The mod's end is coming very soon (sonner than expected)

Information and updates for the Cryptforge mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Zhoulomcrist

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

The mod's end is coming very soon (sonner than expected)

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:56 pm

In recent months, believe it or not, several good things have come into play. I just got a new job recently working for a local store in the receiving department (possibly, anyway, they offered it to me and I accepted and now a drug test awaits which I've every bit of confidence I'll pass). This is something I've needed badly recently and finally it's all coming together.

But, the bad news is that it's come to my realization that modding D2X has lost my interest.

Thereby, I will release one more patch (maybe another after that, but definitely one more) which will fix a number of bug issues that are present. More importantly, it will enable access to all 5 ACTs without the crash issue present that happens when you try to go to ACT II.

My attention has turned strongly to Morrowind and to the new Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that is being worked on.

However, the good news is that I intend to stay here at the keep and continue moderating as I should have been doing all along.

I have come to the decision that attempting to maintain a mod for so long was turning into a burn-out scenario after having done it for so long now and was taking time away from what I needed to be doing which was looking for a job and moderating the forums.

So, I have decided to give up on doing my own modding. But, I won't be leaving the keep. I must apologise for those that were hoping for it to really come into fruition.

But, after some serious thought, I have decided that I like playing other people's mods better as it is an adventure to see what others have conjured up and turned the game into. Additionally, I like browsing around the forums and working them.

As a result, I'm gonna lock down all prior threads in this forum with the exception of this announcement and the Bug Reports thread.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:05 am

Zhoul, old forum friend, I had the feeling D2 wasn't your thing anymore for a while now. I am sure glad you have a new job and are moving on with new projects in life.

It is a relief to read you will still be with us though, it would be sad to miss one of the oldest guys around... even though the newest forum members may not realize, the Keep owes much to you, that is for sure ;)

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: The mod's end is coming very soon (sonner than expected)

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:27 am

Thanx a great deal :) .

I can't bring myself to leave after being here for so long and being with all of you great folks. I'll be more than glad to stay with the keep and although I won't be modding anymore, I intend to keep up with as much of what's going on as time permits me.

I love it here alot. It's very hard for me to imagine not being here anymore after being here this long. It will have been over four years after January, 2005 passes by since I made my first post at the ForumCo forums.

While Morrowind has my attention very strongly now as far as gaming goes, I've still got D2X on my hard drive in case I happen to decide to check out some of the mods that are in development and those that are currently released.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:32 am

It's always sad when a mod dies, let alone when it's a mod like CryptForge :( The Senior Staff Mods forums will never be the same without it...

I've enjoyed the Act 1 demo a lot and I was hoping to play the final version.

Well, at least I'm glad to see that you'll stay on the forums. I hope that I'll return to modding soon to give you a new version of Back to Hellfire to sink your teeth in ;)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:14 am

If I'm still around during that time (and hopefully, I will be), I'll be gladly giving the Back To Hellfire mod a field test :) .

The latest release was excellent and I enjoyed it a whole lot. If you ever decide to return to modding and release a new version, it'l very likely be the first mod on my menu to put to the taste test :) .

CryptForge will be my last mod unless some unforseen revelation hits me in the future. I plan to concentrate my efforts to working the forums, playing Morrowind and its many mods, and checking out the new Diablo II mods and utilities that are being worked on and released.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:40 am

Zhoul man, I remember the day the beta for CryptForge came out. How everyone was at these forums that night waiting for it and WAM! It was out. I remember downloading it and everything. It'll be sad to see it go, but it'd be even sadder to see you go. Luckily, that's not the case. But you'll still be beta testing mods? That's good, at least you aren't letting D2 die on ya. ;)

Good luck at work man, hope everything works out.

CD :)
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:59 am

Thanx, I just took the Drug Test yesterday. If all goes well, I'll be working the midnight shift up at our local Wal-Mart Supercenter.

The CryptForge site will remain available until after the final patch is released (or PlanetDiablo decides to ditch it :) ).

After the patch is released, I will no longer be supporting the mod in the area of bug and balance fixes. But, I will be more than glad to answer questions if players get stuck somewhere. At that time, the mod will be officially open-source as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who wishes to take the work farther is more than welcome after the last patch is released.

TheNullVoid

Post by TheNullVoid » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:15 am

sad to see the end of sucha great mod, been looking forward to the final version for such a long time.
Happy to hear you're sticking around, so maybe if someone does decide to take it any further you can make it one of those mods that you'll be trying. now wouldnt that be something.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:11 pm

[quote=Zhoulomcrist";p="196542"]
If you ever decide to return to modding and release a new version, it'l very likely be the first mod on my menu to put to the taste test :) .
[/quote]

Sadly, it's not about decision. I'm having computer troubles at the moment and that's why I stopped working on Back to Hellfire temporary. It's still in development, not abandonned ;) I have a lot more to show to the public :)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:14 am

Well, best of luck getting those computer difficulties fixed in any case.

It is a great mod and so is the expansion (Hellfire) that it was based on. :) I love both of them.

UltimateWeapon

Post by UltimateWeapon » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:12 am

:cry:

this is depressing...

i'd been checking the forums regularly hoping for something new... but this certainly wasnt the news i was looking for!!!

It's great that you're getting along with your life, but it'll be sad to see a great mod like this lose its creator... then again, oblivion is probably going to own even more than this... (sad but true)

If you start modding with that, i might be forced to be the first person to start playing it, even if that means staying up until 4AM on a school night waiting in fileplanet retardedness lines :x

Hopefully you'll get the major bugs worked out of the mod and get it released soon.

and thus ends my very sporadic and generally pointless posts.
i swear, IE hates this site.. it takes 15 min to load even with my cable modem...
>:V

EvilLurksWithin

Post by EvilLurksWithin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Well, as sorry as I am to see this mod go, I guess I can understand. I managed to break off my love affair with Morrowind after a few months of solid gaming (and dropping gpa) last year, but I still feel it's siren call. I shudder to think of what Oblivion will do to me, especially if you're modding for it.

Good luck with everything, Zhoul. I'm looking forward to playing through the other acts of Cryptforge, once you get this final release out.
Press Smash forehead on keyboard to continue...

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:04 pm

I have two nights off coming up. During that time, I'm gonna try to enable them other ACTs and get the patch released. Be aware that there's probably gonna be bugs.

Additionally, as I had stated above, the mod goes open source and I will no longer be supporting with future releases after this one.

However, I will try to answer questions if you have trouble getting somewhere or using something in the mod.

So, at that time, anyone who wants to edit the mod and make future patch releases, go for it. However, I do ask that you do the following in that event......

1. Keep the credits in the readme file intact and, if you add additional credits, do not delete existing credits.

2. Don't charge money for it. Blizzard frowns on that one. I know gas prices are high. But, we don't have to get that desperate for a dollar bill :) .

3. Enjoy the mod. Even though it stops there, there's still so much to experience in it as it is now.

taosk8r
Paladin

Post by taosk8r » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:43 am

Well I just wanted to add my 2 cents since I have been waiting for this mod to be done since waaay back when the 1.09 version was announced, following the forums with a keen eye, and watching for the latest news. Upshot of all of that is that like many I am really gonna be sad to see this project die, and I really hope someone (or some team) picks up on the implied offer made by the Open Sourcing of it.

Now, to the bulk of my message. Zhoul, I really hope, in light of the fact that this may be the last release, you will take all the needed time to make it as bug free as possible. This mod really deserves to go out in style, if indeed that is to be its destiny. :cry: The idea of playing a mod with all new character classes is a compelling one, and sadly one more ambitious than it seems most modders are willing to undertake. It is also one of the most compelling ideas for a mod, and one that I hope to see replicated by other modders increasingly in the future. The old skills, builds, and character types just kinda tend to get a bit stale after so many years, and so many Meph runs, ya know? That said, my heart crys out for more from this mod.. That is more skills. Hopefully it will get taken up by others, and hopefully they will expand on the great concept engendered therein, and thereby become stronger than it otherwise would have. :mrgreen:

LordTemjin
Paladin

Post by LordTemjin » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:48 pm

Ah, I remember when Cryptforge was but a design, which some would be watching for years. Infact, I was one of those people. I can remember coming home from work and anxiously looking at your forum to see if there had been an update. I was a lurker then, and I decided to register and create my first thread in this forum. Yep, don't think I would have ever registered if it weren't for cryptforge.

At the time it was the most brilliant plan I've ever heard for a mod, and you were doing something that everyone's wanted to do for ages; let them be the bad guys! I started posting here more and more trying to give support for the mod as much as I could :P

And then it happened. Cryptforge was playable. But alas! It was not meant to be! Zhoul and his 56k connection created a massive problem in distributing the mod. He simply could not upload the massive mod as it was. I started getting impatient but realized I should wait. This went on for a very long time indeed until he finally got it uploaded...

...at first the game was quite buggy and you could only use a few skills. Sometimes it would crash at odd times. But I still said to myself to wait to be patient. It would be an awesome game for a bnetd though. And lo and behold...

A few people came with the plan of a realm for cryptforge. I cried on the inside. I played it many times, sometimes sleepless nights. It was quite addictive by then as many of the problems plaguing the mod were gone.

I played it until most of the realms went away for various reasons. At that point I started playing new games, but continued to post suggestions/ideas to many of the modders and tried to support many causes.

This is my story Zhoul and it wouldn't have been made if you didn't make cryptforge. I will not be able to come here much more often so I will say this: Thank you, Zhoul, and continue to create everything to the best of your abilities. I wish you good luck on any prospect you come across.
Last edited by LordTemjin on Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<juice> Invalid Syntax Error?
<juice> usually the syntax errors I get are Valid.

horntail

Post by horntail » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi there i'm new so you don't know me. Zhoul I just love your work and I think the fact that your going to stop moding makes this a sad day but that aside I think that it's great that your not going to let cryptforge die as a mod such as this should not go undone as it deserves to be finished and I CAN'T WAIT for the finished version. So i beg of great Zhoulomcrist not to judge me to harshly if I pester you with posts every week just to make sure.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:50 am

Although Zhoulomcrist drops by now and then to look over the boards, he hasn't posted anything since Halloween. I wouldn't expect a speedy response, so please don't repeat requests if they don't get answered.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, the mod will never truely be finished by me. I was gonna release one final patch for it which would get rid of the bug which causes the game to crash when entering ACT II. But, I've not done so yet.

The main thing that's been keeping me busy is work. I work 10 PM to 7 AM on the grocery stock crew at the local Wal-Mart Supercenter and so that has really changed up my scheduling for doing other things.

Not the best job in the world but it pays what I need right now. However, as I said, it has slowed other things down quite a bit such as being able to get this ACT II bug fixed up.

It's likely that it will be awhile until I can get to it. So, if anyone else wishes to download the mod and attempt to fix it (and add whatever you see fit to it), feel free to do so. The mod is open source as of now.

I'll still be around here at the keep. But, not near as much as I once was.

FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPER » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:48 am

I myself have been keeping an eye on this mod. Well when done someone pm me thx. Looks like a great mod Zhoul can't wait for the final to play it.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:46 pm

.....and now the mod is being resurrected. See the following thread for details.

viewtopic.php?t=30895

Return to “CryptForge”