Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide - Main Discussion Topic

Information and teasers from the upcoming mod, Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide. NOTICE: This project has been scrapped in lieu of the Shadow Empires mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide - Main Discussion Topic

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:37 am

Well just a point to clarify some pesky buggers that seesm to appreciate to pollute my mail box :

1) NO i have not stole any keep monsters plugin .... you see the name on this forum ?
strangely it's the same that the one that appear on all plugin credits .... damn coincidence !

2) NO my screenshots are not fake ! All skills/levels and yadada i show are actual screens :x tyr to document yourself !!

3) If you don't liek my work, shut up and go away. I'm not here to support power gamer testosteron lack !

4) NO i have not stolen <insert random mod name> ideas/skills whatever. CWAT is in dev for 2 years now (hapy birthday by the way) and well, all the stuff i explained once have surely filtered trough other people ideas.

5) NO Brother Laz isn't copying me an dI don't copy Brother Laz !!! Special mention to the moron that sen dme this : go to hell !

Well, sorry for being rude, I can't stand to get my ass whimped like that and anonimyzed email are NOT the good way to be constructive ! Be sure that if i can get my hand on your TRUE address, your FAI @abuse will learn to know me !

END OF RANT ...

More good news, act 1->3 are complete and under testing for level error.
once i finished char skill (glups) ppl will enjoy these three first act as early debuging.
I can't promise date, i'm actually struke by Real World Job (c) (r) TM ....
As usual, my skill system idea was proven to be non playable and frustrating, so i have to go back to the drawing baord :-/. but to avoid copying Char or Kingpin or Laz, i have to wrench my mind very very strongly to get something new, nice and original !

Three subcabal also prove to be a not-so-good-idea ... usually, all my cabal end up with one good sub cabal, one average and one sucky ... so i may consider to rework this part too .... maybe emulating a Dark Age of camelot system ... Each class having a pool of skills, either specific or generic .... then the ppl can build their own subcabal by mixing skills ... but well, soem Code Editing is needed and that doesn't make me happy :-/ (trying to stay mac comaptible).

So any skil system idea are welcome (just start a topic on this if you see somethign nice), so does skills idea (still lacking 25 combat skills :-/)

well, i'm alive don't be afraid but I feel that if I cna set up something neta now, i'll have more, mor etime to compelte that !

thanks for people supporting me !
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:10 am

I'm happy that i never get mails like that. Since i use a lot of d1 graphics they could easy accused me to "steal" the pluggins from keep. But its quite funny when the author of the pluggins got accused.

Xcolibri
Champion of the Light

Post by Xcolibri » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:47 pm

For the subcabals: Why don't you revive one of the older concepts?
Have two subcabals and one shared tree?

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:05 pm

Xcolibri";p="131034" wrote:For the subcabals: Why don't you revive one of the older concepts?
Have two subcabals and one shared tree?
you want to hear a secret ;)
I'm on it :D

Xcolibri
Champion of the Light

Post by Xcolibri » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:25 pm

Great! I'm sure that will work fine ;)

For the lacking skills: Do you mean by combat just melee/non-missile skills or fighting skills in general? Including passives? If I manage to (time-issue), I will storm my brain again :D

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:53 pm

just melee/non-missile skills AND fighting skills in general but no passives

Xcolibri
Champion of the Light

Post by Xcolibri » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:04 am

Some ideas:

Duel Codex / Enemy Focus:
Knocks all monster around you back except the one you are fighting.

Crowd Runner:
If there are more enemies near you, you get increased attack speed, run speed, higher ar and higher damage

Heavy 'n Hefty:
Attack that has chance of crushing blow, critical strike and open wounds, and decrease armor class of the monsters.

Stamina Slash:
Converts a percentage of all your current stamina to magic damage. OR: Higher damage bonus if stamina high but reduce stamina each slash.

Sign of Glory:
Each hit increase resistance, attack rating and light radius.

Brain Basher:
Two hits. The first has damage bonus, the second chance to stun.

Blackjack:
Has chance to kill enemy immediately when it is below 33% hitpoints.

Eye for Eye:
Damage bonus on next hit is equal to the damage just received in the last hit.

By the way, did you already read my skill ideas from Aug 25th in the 'New skills revealed'-thread? Just in case you didn't see them since you haven't commented on them.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:21 am

So let's go :)
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Duel Codex / Enemy Focus:
Nice tactical skill. I'll try to get it working (melee range invisible missile releasing nova of invisible, stunning misisle is my best guess)
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Crowd Runner:
If there are more enemies near you, you get increased attack speed, run speed, higher ar and higher damage
I can actually do that in fact ... giving all monsters an invisible conviction bas aura increasing a stats called misc_monster_near. I alreayd do that for my Detect Evil spell.
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Heavy 'n Hefty:
Attack that has chance of crushing blow, critical strike and open wounds, and decrease armor class of the monsters.
!!!! only that !!!! :) a bit powerful no ?
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Stamina Slash:
Converts a percentage of all your current stamina to magic damage. OR: Higher damage bonus if stamina high but reduce stamina each slash.
Nice idea .. but for some reason I'll let this out. Someone already planning using this concept.
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Sign of Glory:
Nice Templar melee skill !
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Brain Basher:
Two hits. The first has damage bonus, the second chance to stun.
o_O ..... well, a damage bonus stunning attack will be equivalent most of the time
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Blackjack:
Has chance to kill enemy immediately when it is below 33% hitpoints.
A bit hard to do and redundant with Phantasmal killer.
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Eye for Eye:
Damage bonus on next hit is equal to the damage just received in the last hit.
ouch, hard to make too even if the concet is nice.
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: By the way, did you already read my skill ideas from Aug 25th in the 'New skills revealed'-thread? Just in case you didn't see them since you haven't commented on them.
Seems that I miss them :oops:
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Essence of Pain:
[Missile] Deals fire-lightning-cold-damage. Resistance of the monster to each element is [lightRes + fireRes + coldRes] / 3
I cna use Shout function and get a fixed elemental dmg AND reduce elemntal resistance later on.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Sinister Shower:
[Area] Like the Blizzard skill, just black with unholy bolts coming down, poison & magic damage
Nice, ust have to find a way to have Blizzard work like i want \../
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Purple Lightning:
[Missile] Can you colour the D2 Lightning? Let it deal damage that increase every second while consuming also more mana each second
I can :) but well, nothing more than a ltnf inferno.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Force Leak:
[Nova] A bit like the D1 Flash. Diablos Inferno in every direction, covering the 360°
Ditto.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Saving Circle:
[Nova?] Release a small no-damage nova. On explosion it sets trap spikes around the character
Quite a nice indirect damage skill. Have to be tought over.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Stealing Magpie:
[Missile] Quick chain-Lightning with bird-missile. Many hits (10+), low damage with chance of short stun, giving a little gold per hit.
o_O ....
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Recurring Sorrow:
[Missile] Homing, average speed missile (unholy bolt, maybe), dealing fire damage with chance of additional 1/2 weapon damage. Other monsters, pierced on the way get slightly poisoned.
Can be done, and sound nice.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Carrion Glutton:
[Summon] Summons creature (vulture/ D1 crawler eating dead bodies/ act 4 Body Spitter), which deal low physical damage but let dead bodies near them explode, dealing 5% of hit points damage and giving fixed, low amount of life back to character
Already Done.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Status Channel:
[Melee]Attack that adds damage equal to a random attribute (like if you have 20 in dex 30 in energy, it could add 20 or 30 damage), scaled how you like to fit the low-number-system
A bit hard to do but well, I'll try.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Natural Carapace:
[Warcry] Give 90% physical damage reduction. Each hit received reduce this reduction by 10% (so after 9 hits the reduction is gone).
Casting delay of 1 minute
Nice concept ... just have to find a way to do that correctly.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Lord of the Swamp:
[Area] Can you alter the druid's skill that opens the earth to look green? Giving poison damage. Plus release a given amounts of the poison vines with magical damage. Plus a swarm of ravens. ^^
Casting delay, too.
hmmm, mium mium .... multi purpose, minishow skill :D
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Swirling Crystal:
[Missile?] Enchant a monster with a missile that circles it, giving damage to any adjacent monsters but not damaging itself.
Maybe using a variation of the Druid poison atatck.
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Haunting Light:
[Area?] Like D2 Blaze, with lightning instead. Also gives a small bonus to faster R/W as a passive bonus.
(Is it possible to have Blaze with the ground opening skill from the druid?)
Never tried to modify Blaze yet ... I remmeber having trouble with it in 1.09

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:25 pm

well, if the Templar should be a good defensive character I'll try to add some ideas for you :)

Rigtheousness ---> part of the damage the Templar takes will refill his Soul (aka the mana) while is active

(same name as one of the magic cards I'll use but the idea I have is totally different so don't worry and use it if you like it)

Song of the Metal ---> an attack that will reduce the Ac of the target and can cause a minor bleed on the monster (better if it had a nice sound when hit)

Claim to the Brotherhood ---> will be so nice if you actually can make it give a bonus for each Templar is on the radius of the skill, like more defense or a Better FHR to the characters on its radius.

Cleanse the Corruption ----> an Attack that will rip through Demons and also remove their corpses from this world, ¿possible to throw a Holy bolt missile on attack?

Strenght of the Soul ----> gain a bonus on Strenght during a time based on the energy or max mana your character have, maybe add a drawback if you see it powerful.

Daylight/Sunshine Strike/slash ---> when the Templar inflicts damage to its opponent, it will launch a random missiles that will blind the near targets (aka dim vision curse as example)

Bearer of Truth/Enlightment/Dawn -----> every time the Templar hits his target he will gain +1 to light radius and % damage against demons/undeads and possible more AR the attack may also knockback the target or apply a new state to the target at your election.

I'll see if I can find a better ones.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Xcolibri
Champion of the Light

Post by Xcolibri » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:38 pm

Vendanna's post brought up a new idea:
Give him a skill (or maybe equípment) that has increasing bonus at daytimes. Vice versa for dark characters, they could have a skill which is better at night.
The fitting suffix should be already in 1.09
Skill: Heavy 'n Hefty [...]
!!!! only that !!!! a bit powerful no ?
It depends. If the chance for each is like 5% it is not overpowered.

Aedeon

Post by Aedeon » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:53 pm

can you make a skill that would probably be a modified version of the assassin's charges, you hold down the skill for 2-6 seconds, charging up the power of the skill every 2 seconds to do more damage or attacks or area affect for the skill. Would work well for a samurai or blade master character, especialy if you had a sheathed animation for thier sword (in town anim might work).

examples would be: (skill tree from a samurai character I had made)

Murasame – charge up that adds % enhanced damage, raises attack speed to the maximum by the third charge, and adds attack rating.

Sun Strike – charge up that converts a % of your damage to fire damage and gives a small explosive radius leaving a bit of fire on the ground and sending firestorms out from the strike.

Stasis Strike – charge up that converts a % of your damage into ice damage and chilling/freezing/shooting ice spikes at any enemy in a small radius depending on the charge.

Koutetsu – charge up that converts a % of your damage into lightning damage and sends it out forward as a beam of energy charge extends the piercing and radius of the beam.

Muramasa – melee weapon only charge up that does 1-3 wide slashing attacks that can it multiple targets with each slash and extends the range of the slashes with damage based on Murasame.

Kiyomori – melee weapon only charge up teleporting dash through any enemies damaging them on route; charge extends the range and radius of the dash; ends up facing the direction he came from.

Masamune – melee weapon only charge up that does enhanced damage and spins the samurai like a slower moving controlled whirlwind and releases a swirling energy of wind and magic around him that damage and draw enemies into the blade.

Chirijiraden – melee weapon only charge up that releases a series 3, 5 or 7, instant zeal like attacks with long range.

Charge Counter – passive, any enemy who attacks in melee while the samurai is charging has a chance to be countered with stunning charged bolts.

Quick Draw – passive, reduces the amount of time it takes to charge each skill, eventually down to 2 seconds for a full charge.

I have some other skill ideas too but not sure if it's possible to do some of them, stuff like combo skills x% chance to fire second attack of combo after first one hits, then y% chance to fire third skill in combo after that.

or for the hustler martial artist cabal (assuming they're still in, please!) a melee skill called throw that knocks an enemy back across the screen (maybe through knockback, or by turning enemy into a missle) that the enemy will then damage others as it slams past them.

have a bunch of martial artist/monk skill ideas if you want them, and a bunch of shadow skills if your still doing the shadeling
Last edited by Aedeon on Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
confidant . . . cocky . . . lazy . . . dead

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:58 am

Warning, monster post. :)

First of all, an idea:
Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Duel Codex / Enemy Focus:
The way to make it work is not an invisible nova on striking, or you'll knock your target back as well, and end up cloning my Rolling Thunder. The proper way is making a Charged Strike copy [1 missile, range 0, AlwaysExplode] that emits an invisible nova with range=x that AlwaysExplodes into invisible novas with range=(x-1). :)

The trick is that the CS bolt starts on top of the monster, so you are guaranteed to miss your target regardless of weapon range.

Now for the actual characters... sorry for forgetting your names. :)

First, having 689 different poison spells is useless, as it doesn't stack and no one is going to get more than 1 spell per element anyway.

In nomine Dei Nostri...

Pick your high/dark god, and outfit your character in his colours. Of course you can't directly change your char's skin colours, but his spells would be a good start. Take their graphics and recolour them in ImageReady or whatever. It makes them look much more interesting if there is a sense of consistency between them.

Red and black, green and black, even white and black for an evil god; white and gold or white and red for a good god; pick one and be consistent.

Dun want to blow my own horn, but the combination of my transparent black summons and that purplish-white of the Stigmata spell and Overlord's aura looks infinitely better than just a normal blue ice spell, green aura and tutti-frutti minions.

I'll make my puppets dance...

As for the necromancer, people will expect him to be minion-oriented , but add more corpse spells than just minions, for extra strategic value. Add a spell that turns a corpse into a healing ward. Or a spell that turns a corpse into a stationary grim ward-thing that shoots enemies, but obviously cannot move or tank. Makes people think about what spell to use when, as opposed to selecting their one corpse targeting spell, waiting for the minions to kill stuff and clicking a lot.

Add about 6 different minions, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Think of it like Warcraft 3. Massing one unit never works [unless you exploit mass hunts+misha and are a gosu {filtered}]. Add one minion that weakens enemies on striking, one that does massive damage, one or two with an aura, or maybe one that is immune to physical. A minion that chills enemies - great crowd control, but not good for the corpse count.

Never make the Blizzard mistake and allow a minion-based character to summon them up from thin air. Shadowmaster, grizzly and VALKYRIE are all abused for their ability to absorb all damage and be recasted instantly when they die.

If they required corpses, it'd put an end to combat casting. Maybe a chance to teleport when hit, both to remove the frustration of them running into the ES Cursed Might minotaur boss pack you're fleeing from, and to reduce their utility as impenetrable meat walls, forcing the necro to at least think about getting ONE hit point item in Hell 'just in case'. It'd allow ya to make them do good damage without ending up with an overpowered character, which is why Blizzard made them do bad damage. Which sucks.

As for the paladin, be cynical! God isn't just love and compassion, but also witch-burning, crusades and hellfire. Weakening and life draining spells are better suited to the paladin than to the necro. :) How about an ultimate spell that turns him into a demon? [use state stuff to make the demon look scary]

Anyway, some skills:

Recrucifixion - if ya dun like the name, pick something else, but there's a reason for it. Maybe you've seen the Stigmata spell in Median, which is supposed to place a 'cross of ice' on the ground, but it's more like a big X there. But I thought about it for a while, and realized there IS a way to make it look like an actual cross.

- Use a Blizzard spell to place a missile at the target spot.
- This missile uses a FO movement function with duration 1 and frequency 10, so it fires one missile and instantly terminates. This one missile will always go towards the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
- Give the missile a speed and range [pick something].
- When the initial missile terminates, it AlwaysExplodes into a new missile. [use ShockFieldInAir explosion] Give this new missile the FO movement function, duration 4 frames, frequency 1, direction increment 16. This will cause it to very quickly fire 4 missiles towards the corners of the screen.
- Make those missiles FirewallMakers. Use fancy recoloured flame graphics for the fires [white/gray or bloody red would look very good here]. You'll need to add some new missile entries, because the FW effect also calls FireMedium and FireSmall for more variation in flames.
- Give them the same range and speed as that missile you fired at the bottom of the screen in step 3.
- Go back to said missile, make it invisible and make it AlwaysExplode when it reaches its destination [again with the SFIA explosion]. The newly spawned missile is stationary and lasts for 1 frame. It uses the FO movement function with frequency 10. This will cause it to fire another missile towards the lower right hand corner of the screen.
- Set this missile to be the same as the FirewallMaker ones [use the same entry because it'd just be copy-paste otherwise].

Presto! :) Now when you click on a destination, it will cast an actual cross of flames. Don't worry, I won't use it myself [unless you don't - but I won't miss it. Have too many necro spells already].

It's all in the smoke and mirrors - if you just use mundane flame graphics it'll look boring, but use recoloured flames and a recoloured casting anim it's way better. :)

I drain your days! I drain your nights! How to make Energy Drain work. :)

There is a neat way to make Energy Drain-type spells work:

Give all enemies a built-in conviction aura, as well as a prayer aura. The conviction heals the affected units [you] by an amount equal to stat('spell_energydrain'.accr) per pulse, and the prayer has a radius of 0 and heals -stat('spell_energydrain'.accr) per pulse.

Now just give a character a curse [preferably a radius curse like Inner Sight, to make it somewhat harder to use] that increases the 'spell_energydrain' of its targets by 10*lvl. See what happens. :)

Alternatively, if the negative prayer doesn't work, use a double nova [short lived stationary missile with FO movement that first spawns 1 missile that explodes into a nova, then detonates into a nova too], of which the first hit is a Battlecry missile that increases the 'spell_energydrain' of the targets and the second one inflicts burn or poison damage.

Enemies killed by the prayer life drain won't give experience, but so be it. It's not a kill spell anyway. [or use the alternative method, and use poison damage]

Stampede! Ya know the War3 spell?

- Cast a missile that stays in place, lasts for 1 frame and has the FO movement function. This will shoot one bolt at the bottom right corner of the screen. Give it a negative speed so it goes to the top left.
- Make it AlwaysExplode at the end of its trajectory, using the SFIA explosion. The resulting missile sits in place and uses the FO movement function to spawn a lot of invisible missiles over 3-5 seconds.
- These missiles move outwards for about half a screen length, then AlwaysExplode into new invisible missiles that stay put, last for 1 frame and have the FO movement function. [remember, this is all happening two screens away at the top left]
- This movement function will spawn 1 missile, that goes towards the bottom right - back towards you.
- A lot of these are being created, and they will all move towards you, following parallel lines.
- Make them look like rhinos or bulls or if you can't find anything better, spirit wolves. Give them knockback and physical damage.

When cast, after about a second [travel time] a lot of beasts will come pouring in from the top left and run across the screen, causing damage to all enemies in their way.

The only minor problem with the skill is that it doesn't work if there's a wall on the top left that interrupts the initial missile, but you know, DUH. Animals can't run through walls anyway. AIM it. :)

Flash

Ya know, the D1 spell? I'm using it but it's from D1 and hence community property. The way it works is that the spell is in fact a missile with FO movement that fires a couple of missiles-that-instantly-explode-into-nova, combined with a Fade spell that uses overlays from overlays.txt - front is FlashFront, back is FlashBack.

The fact that it fires multiple novas is a requisite to make it work - you could make the initial missile instantly explode into a nova, but this is a 'fire and brimstone' solution, and if you time it wrong you're fuxxored because of the tiny radius - you'd be unable to cast it again and kill the enemies surrounding you before they're upon you.

Theoretically you could make it hit 19 times - the animation is 19 frames long - but then you won't be able to make the gap between skill levels any lower than 19 damage points. Mine hits 4 times. Yours could hit 8 times.

Variation: recolour the flash anim golden - Solar Flash.

Hes got a level 6 pm! [leaves game]

There's something nifty with the Armageddon effect: if you make the ArmageddonFire instantly AlwaysExplode, make everything else about the spell invisible, set the radius to 1 and make the meteors drop [nearly] instantly, you can basically make your own 'active' aura effects.

A neat one would be a FO collision function that emits invisible knockback missiles, with a 'meteor delay' of 25. Every second all nearby enemies will get knocked back. A bit uber maybe, but a delay of 50 would be better, or just a nova that does weapon damage, so it'd be like hitting all nearby enemies with your weapon every 2 seconds or so. But that would be more of a druid spell, and no one plays druids.

Or if you use a nova with a special collision effect, you can target stuff on enemies. If you make this collision effect look and act like meteor, you could make a skill - Starfall - that causes meteors to drop at nearby enemies, instead of randomly. Or if you use a Fireball collision, you'd have a neat druid or paladin skill - all nearby enemies explode, causing damage to themselves and other nearby enemies.

Apocalypse: I assume you know how to do this [hint: the mushroom cloud should be an overlay effect], but if you add splash damage to it, the spell becomes more effective against enemies that are bunched up.

Also, you must have at least one missile skill that goes through walls. Skarra wants one, and who are you to protest?

Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Heavy 'n Hefty:

No! Not another single target melee attack!!

Xcolibri";p="131452" wrote: Sign of Glory:

Even better: each hit reduces physical and elemental damage by xx% for a couple of frames. Keep hitting to receive vastly reduced damage. Stop hitting [wilfully or not], you're dead.

Which reminds me: a skill that causes the user to blink invulnerable for x frames when struck? [like a War3 faerie dragon...]

And for the love of all that's holy [and me]: what are those names??!?...

Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Sinister Shower:
[Area] Like the Blizzard skill, just black with unholy bolts coming down, poison & magic damage

Isn't that skill in about 26 other mods already?

Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Purple Lightning:
[Missile] Can you colour the D2 Lightning? Let it deal damage that increase every second while consuming also more mana each second

Nah, Black Lightning is nicer. [use transparency=2] And make it do damage for as long as the enemy is under the lightning bolt instead of just when it first hits.

Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Lord of the Swamp:
[Area] Can you alter the druid's skill that opens the earth to look green? Giving poison damage. Plus release a given amounts of the poison vines with magical damage. Plus a swarm of ravens. ^^
Casting delay, too.

But too similar to existing skills. If it isn't better than the original, drop it.

Joel" wrote:
Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Swirling Crystal:
[Missile?] Enchant a monster with a missile that circles it, giving damage to any adjacent monsters but not damaging itself.

Maybe using a variation of the Druid poison atatck.

No, Fist of Heavens. :)

Xcolibri";p="124449" wrote: Haunting Light:
[Area?] Like D2 Blaze, with lightning instead. Also gives a small bonus to faster R/W as a passive bonus.
(Is it possible to have Blaze with the ground opening skill from the druid?)

If it isn't better than the original... etc.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:35 pm

Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Warning, monster post. :)
Yeah ! monster answers !
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: The way to make it work is not an invisible nova on striking, or you'll knock your target back as well, and end up cloning my Rolling Thunder. The proper way is making a Charged Strike copy [1 missile, range 0, AlwaysExplode] that emits an invisible nova with range=x that AlwaysExplodes into invisible novas with range=(x-1). :)
^^ one day i'm sure i'll understand the nanotech alien devices you have in your brain and allow you to think so fast and efficiently !!
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Now for the actual characters... sorry for forgetting your names. :)
I do it myself so you' reforgiven :D
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: First, having 689 different poison spells is useless, as it doesn't stack and no one is going to get more than 1 spell per element anyway.
That's why corruptor is out and cannibalized into other cabal.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Pick your high/dark god, and outfit your character in his colours. Of course you can't directly change your char's skin colours, but his spells would be a good start. Take their graphics and recolour them in ImageReady or whatever. It makes them look much more interesting if there is a sense of consistency between them.
basically, if my Hellsapwn cabal is devoted to Dazeran, Avatar of Pain, well all his spells/minions etc ... could have a cmmon color/light theme, is it ?
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Add a spell that turns a corpse into a healing ward.
Done :) ancestor blessing (Templar spells)
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Or a spell that turns a corpse into a stationary grim ward-thing that shoots enemies, but obviously cannot move or tank.
aka as Deathspeaker's Wailing Banshee spell.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Add about 6 different minions, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Think of it like Warcraft 3. Massing one unit never works [unless you exploit mass hunts+misha and are a gosu {filtered}]. Add one minion that weakens enemies on striking, one that does massive damage, one or two with an aura, or maybe one that is immune to physical. A minion that chills enemies - great crowd control, but not good for the corpse count.
I tought ot get 6-8 minions with basic skills that can get pumped trough other skills. Pumping up your own Hellfire spells will grant your minion
extra fire dmg ...
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Never make the Blizzard mistake and allow a minion-based character to summon them up from thin air. Shadowmaster, grizzly and VALKYRIE are all abused for their ability to absorb all damage and be recasted instantly when they die.
I only got one "from air" summon (Inquistor Squire spell) but is quite dependant on YOUr item setup to be efficient.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: As for the paladin, be cynical! God isn't just love and compassion, but also witch-burning, crusades and hellfire. Weakening and life draining spells are better suited to the paladin than to the necro. :) How about an ultimate spell that turns him into a demon? [use state stuff to make the demon look scary]
Hmmm .... you play too much WarIII (demon hunter whatso ever ?)
I already plan some nasty stuff. Retaliate (-red-dmg curse) and stuff like that already have migrate from Chaos to Knight.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Recrucifixion - if ya dun like the name, pick something else, but there's a reason for it. Maybe you've seen the Stigmata spell in Median, which is supposed to place a 'cross of ice' on the ground, but it's more like a big X there. But I thought about it for a while, and realized there IS a way to make it look like an actual cross.
!!! 8-O must ... come ... home .. test it ....
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: It's all in the smoke and mirrors - if you just use mundane flame graphics it'll look boring, but use recoloured flames and a recoloured casting anim it's way better. :)
i think so. I got some colored fire stuff form IWD2.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Give all enemies a built-in conviction aura, as well as a prayer aura. The conviction heals the affected units [you] by an amount equal to stat('spell_energydrain'.accr) per pulse, and the prayer has a radius of 0 and heals -stat('spell_energydrain'.accr) per pulse.
Damn, ROFL, well my monster will get a fourth invisible aura so :D
I already use it for giving big undead a Negative Energy rate, a flag for evil/good for my Detect Alignement spell .... well, one more is not so drastic ;)
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Stampede! Ya know the War3 spell?
When cast, after about a second [travel time] a lot of beasts will come pouring in from the top left and run across the screen, causing damage to all enemies in their way.
!!! Nature's Call !!! damn ! gotta find a rhino anim :D
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Variation: recolour the flash anim golden - Solar Flash.
god Knight spell
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: There's something nifty with the Armageddon effect: if you make the ArmageddonFire instantly AlwaysExplode, make everything else about the spell invisible, set the radius to 1 and make the meteors drop [nearly] instantly, you can basically make your own 'active' aura effects.
o_O .... details ... i'm lost.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Also, you must have at least one missile skill that goes through walls. Skarra wants one, and who are you to protest?
All praises to Skarra !
She shall be granted the Mirrage spells that launch ghostly arrow that can go trough wall and explode in a arrow nove :pray:
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Even better: each hit reduces physical and elemental damage by xx% for a couple of frames. Keep hitting to receive vastly reduced damage. Stop hitting [wilfully or not], you're dead.

hmmm Shadow strike ;)

@Aedeon : i've noted down all your suggestions thanks a lot:D

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:45 pm

2 additions:

1) DO use new armor looks! It's annoying that half of the CLoD armor looks have armored shoulder pads and unarmored legs, looks really bad on sorcs and paladins.

A nice one is everything 2, except shoulder pads 1 and torso 0, especially on said sorcs and paladins [and especially paladins]. Or everything 1 and torso and shoulders 0 [again, looks good on paladins]. Or legs and torso 1 and arms and shoulders 0 [battlemage look].

2) NEW affixes. % based stat bonuses, freeze/howl/blind thorns, and affixes that interact with skills.txt [more-minions, mod-radius]. Also chance to cast skills that don't exist anywhere else. Keeps ALL uniques and set items interesting instead of just the good ones.

pleasepleaseplease... :)

Now I'm gonna read the rest of the post. :)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:48 pm

Brother Laz";p="131659" wrote: 1) DO use new armor looks! It's annoying that half of the CLoD armor looks have armored shoulder pads and unarmored legs, looks really bad on sorcs and paladins.
will try, I'm currently trying to make a big overview (one image per char class, all armor combination) to choose it easily.
Brother Laz";p="131659" wrote: 2) NEW affixes. % based stat bonuses, freeze/howl/blind thorns, and affixes that interact with skills.txt [more-minions, mod-radius]. Also chance to cast skills that don't exist anywhere else. Keeps ALL uniques and set items interesting instead of just the good ones.
Like :

+x Minion Skill Level
+x% Minion life/ac etc ...
Increase spell sinergy

my dream but i think impossible to do :
Reduce Spell Dealy by x%

For cast-skill .. well, whole bunch of unique got either oskill like that or chane to cast.

The set/unique interes is well, ... open for beta test. barely hard to decide alone if this or that is cool/not cool/uber/not uber ...

NOW IN THE NAME OF SHAKRA : read the post :p

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:03 pm

Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Pick your high/dark god, and outfit your character in his colours. Of course you can't directly change your char's skin colours, but his spells would be a good start. Take their graphics and recolour them in ImageReady or whatever. It makes them look much more interesting if there is a sense of consistency between them.
basically, if my Hellsapwn cabal is devoted to Dazeran, Avatar of Pain, well all his spells/minions etc ... could have a cmmon color/light theme, is it ?
Black and blood red. :twisted:
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Add a spell that turns a corpse into a healing ward.
Done :) ancestor blessing (Templar spells)
Either name it AncestrAL Blessing, or Chrysalis.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Or a spell that turns a corpse into a stationary grim ward-thing that shoots enemies, but obviously cannot move or tank.
aka as Deathspeaker's Wailing Banshee spell.
'Sonic blasts that slay the righteous... that sounds like everything the band stands for' -Sakona Lightbearer of Skarra Dawn, D2:BLACK. :twisted:

Gimme some details about this char/cabal, cause I'm verrry interested. :)
I tought ot get 6-8 minions with basic skills that can get pumped trough other skills. Pumping up your own Hellfire spells will grant your minion
extra fire dmg ...
One problem: you don't need extra fire damage, because you already have it. Hmm, extra passive skills maybe?
Hmmm .... you play too much WarIII (demon hunter whatso ever ?)
I already plan some nasty stuff. Retaliate (-red-dmg curse) and stuff like that already have migrate from Chaos to Knight.
I don't like War3... :P Naah, the fact that my Devil's Whore looks exactly like War3 spirits of vengeance is just a coincidence. :)
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Stampede! Ya know the War3 spell?
!!! Nature's Call !!! damn ! gotta find a rhino anim :D
Please name it something else than that...! :cry: If a given name can be used for at least 10 entirely different skills, pick a different name. :P Such as Stampede, Rampage,...
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: There's something nifty with the Armageddon effect: if you make the ArmageddonFire instantly AlwaysExplode, make everything else about the spell invisible, set the radius to 1 and make the meteors drop [nearly] instantly, you can basically make your own 'active' aura effects.
o_O .... details ... i'm lost.
Well, Armageddon is an effect that follows you and drops meteors that AlwaysExplode into ArmageddonFire. This seems to be required [else the meteors just disappear] but you can make the ArmageddonFire AlwaysExplode into something else. The 'active' auras I mentioned are things like weapon damage, knockback, stun,... delivered periodically to all nearby enemies. They aren't really auras in that you don't need to select them, but they act like them.
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Also, you must have at least one missile skill that goes through walls. Skarra wants one, and who are you to protest?
All praises to Skarra !
She shall be granted the Mirrage spells that launch ghostly arrow that can go trough wall and explode in a arrow nove :pray:
Praise the Night!

Oh and go ahead and steal my skills from Median if you want. :) I'm reusing exactly 2 of them [Blood Flash & Stigmata], the rest are yours to raze. :)

Brother Laz";p="131659" wrote: 2) NEW affixes. % based stat bonuses, freeze/howl/blind thorns, and affixes that interact with skills.txt [more-minions, mod-radius]. Also chance to cast skills that don't exist anywhere else. Keeps ALL uniques and set items interesting instead of just the good ones.
Like :

+x Minion Skill Level
+x% Minion life/ac etc ...
Increase spell sinergy

my dream but i think impossible to do :
Reduce Spell Dealy by x%
Maybe I could help, if I knew what a 'dealy' is and from what planet he/she/it is. ;)
For cast-skill .. well, whole bunch of unique got either oskill like that or chane to cast.

The set/unique interes is well, ... open for beta test. barely hard to decide alone if this or that is cool/not cool/uber/not uber ...
I could come up with about 100 more if you need 'em and have some space in your skills.txt and states.txt... but I'd need your txt files for that. [armor/automanic/magicprefix/magicsuffix/weapons/uniqueitems/setitems/sets] [hmm, nice way to pass the time... ;) ]
NOW IN THE NAME OF SHAKRA : read the post :p
Skarra was not happy. :twisted:
Last edited by Brother Laz on Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:14 pm

Brother Laz";p="131662" wrote: Black and blood red. :twisted:
yeah :beer: only spells colro and light or can i go and make some dcc with twisted color char anim ???
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Either name it AncestrAL Blessing, or Chrysalis.
:p ancestral so (opening up cabal.tbl and change it)
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: 'Sonic blasts that slay the righteous... that sounds like everything the band stands for' -Sakona Lightbearer of Skarra Dawn, D2:BLACK. :twisted:

Gimme some details about this char/cabal, cause I'm verrry interested. :)
deathspeaker is a corpse/undead based cabal. All his spells are based on a new concept : negative energy rating. All undead in the game radiate neg. energy at different rate. This negative energy is captured by the deathspeaker so he can use it as spell power. moreover, his own minions (7 or so) ARE actually undead, so they radiate negative energy too.
All his spells (almost all in fact) are so made that their effect/range/whatsoever increase with negative energy rate of the Deathspeaker.

what o do so to gain more Neg energy ???
-> conjure minion and stay "close"
-> wear items with 'Tainted' mod (that increase neg energy rate when wear)
-> use "Mourning Shine", a spell that use a corpse to raise negative energy by a given amount for a given time.

He also have a skill that open up a mystic gate to the World of darkness (the place where souls go) and spawn out a given number of lost souls, that wander aimslessly, freezing monsters and of course raising neg energy rate.

Knights are also sensible to negative energy, they can detect it (Detect evil) and reduce it with spells like Uncurse, Bless etc ...
One problem: you don't need extra fire damage, because you already have it. Hmm, extra passive skills maybe?
I see ... the idea was here nonetheless.
Please name it something else than that...! :cry:
yeah of course, moreover it seems tha nature's call have a VERY different meaning in fact ...
Ok I see, like having a Holy Fire aura that carry weap dmg ??
(extra simplified example of course don't curse me)
Arf :smileywithheadupsidedown: ppl will AGAIn told I stole you ROFL :D

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:15 pm

Brother Laz";p="131662" wrote: Maybe I could help, if I knew what a 'dealy' is and from what planet he/she/it is. ;)
hehe, one day i'll write a full post here with NO TYPOS !
i mean "Spell DELAY"
I could come up with about 100 more if you need 'em and have some space in your skills.txt and states.txt... but I'd need your txt files for that. [armor/automanic/magicprefix/magicsuffix/weapons/uniqueitems/setitems/sets] [hmm, nice way to pass the time... ;) ]
Stop him please, someone give him a break :D
i'll see, trying to clutter up them and i may sen dit to you if you eally want.
Skarra was not happy. :twisted:
noooooooooooooooooo !!!!

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:27 pm

Joel";p="131663" wrote:
Brother Laz";p="131662" wrote: Black and blood red. :twisted:
yeah :beer: only spells colro and light or can i go and make some dcc with twisted color char anim ???
You wouldn't have to change character anims because of the wonders of states.txt, but a skill that turns the character into Something Nasty (tm) would be nice. [demon form demon form demon form...]
deathspeaker is a corpse/undead based cabal. All his spells are based on a new concept : negative energy rating. All undead in the game radiate neg. energy at different rate. This negative energy is captured by the deathspeaker so he can use it as spell power. moreover, his own minions (7 or so) ARE actually undead, so they radiate negative energy too.
All his spells (almost all in fact) are so made that their effect/range/whatsoever increase with negative energy rate of the Deathspeaker.
WOOOT! *drool*
what o do so to gain more Neg energy ???
-> conjure minion and stay "close"
-> wear items with 'Tainted' mod (that increase neg energy rate when wear)
-> use "Mourning Shine", a spell that use a corpse to raise negative energy by a given amount for a given time.
And you're still saying your skills are uninspired?!?! 'Mourning Shine' is an interesting name, btw. :)
Ok I see, like having a Holy Fire aura that carry weap dmg ??
(extra simplified example of course don't curse me)
Yep... and no, I won't curse you anymore. :p
Brother Laz";p="131655" wrote: Oh and go ahead and steal my skills from Median if you want. :) I'm reusing exactly 2 of them [Blood Flash & Stigmata], the rest are yours to raze. :)
Arf :smileywithheadupsidedown: ppl will AGAIn told I stole you ROFL :D
Ahmmm... people tell ME I stole YOUR ideas.
Stop him please, someone give him a break :D
i'll see, trying to clutter up them and i may sen dit to you if you eally want.[/quote]

If I can help... :) cause you see, I've only got a few hours of free time per week these days. Not enough time to do anything constructive to my own mod, but helping yours along is just as interesting and takes less time. :)

So if you need/want/can use more items... :) [ForTheeEndymion@yahoo.com :) ]
Median XL released!

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:32 pm

Brother Laz";p="131667" wrote: You wouldn't have to change character anims because of the wonders of states.txt, but a skill that turns the character into Something Nasty (tm) would be nice. [demon form demon form demon form...]
well, but i got problem to be sure that the whole char chaneg color. Sometimes state colorshift I use only change color of a PART of the armor ... but well I'm a n00b :p
WOOOT! *drool*
And you're still saying your skills are uninspired?!?! 'Mourning Shine' is an interesting name, btw. :)
Got this idea this week end after a 3 hours brainstorming white page syndrom in front of my xemacs console !
Yep... and no, I won't curse you anymore. :p
Ahmmm... people tell ME I stole YOUR ideas.
something's wrong in this world my friend :D
If I can help... :) cause you see, I've only got a few hours of free time per week these days. Not enough time to do anything constructive to my own mod, but helping yours along is just as interesting and takes less time. :)
k, I'll see :p
Last edited by Joel on Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:32 pm

Just to tell you guys that I AM NOT dead nor leaving the mod. I try to do the more job possible and quite succeed. Sorry to not post screenshot or stuff but I prefer to concentrate on that to get a first Chapter done.
Be sure you'll be surprise ;)

Tyd
Paladin

Post by Tyd » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:12 pm

stil waiting, and waiting, and wating. oh did i mention that im stil waiting :D. anyway, it more important that you release a good version, so don't rush ... :)

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:26 pm

Joel";p="132697" wrote:Just to tell you guys that I AM NOT dead nor leaving the mod. I try to do the more job possible and quite succeed. Sorry to not post screenshot or stuff but I prefer to concentrate on that to get a first Chapter done.
Be sure you'll be surprise ;)
hmm

Joel

Last Post: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:03 pm

I'm sure at least you didn't died this morning so I can wait :P

a question, the act 15 (I think is the one with angel fighting demons) is where you understand that angels are not good nor the Demons and they are fighting between them to take control over humanity and then you need to kill both of them? (hmm I got a bit of influence from an old sega saturn game called guardian heroes)

have a nice time and don't rush, but remember to visit Brother laz on Skills.txt ;)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:10 am

Vendanna";p="132787" wrote: Joel

Last Post: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:03 pm

I'm sure at least you didn't died this morning so I can wait :P
ROFL
Vendanna";p="132787" wrote: A question, the act 15 (I think is the one with angel fighting demons) is where you understand that angels are not good nor the Demons and they are fighting between them to take control over humanity and then you need to kill both of them? (hmm I got a bit of influence from an old sega saturn game called guardian heroes)
damn againa psychic thief :p You point it right.
Vendanna";p="132787" wrote: have a nice time and don't rush, but remember to visit Brother laz on Skills.txt ;)
Yeah, That's easy I am in there as well currently, with a secondary
residence in properties.txt

Blashyrkh

Post by Blashyrkh » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:50 pm

I think im as excited about this mod as i was for the release of LoD . Just thinking about it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside .

Return to “Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide”