3D graphic artist getting around

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

Nephretes
Paladin

Re: 3D graphic artist getting around

Post by Nephretes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:16 am

Some additional animations:

Town walk / Walk / Run /Neutral/ Town Neutral/Kick/Casting Spell/Getting dmg \m//Death
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

8 Frames each of them, as I have read that it is possible to adjust the speed of animation in game.

Btw.
Little photomanipulation of how it could look at the beginning. Cap, buckler and wand equipped. I will have to improve animation a little, but it looks ok I think

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:10 am

Nephretes" wrote:I will have to improve animation a little, but it looks ok I think
I'll have to disagree, it looks amazing... Seriously!
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Mind=blown!! Keep improving it, you have some real talent :)

I really loved the death anination
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:44 am

Some great progress. HTH weapon class is finished.

Unfortunately I am not able to recreate 100% weapons in diablo as I have to make scene and textures myself, but I am hoping to get close enough for you guys to get the idea what weapon is equipped.

Here we have 16 directions of town neutral pose for hand axe and buckler

And here we have other items in unit palette. I hope that you recognize them.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:13 am

Here's the order of directions, just in case ;)

MarcoNecroX
Paladin

Post by MarcoNecroX » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Really impressive work here!

My personal recommendation would be not to bother making a new class. It's good to have such ambitious project but I feel some downsides that can appear, regardless of the quality of the end result. First, there hasn't been a 8th class added to the game, ever. Without the game's source, it would be very tricky to do so, mainly because the code is written in a way where only seven classes are supported. Who knows the infinite amounts of bugs and frustration you would need to go through before you can fully implement that. Second, if you decide to replace an existing class you have two problems. The first one is that you need to pick a class to remove. The second problem is that no matter how good the new character sprite is, it will probably not fit with the other 6 classes and would look weird.

I would suggest making monster sprites instead, as they are easy to implement. You can make them multi-part too, why not? I believe there are no monster tokens which are multi-part, all the ones I saw were only torso based.

Another thing worth doing, that I believe is lacking heavily are auras and overlays. Most modders need these and there is no resource center for them. Personally I would love to see a poisoned overlay, since the standard one (character becoming plain green) is terrible.

Finally, tilesets are another great thing to create! There is a lot of room for innovation here because there is a lot that can be done. If you have some ideas for this, I would say definetly go for it!

Anyways looking forward to your releases. If you decide to make them public and not just for a specific mod, I would love to use this stuff for median!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 pm

My personal recommendation would be not to bother making a new class. It's good to have such ambitious project but I feel some downsides that can appear, regardless of the quality of the end result. First, there hasn't been a 8th class added to the game, ever. Without the game's source, it would be very tricky to do so, mainly because the code is written in a way where only seven classes are supported. Who knows the infinite amounts of bugs and frustration you would need to go through before you can fully implement that. Second, if you decide to replace an existing class you have two problems. The first one is that you need to pick a class to remove. The second problem is that no matter how good the new character sprite is, it will probably not fit with the other 6 classes and would look weird.
The hardest part is make the actual animation. I was actually working on implement extra classes in past, but I stopped work on the code as I lacked good animation and I'm pretty sure a few of us coders around would be able to implement anything in the game. We have already implemented alot more then the d2 engine support.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 am

@jetaman

Thanks, I have already gone through this tutorial dude.

@MarcoNecroX

Thanks for your concern. I am now fully aware how much it takes to make completely new character and I still intend to do so. I must be a masochist :)

Of course I won't bother at a first place if I had not contacted advanced modders here first and did make sure that it is a possible from programming aspect.

Now I am during designing phase and brain storming discussion with one of the best modders here. If we agree on such both-sided effort I am sure I will tell you guys more.

Basically if adding new character class was not ambitious enough I would love to make larger mod. In my opinion modding of Diablo 2 went into wrong direction. While I still admire Median-like content rework it changes too much for my taste as I have written in a first post- I have more classical attempt for modding. We will see what future brings.

I may work on some of proposed by You, for now you are welcomed to use some of free graphic assets I have posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62637
==

Another great progress. Weapon class 1HS is finished.

Some gifs with progress:
Walk/ Town neutral/ Attack 1 and Attack 2 combined. Buckler and hand axe/mace
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Nephretes on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

lolet

Post by lolet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:59 am

Wow this is so awesome. Hoping I could see someone make use of that

bleedingapathy
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Paladin

Post by bleedingapathy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:07 pm

this is amazing. and to think d2 is old this will add a new breath of life to the game/mod best wishes on your endevors

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 pm

It would be so great if you design new weapon animations

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:09 am

What do you mean by designing new weapon animations?

I am planning to add new weapon type: Darts, as you could see for Witch Doctor in Diablo 3. Thi will require new animations of course, but it will be limited just for shamans.

I am not planning to recreate original character animations to add new ones.

elaf

Post by elaf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:10 pm

haha man nice to see you here, i'm waiting your oasis town

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Nephretes" wrote:What do you mean by designing new weapon animations?

I am planning to add new weapon type: Darts, as you could see for Witch Doctor in Diablo 3. Thi will require new animations of course, but it will be limited just for shamans.

I am not planning to recreate original character animations to add new ones.
I mean new 3d weapons (or armors) that our character can wear

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:20 pm

@elaf

Ha, hi there. Oasis town for heroes 3 will be ready propably in a second half of 2016. For now I am more interested in Diablo 2, as unlike in Heroes 3 community, here we have skilled people with programming skill ready to push the projects. For VCMI project I can't do more than it is programmed, being limited is frustrating.

I will make sure you will want to wait for our Diablo 2 mod with kingpin as well :)

@Xibalba

That's exactly what I have said. To add new armors or weapons for original character I would have to recreate 1:1 animation of them. Too much work. For now we are working on adding new character to the game.

Inertias

Post by Inertias » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:19 pm

The work here is incredible! It's really cool to see an actual 3d artist working on 100% original content instead of resorting to ripping animations from other games. I'd love to be able to do that too in the future.

Personally, as exciting as it is to see a completely new character being made, I think new weapons/armour graphics for existing characters would be the coolest to see more of. That, and maybe new skill graphics and auras like Marco suggested. Either way, keep up the great work! I'll be looking out for more updates on your progress!

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 am

@Inertias

Thanks. In my opinion anyone can learn 3D if have right motivation. I have been learning it for about 1,5 year now, and it is enough to make some cool stuff :) If anyone would like to learn something I will gladly help as soon as software is Blender.

I completely understand the statement that seeing something new for original character would be cool, but it would be even more "masochistic" thing to work on. I would have to reproduce blizzard models and animation, and I am not sure if I would even get close enough to even think about it.

I may however work on skill graphics and auras. As long as I can make something new, without making an exact copy I may be interested.

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 am

Hi there. Just to let you know that I am alive. Currently I have a little pause for working on Shaman so instead I am focusing on recreating some of the items to make unique looks if they don't have any, or to come up with new unique/set items. It is very hard to beat blizzard so it is not my attempt to reproduce them 100%, but just to make a base for future items.

Most of them are just models, or are pre-textured. I am publishing it to seek some ideas from you guys. If you have ideas for unique items of them just drop it here so I may introduce them in future mod.

PS I am hoping that I did them close enough so they are recognizable though... :)

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:51 am

@Nephretes

Even though my mod is pretty much vanilla and I plan to keep it that way, I admire your work a lot, and the other graphic artists here too.

I really think that no single coder here can keep up with your ability to crank out cool stuff.

There's only a handful of active coders on the keep who are skilled enough to add a new character class to the game. Kidpaddle94, Kingpin, Lolet, & Necrolis. Hope you'll share your amazing talent with the other talented coders too.

:)
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Nephretes
Paladin

Post by Nephretes » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 am

@devurandom
Thanks for your kind words.

Actually my attempt for modding is rather expansion-wise than hard modding, so instead of heavily changing the game I prefer to improve it with adding reasonable content. I must have stated it somewhere, that Median-like (although cool) mod is not my way of doing it. I prefer staying close to vanilla game.

Now we have added around 10+ new looks for unique items which are using basic sprite (this is unnacceptable :P). I have already teamed up with kingpin, so no worries that it is going to be wasted :) I will write more details after we are done with designing phase.

juliocpaes
Brazil

Post by juliocpaes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Nephretes

this graphic is ready ?? link for download ..?

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 am

No its not ready. He just presented work in progress screens. He posted some items somewhere though. They look amazing too.

Cheers
AlphA

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 am

Yep, and none of this was ever released of course :D I called it
kidpaddle94 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:24 am
I would hope to see these released to the public. Been seeing too many projects with similar potential ending up to be never released, and all of the potential it had going to the void.

juliocpaes
Brazil

Post by juliocpaes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 am

nice work ... really enjoyed, I hope a link to a download, in soon ? :D

juliocpaes
Brazil

Post by juliocpaes » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:55 pm

come on ! post this unit mod !!!!

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”