Feedback Needed -- Ideas for Defense Mechanics

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

What do you think of the design?

Poll ended at Fri May 13, 2016 2:42 am

Too simple, add more variety
No votes
Too complicated, take it down a notch
No votes
It doesn't make any sense
No votes
It sound awesome
No votes
It sounds terrible
No votes

Total votes: 0

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Feedback Needed -- Ideas for Defense Mechanics

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue May 03, 2016 2:42 am

---Defense---

Howdy Everyone!

I'm working on designing some new-ish combat mechanics, or more specifically trying to refine some previous ideas I've used in other projects.

I could really use some solid feedback and additional thoughts on the design so please let me know what you think. I will be including a poll to get a general idea of your thoughts on the topic. I do want to warn that this will be a pretty long read, but please bare with me as I really do need some solid feedback before I proceed with the design.

Read below for more details!

The combat mechanics in question are the Character's damage and defense stats and how they relate to one another. The main goal of this system is to simplify and clarify the combat and what your character is capable of. In other words I'm trying to minimize the L in LCS.
Here's the specifics:
Evasion:
This is the most basic form of damage reduction and as such comes in high quantities but with some drawbacks. Evasion will allow the player to avoid incoming attacks and is the least reliable of the three defense mechanics. Firstly, the player's level compared to an attacker's will be a factor in the total avoidance chance which can reduce or enhance its effectiveness. Secondly enemy spells will bypass this mechanic, making it extra important to watch out for monster specials.
In summary;
Evasion...
...avoids attacks, but will not reduce the damage taken from any hits taken.
...will be much less effective against higher level enemies.
...doesn't work against enemy magic.
...is the easiest to accumulate of the three types.

Evasion is basically the same as defense is vanilla and functions using the same mechanic, albeit with some tweaks. Noteworthy is that defense while running will be enabled as this is just a silly "feature".

Armor:
Armor is the most effective way to reduce damage taken as it will reduce the damage of not only physical attacks but magic attacks as well. Armor provides a percentage reduction in all damage taken regardless of monster or player level and thus effectively magnifies your health total. Each point of armor will reduce the effectiveness of Evasion.
In summary;
Armor...
...is effective against all types of incoming damage.
...enhances your health pool, making each hit point more powerful.
...is standard on armor equipment.
...but suffers from diminishing returns.
...reduces the effectiveness of Evasion.

Armor will be a new rendition of damageresist based on a formula for the accumulated "armor" stat which allows a hyperbolic growth rather than linear growth, this also prevents the need for hard caps on the stat as it will never reach undesirable amounts of damage reduction. Noteworthy is that armor will lump together the damageresist stat with each elemental resistance to increase damage resistance across the board.

Protection:
This is the most potent defensive stat in combination with Armor. Protection will reduce all damage from a single attack by a static value, essentially subtracting its value from the damage taken. The primary advantage of Protection is that it is factored after the reduction from armor. Its only drawback is that against heavy hitters, the relative amount reduced by Protection will be much less dramatic.
In summary;
Protection...
...reduces damage by a flat amount.
...is greatly enhanced by a high Armor total.
...is less effective versus high damage attacks.
...reduces the effectiveness of Armor.

Using the same mechanics as "normaldamagereduction" and "magicdamagereduction" combined this will be available in much lower quantities than the other two defensive stats. Also of note is that it will come with a rebalance of the "damagerate" fields in missile.txt to improve the consistency with rapid damage, or ticking damage.

For anyone interested I've included the equations I will be using for the accrument of these stats if you are inclined to work out the math.

Also important that as much data will be included in the character sheet as is necessary for players to get a solid understanding of what their stats are and how they accrue, making it clear how much change any given stat increase or decrease will affect.

Equations:
Evasion, aka Defense (built into code)
Total chance to be hit = 100 * Ar / (Ar + Dr) * 2 * alvl / (alvl + dlvl)
Effective Evasion Rating = 100 / (100+Armor) * Evasion

Armor
Total damage taken = 100 / (100+Armor)
Effective Armor Rating = 25 / (25+Protection) * Armor

Protection
Total protection value = Pr / (1-DR%)

As previously noted, any and all feedback will be helpful and I will be uploading another thread with the offensive stats summary, although they are still very incomplete.

Thank you,
-k0r3l1k

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: Feedback Needed -- Ideas for Defense Mechanics

Post by Desocupado » Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 pm

Evasion as vanilla Armor Class - the AR formula is a bit messy but since you are removing dexterity it'll be probably easier to control. It might be best to keep the numbers fixed/low.
Truth be told a % based defense is probably better than the whole AR/DR routine.

Armor = health % (well dmg -%) but reduces Evasion
Protection = flat dmg reduction but reduces Armor(? i thought it was the synergy)

----------

I would recommend to have Defenses impacting on gameplay like active skills with windows of not protecting like a cooldown based invulnerability / bone armor with CD/heavy mana cost
Also consider Regeneration as another defense stat (bad against burst damage good against %health based damage) //already present as health potion

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Re: Feedback Needed -- Ideas for Defense Mechanics

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue May 03, 2016 6:01 pm

The reason evasion exists is to be very accessable, but unreliable and just plain not as good as armor. Armor will be the go-to defense stat with protection acting like an optional stat that works better against certain types of damage. (Like fettishes).

The way the math is set up garentees that you never lose EHP when increasing a given stat, but increasing armor mean more reliable reduction, etc. The protection formula is there to make sure people can't get effectively a million flat damage reduction.

Again thank you for your input.

Edit:
By the way, all mobs will have static AR unrepentant of level effectively removing it from the equasion.

Edit2
Potions are being removed/redesigned and up per second will be an available stat.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”