual classes, or character types.

You can also include skills which monsters do not have, or any other ideas that aren't implemented in vanilla.

For example;

Melee Classes - Iron Maiden, Fire Enchanted
Casters - Succubus /w curse, Im. to cold/non slowable, fast
Minion based - ???
Melee Ranged - Fast things

Thanks for any help :)
Last edited by GuyAskingQuestion on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Annoying Monsters

Post by misharohac » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:17 pm

Those little leaping buggers are a pain for melee, because of the inherent knockback when you hit them.

oldtimer
Paladin

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:31 pm

Black souls are a pain for just about every char.
And the little dolls that blow up when killed are a major pain for melee.

cheractor
Paladin

Post by cheractor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:01 pm

For those have minions, AE nuke them.
For those rangers, I was always dreaming to stealth and ambush them... Maybe a invisible monster with a visible attack animation? If you have a low monster density this can be useful.
Please feel free to correct my mistakes, especially on English writing. Any comments would be appreciated.

snowknight
Champion of the Light

Post by snowknight » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:54 pm

[quote=GuyAskingQuestion";p="265308"]Minion based - ???[/quote]
Piercing skills, especially when mixed with the blood golem effect, are dangerous since they can attack both minions and the player. Rabies-styled skills are similarly dangerous. There's also an aurafilter (42370) that allows only minions/hirelings to get hit with skills.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:57 am

Poison and cold damage are annoying...
Also knock back and stun...

Maybe a stunning ranged attack would be a pain...

Anson
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Anson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:11 am

Make an ugly with a stunning ranged cold attack, which moves fast, pierces your minions and explodes on death. Really annoying! ;)

To be a little more serious, for casters we have the beautyful mana curse of the Succubi, I also hate it, if I'm a caster and am frozen. This makes me slow and helpless.

I also think, that leaders with the teleport ability were very annoying back in classic days.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Fast attacking melee guys that teleport. Then even when you try to run or teleport from them, BAM! They're back. That'd actually be pretty fun. =)

Or archers that teleport when you approach and try to attack them.

I agree with cheractor. A minion that follows you (is invisible), has only one attack that is melee required. That attack is a skill that changes the monster to a visible monster that you can target and kill now.

That'd be so sweet. Think you're safe and all... all of a sudden you're surrounded by guys with swords/spears. Hahaha. Awesome.

CD
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:15 am

[quote=ChaoticDeath";p="265519"]Or archers that teleport when you approach and try to attack them.[/quote]
Even better than teleporting archers would be archers who can walk backwards and shoot at you as they back away. This would also be a good skill for the Amazon. "Back Step" or something.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:59 pm

Try giving "Holy Fire" to Fallens. It might encourage to kill them, but on the other hand they might become even more annoying.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 pm

Lots of nice suggestions to get me somewhere on some evil monsters :P

Just thought of how evil chain lightning would be to a Necro... :twisted:

I love the teleporting melee monsters, but they would be rather difficult to do!
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:46 am

What about blade sentinel spell?
It could be annoying too..

We could have more cursing monsters... One per area..

Maybe a charge/frenzy monster with holy freeze lvl 1....

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:52 am

[quote=sPoT";p="265631"]Try giving "Holy Fire" to Fallens.[/quote]
That is probably the best idea for Holy Fire, monster or character, that I've ever seen.

Holy Fire on a Paladin or Merc is dwarfed by other auras, and Holy Fire on Bosses seems a little underpowered. But imagine one of those Fallen Camps, with 12-18 Fallen, each one with a Holy Fire aura... early in the game, that would probably do some serious pulse damage.

Speaking of pulsing, they could either pulse in sync, resulting in good sized chunks of damage, or out of sink, resulting in a kind of lifedrain effect.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Oooh, make it Vampiric Aura (available to Necromancers) that drains life from you and gives it to them! Good idea, no?

Gospodarik
Paladin

Post by Gospodarik » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:19 am

Let me list some monsters that I personally always thought they are annoying.

- Maggots since you have to kill lots and lots of small maggots and they don't even give experience so all you do is basically wasting mana and durability

- Grotesque since they are very hard to kill AND always spawn small grotesque which are ALSO hard to kill AND do not give experience (that means, even more annoying than maggots)

- Urdars since you can be stun-locked beyond any chance to attack them back

- Oblivion Knights since their missiles really annoy the hell out of you

- (only if they are overpowered like in 1.10+) Black Souls and such

- Foul Crows because they always fly away if you try to melee-kill them

- Rogue Archers because they always run away if you want to melee-kill them

- Everything that does lightning-enchanted type damage or holy shock damage (the latter is so powerful that it's almost always a single hit kill)

- Demon Imps because they just plain annoy you with their blood stars

- Crush Beasts since they make demon imps even more annoying

- Nihlathak since you cannot defeat him except by using something that always removes those corpses

- of course, Minions of Destruction (same as for Urdars)

- Unravelers and all kinds of shamans since the revived ones do not give experience and thus they are wasted mana/time/durability, also, those bone warriors in act2 are useless imho!

- Suicide Minions since you MUST use ranged attacks and if you cannot do any, it's bad

- Fetishes of all kinds since there are so many of them and they're so fast

- Enemies that do loads and loads of poison damage ('Purging' aka Embalmed Ones, 'Recieved Dead Ones' aka Preserved Dead and such)

and maybe more I forgot about... oh well, the Hell Fire Rogues in Nez mod because resists do NOT work to counter their fire
Modding is funny, but as soon as a crash bug is caused the fun ends!
Card carrying member of Mentaldom, since June 2007 - Zy-El Hardcore

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:01 pm

[quote=Gospodarik";p="277178"]- Oblivion Knights since their missiles really annoy the hell out of you
- Nihlathak since you cannot defeat him except by using something that always removes those corpses[/quote]
You seem to be confusing "Annoying Monsters" with "Monsters that can kill you". Don't forget, when monsters have attacks and AI that can kill you, that is not annoying, that is GOOD, forcing you to strategize to take them down.

Yes, if you rush in to try to take down Nihlathak melee, you will die, but not because of his "annoying" Corpse Explosion but because of your own stupidity. To kill Nihlathak, you must lure away the monster who have already spawned, kill them out of Nihlathak's range and THEN go in for the kill. This is not annoying, this is strategy.

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:08 pm

[quote=misharohac";p="277200"]
[quote=Gospodarik";p="277178"]- Oblivion Knights since their missiles really annoy the hell out of you
- Nihlathak since you cannot defeat him except by using something that always removes those corpses[/quote]
You seem to be confusing "Annoying Monsters" with "Monsters that can kill you". Don't forget, when monsters have attacks and AI that can kill you, that is not annoying, that is GOOD, forcing you to strategize to take them down.

Yes, if you rush in to try to take down Nihlathak melee, you will die, but not because of his "annoying" Corpse Explosion but because of your own stupidity. To kill Nihlathak, you must lure away the monster who have already spawned, kill them out of Nihlathak's range and THEN go in for the kill. This is not annoying, this is strategy.
[/quote]

If you play barb is much easyer: you can spawn some grim wards to scatter everything right after they die and use find item on the rest that die, and pound ol' nilathack's head whenever you have the chance.

Another silimar thing can be achieved with grim wards in maggot lair final chamber, when 4 strategicly placed grim wards (and thak good there are plenty of corpses there :mrgreen: ) will make everything get stuck between the walls and the wards, trying desperately to run, while you have an open alley to the big guy and the chest... spledid picture indeed :mrgreen:

Like misharohac said, it is all about strategy, these mosters are not annoying, just that you need something more than a sword to bring them down.
Death is not an option!

Gospodarik
Paladin

Post by Gospodarik » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 am

Yes, maggots aren't that hard to kill, I admit, but Nihlathak can simply be very annoying if you ain't got no skill that removes corpses. Of course, I already finished off Nihlathak in hell playing a barb, but it was no fun at all. However, the really annoying monsters are things like Grotesque for the aforementioned reasons. Killing thousands of small Grotesque and not even getting experience is really bad.
Modding is funny, but as soon as a crash bug is caused the fun ends!
Card carrying member of Mentaldom, since June 2007 - Zy-El Hardcore

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:28 am

Good point there, there is no incentive to kill them, whether experience, gold, gems, whatever.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:39 pm

[quote=Gospodarik";p="277743"]Yes, maggots aren't that hard to kill, I admit, but Nihlathak can simply be very annoying if you ain't got no skill that removes corpses. Of course, I already finished off Nihlathak in hell playing a barb, but it was no fun at all. However, the really annoying monsters are things like Grotesque for the aforementioned reasons. Killing thousands of small Grotesque and not even getting experience is really bad.[/quote]

Thats there so you plan what to kill first, this is perfectly fine. Kill the mothers first, don't go for the spawn.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:42 am

[quote=Nefarius";p="277765"]
Thats there so you plan what to kill first, this is perfectly fine. Kill the mothers first, don't go for the spawn.[/quote]
The exception being for when you are completely surrounded by the spawn and can't reach the mothers. :P

BTW, to make them even more annoying, make the spawn explode on death. :spank:
Last edited by Rattlecage on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Evilpanda
Paladin

Post by Evilpanda » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:13 pm

what i find annoying is any monster which refuses to go after your minions and always follows you, especially when your char is bad in melee. best example, act 5 ancients.

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:26 pm

So do you believe that the Ancients, the noblest, wisest and most experienced of all warriors in Diablo 2, should pound on Gulzar while you safely cast meteors?

Or should they actually realize where the real threat is and deal with it, forcing one to strategize?

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 pm

So do you believe that the Ancients, the noblest, wisest and most experienced of all warriors in Diablo 2, should pound on Gulzar while you safely cast meteors?

Or should they actually realize where the real threat is and deal with it, forcing one to strategize?
Perhaps. But if they're so smart how come they chase me around through a blaze until they die? :mrgreen:

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:20 pm

Because they thought Blaze doesn't do any damage, because they've never seen it used before. :)
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”