Affix Ranges

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

No votes

Total votes: 0

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Affix Ranges

Post by Demon9ne » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 pm

As I was touching up item affixes today, I was considering a solution to the disconnect between what we perceive to be a good magical item, versus what is actually a good magical item.

Consider that if I have an affix that adds +1 to +10 fire damage, a player will find the item with +8 and have no basis for which to determine whether the item's property is decent or not. Players could check a mod's documentation for this answer, if it exists, but this is unrealistic; no player is going to alt-tab and read about magical affixes after each time they find a handful of items. So the player is going to toss it or sell it, and try to find a rare, set, or unique item. These are obviously better than a magic item. But consider that all these items are just another degree of the same problem. They all have magical properties too, that range from terrible to excellent.

So is there an answer to this problem? Probably not an easy one. I ended up opening photoshop and fooling around for half an hour, mocking up an item from my mod which I took a screenshot of. I created an item description that simplifies the 'Is this trash or not?' problem that occurs every time we pick up items.
AffixRanges.jpg
AffixRanges.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Unfortunately, this is not the greatest solution. It would take lots of code editing to make this image a reality.

In any case, this is just something I've been considering lately, and thought I would share.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Re: Affix Ranges

Post by kidpaddle94 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 pm

well, if you know what you're doing and have the basic required locations, that wouldn't be that hard to code. I just think it would be flooding, but that is a cool concept idea.
Btw, why not a bar for sockets? (max sockets)

Out of curiosity, what is the first long blue bar? overall?

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 am

It would be handy and cool to show this information, if you have any luck coding it make sure to tell us.

A more softcoded solution would be reducing/removing the range (i.e. several tiers: 3-4 and 7-10 instead of 1-10).
Heck, you could even change the affix name to intuitive stuff like "mildly burning" and "infernal flame". edit* - and repeat the name layout for every tier.
Last edited by Desocupado on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:13 am

Top bar would be total quality. Small bars are each affix quality. Green bars are 100%, indicating "perfect affixes".

I left the sockets text alone as an aesthetic choice. (No important reason, really.)
Last edited by Demon9ne on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:14 am

Desocupado" wrote:It would be handy and cool to show this information, if you have any luck coding it make sure to tell us.
well, no idea if Demon9ne really plans to do it, but I would like to try it, if he doesn't mind (credits given of course)

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 am

Absolutely go ahead--I wish all mods could implement this.

But prepare yourself for a problem having some text centered and some text left-aligned to make room for the bars.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 am

Demon9ne" wrote:Absolutely go ahead--I wish all mods could implement this.

But prepare yourself for a problem having some text centered and some text left-aligned to make room for the bars.
I was planning on replacing most of the items description stuff anyways. ^^

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”