Quick game design question

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

How should item power translate to affix value?

Fewer affixes of the same value
No votes
Same quantity of affixes with reduced value
No votes

Total votes: 0

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Quick game design question

Post by k0r3l1k » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Hey everybody, I'm working on some ... stuff. I've got a quick question and would like to know some opinions.

Items have different total value based on availability and theme. For example, in general you can only have one weapon equipped and weapons represent your offensive outlet so they have a very high power compared to say, charms which you can have Manu of and which represent only token addition to your characters stats.

So for each items, which seems better, lower power items haveing fewer properties of the same value, or the same number of properties with lower values?

Please leave a poll vote and/or comment.

Thanks!

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: Quick game design question

Post by Desocupado » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:09 pm

I couldn't fully comprehend your question.
If you want to make trash loot useless, just lower the values compared to good loot.
i.e. a good drop completely overshadow them - the trash is fully a trash.

If you make them good at some affixes (but having less) some people might not need the "good loot" - A sorceress doesn't need a +300% dmg mod on the wand.

Personally I prefer to not have trash at all.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:54 am

Ok let me rephrase the question. So I'm talking about items with the same quality level, the only difference is how the properties are distributed on the items, I'll put a couple examples to clarify.

Small charm, qlvl 89

+54% lightning resist
+133 health
+21 dexterity
Damage reduced by 17

Small charm, qlvl 89

+13% lightning resist
+34 health
+7 dexterity
Damage reduced by 4
+6 strength
+33 mana
19 HP regen per 10 seconds
+11% faster run/walk speed
+6 - 11 additional damage

so which design is better? Charm 1 or charm 2?

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 am

There are a few ways to limit the amount of charms you can equip.

That being said, it's better to have few mods, because it increase variety - i.e. the player may want a charm with +lightning skill or the charm with attack speed.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 am

Ok, thanks for your input, by the way, this question applies to all items, not just charms.

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:35 am

Fewer affixes of the same value , that way a player can have a bright idea toward a stat or resists , whatever he needs most , the other option is too general for any kind of hero , and its good overall but such items rarely become useful in endgame if the affixes are not high.Thats my perspective as a player.
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Doub » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Regarding Charms

Big Charm > Medium Charm > Small Charm.
This is by understanding simply because of the inventory space they take. So a lvl 10 big Charm should always have better stats compare to a medium Charm.

Btw just an advise/opinion. Dont make your mod in a way so that charms end up filling all your inventory space. I honestly believe thats one of the WORST and most annoying aspects of D2.

And to reply on your question in some way.

Try to implement the unknown element in your mod (as i call it :D ). For example there are mods where items drop and they have all very similar stats and that makes the item-isation boring because it lacks the element of *I wonder what stats this ring will have*. So what i am trying to say is: keep the number of stats/properties on all items as less as possible because this will give more chances to get items with different properties/stats.
If every rare item has like 10-15 stats on it then they simply become boring because most rares will have those same stats. On the other hand if a rare has only 3-5 stats and stats are randomized then you can get rares with totally different stats hence making the itemisation awesome/interesting/not boring. Every item that will be dropped, you will be wondering what stats it has and thats the beauty of it. The unknown element :)

So to conclude. Dont give the same number of properties to a Medium Charm and a Small Charm. Instead give less properties to the Small Charm compare to the Medium Charm. Cause again, what this means is that you might drop a small charm with fewer properties but the properties you were looking for! And this means that a Small charm can compete with a medium charm or even with a Big charm as long as it has the properties you were looking for.

Hope i helped!

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Again thanks for the feedback.I largely agree with your post and thank you for the additional input.

I do already have planned which properties go on which items with what probability. I believe the design I have in place will satisfy your concerns. The main issue I need addressed is solely concerning proprty values.

So far it seems the unanimous opinion is that fewer stats with more relevant values is the most appropriate design, which honestly was my own conclusion to start with, I just needed some outside opinions to validate the design before proceeding.

You have all been very helpful and I do welcome additional input on the subject

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”