Spell Books

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Spell Books

Post by kidpaddle94 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 am

Again, a new concept topic. First, all characters can only wear one ring in the mod. The other unused ring slot will serve for this new concept.
I would name the new left ring slot to magic slot, or book slot/holder. chose what you want.
This magic slot will mostly benefits on two classes due to the adding of a new spell book concept. Others will just get a lucky charm.

Spell Books:

There are two types of spell books. One for the Necromancer and the other type for the Sorceress.
The book have to be equipped in the magic slot. The book, will be used first of all to improve your skills, but also to inscribe new spells in end-game.
Yes, in the last difficulty level, some bosses will drop a scroll with some of their powerful demonic spells inscribed. The scroll can be transmuted with your book to permanently inscribe the monster's spells in your book, to learn and use it. I also plan to make two or three scrolls sold by vendors, at high costs of course ;)

The learned spells from scrolls won't be the same for both classes. If you inscribe your book with a necromancer, the skill will be different than if you inscribed it in a sorceress spell book. Also note that only them can inscribe in their class books. (example, you can't inscribe a book while you are a barbarian or a druid. If you are a necromancer, you can't inscribe in a sorceress book.) All classes have their secret techniques that they will not teach to other classes.

Note that spell levels of your book can't go over level 20. (max +20 per skills)
This means you can farm the scroll 20 times if you want, but more would be useless since the skill would be at it's max learning level at 20. They will still get bonus from +skill levels modifiers from skills/items, don't worry.

I don't know yet if learned skills will benefit from the +[class] skill levels modifier, but it is a possibility. For example, the sorceress spells learned from your book would increase of level if you have an item with +x to sorceress skill levels. We will see later. :)

Image Image

Kiahdaj
Champion of the Light

Re: Spell Books

Post by Kiahdaj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 am

I can't imagine why it would benefit from + to sorceress skill levels.
Since, while the sorceress is using it, it is not a sorceress skill.

It's an interesting concept, and I've considered things of the sort for my own mod. But I've decided to keep mine a little less "out there" if you know what I mean. While it will have many creative features, it won't be too game changing :P

But wouldn't this be unfair to the other character classes?
For the casters to have theses books, but the others don't? Unless they have some equally advantageous features...

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:47 pm

That's simply because I have no ideas for others right now ;) The concept is in very early building (in other words, listing ideas).

But don't worry, all classes have their advantage, to balance.

As for why it would benefit from the +[class] skill levels modifiers, it's to make it like if it was a skill of your class once you learned and master the skill. It's kinda like if it now was a class skill. So I'm hesitating in doing it or not, but mostly because it requires multiple dummy skills lines to be sure all classes have the same number of skills. (in files only, because of this thing that all classes need to have the same number of skills in files).

Yet, this is not much trouble to make some few dummy lines, so I might make it increase in level from +[class] skill levels from items.

Edit: any ideas for other classes are welcome ;) I'm still with no ideas right now :(

Lady Isabelle
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Lady Isabelle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Barbarian: Shaman Flag
Assassin: Shadow Essense
Druid: Tree Bark
Amazon: Sunstone
Paladin: Cross

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes, finding the items to do is not really hard. I'm needing ideas for the concept to.
Example: the spell books can be inscribed to learn new spells, etc...

Lady Isabelle
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Lady Isabelle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Shaman Flag: Gain new barbarian summons

Cross: Different forms of dealing damage, may it be ele dmg or procs

Sunstone: Gain defensive type stats

Tree Bark: Life, life regen etc.

Shadow Essense: Slows enemies, reduced enemy def, RIP, avoid, etc.

Does this help?

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 pm

update: The druid also have a book now.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”