[1.10]Creating temporary stat altering potions

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

No votes

Total votes: 0

Drackin
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

[1.10]Creating temporary stat altering potions

Post by Drackin » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:37 am

OK, this is my first tutorial, and it will teach you how to make potions that alter your characters stats like resistance, maximum health, and damage etc etc...

Please read EDITS at the bottom when your done reading the tutorial.
(you must know how to edit table files)

First, open misc.txt. Find the thawing potion(row #10) and copy it.
Paste it at the bottom of the file. Re-name it to Fire Resist potion (or whatever you like, but this tutorial is for a fire resistance potion) Change the code to frp and namestr to frp.
Then scroll over until you hit the "State" column, and change that to "potion_fire_res" Remove the entries for cstate1 and cstate2, in the Len column, you must specify a length in frames that the effect will last, or the potion will not work. (I believe it will just stay in your inventory, unused and will not apply the effect)
For Stat1 change it to "fireresist" the number beside it controls how much to add to your fire resistance. in Stat2, is another effect the potion can have, change it to "maxfireresist" and enter a number beside that. Then in the spelldesc column, put 1, and in spelldescstr, input the string you'll use in the table file (I put PotionFireRes) and close misc.txt

Now open states.txt, Create a new column, and in the state field, put "potion_fire_res" and change the ID to the next number in the list. Scroll over to "rfblue" and enter 1, this will make it so when the potion is used, and for the duration of it, the resist fire field in your character stat panel in-game will be blue.
Now, scroll over to the Stat column, and input "fireresist". And finally in the eol column, put 0 (to prevent the trailing bits error for ms excel users).
Now you have a potion that will add however much fire resistance you want, and increase your maximum fire resistance for a temporary duration.

But we still have to add our entries into patchstring.tbl
So using whatever table editor you like (for this I'm using darkstorms)
open patchstring.tbl and add the entry "frp" and for the text enter "Fire Resistance Potion".
Create another new entry called "PotionFireRes" and enter in this order, from top to bottom and in new rows: "+X% to Maximum Fire Resistance", "+Y% to Fire Resistance"
(where X is the number you entered for maximum fire resistance, and Y is the number you entered for the addition to fireresistance)

Now the item will work in the game, but it has no visual flare, or representation, but that is no good. this part is Entierly optional, but will make the effect look better.
Back in states.txt scroll over to "overlay1" and enter "aura_resistfire", now scroll over to "Castoverlay" and enter "fire_cast_2". now finally scroll over to "onsound" and enter "paladin_aura_resistfire".

Now when you drink the potion, you'll get a Very nice effect.

But a warning, if you drink 2 of the exact same potions, it will stop the effect (eg/ drink the fire res potion, then drink another and the it will stop the effect)

Now, since you cloned the thawing potion, these will still be sold by any vendor that will sell thawing potions, and for 25 gold only. So you will have to change that on your own.

You can create any type of potion you want using modifiers from itemstatcosts.txt. (although some may not work, but I have not tested any that do not work)

ALSO, it is good to have a visual for any stat you are changing, that is in no way visible (eg/ dmg resistance, magic find, gold find, +% experience)

EDIT: Made it easier to read by seperating some lines.

EDIT: info from kingping an jugalator
kingpin" wrote: pSpell 9 = Used by stamina potion/Herbs
pSpell 8 = Used by Elixir potion that Adds Experience (All potions that needed to add stats to a player should use pSpell 8)
pSpell 7 = Used by Horadic Cube
pSpell 6 = Used by Thawing Potion
pSpell 5 = Used by Rejuvenation potion/Full rejuvenate potion
pSpell 4 = Not used
pSpell 3 = Used by Health/Mana potions
pSpell 2 = Used by Book of Townportal/Townportal scroll
pSpell 1 = Used by Book of Identify/Scroll of Identify
And from jugalator, you MUST create a state for the potion to work aparently.

Edit (JBouley): Disabled smilies to prevent a "cool" smilie where a parenthesis followed the number 8.
Last edited by Drackin on Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
WARNING: Prolonged exposure to modding may cause temporary insanity and include sexual side effects, IE/ The lack thereof.

inhalantnut
Paladin

Re: [1.10]Creating temporary stat altering potions

Post by inhalantnut » Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:05 am

Great tutorial.
But a warning, if you drink 2 of the exact same potions, it will stop the effect (eg/ drink the fire res potion, then drink another and the it will stop the effect)
About this part I don't know how to correct for it but I also noticed that if you use two so the second cancels the first and then use a third you would expect that you would have it again, but it doesn't work that way it stays disabled. Until the time comes for the thing to disable itself then you can use it again and have the effect again.

Blizzard's Thawing potion has the same problem, I'm assuming this is probably a bug. And is by no means a problem with this tutorial.

EDIT: Last line in the paragraph after the quote added. Probably nobody had time to read it before the edit anyway. :)
Last edited by inhalantnut on Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apocalypse Demon
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by Apocalypse Demon » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:21 am

Hmm, bug eh? I think I should set up a sticky thread specifically for 1.10 bugs so Isolde can fix them. ;)

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:57 am

In the process above you also learn how to change the amount healing potions should heal, etc... Yet another previous code-editing job becoming textified :)

Pretty good tutorial, it just needs some double-spacing and it's a definate winner :D
New Dawn (X)
North Star
Thought & Effort. (Now it's always in my posts)
Deutschsprachig, falls jemand mich braucht :)

Drackin
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Drackin » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:14 am

for healing potions, you can also now specify the time it takes to heal that amount, its the stat before the amount that is healed.
WARNING: Prolonged exposure to modding may cause temporary insanity and include sexual side effects, IE/ The lack thereof.

Jugalator
Paladin

Post by Jugalator » Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:09 pm

Apocalypse Demon";p="111635" wrote:Hmm, bug eh? I think I should set up a sticky thread specifically for 1.10 bugs so Isolde can fix them. ;)
Bug reports should be sent to either DII110Beta@blizzard.com or the official Battle.net forum set up for 1.10 bug reporting. Or both. :)
From my death I do rise,
from the ashes I do thrive.
From the deepest boils of hell,
my own death I do dispell.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:45 pm

A note to the Blizzard patch dropbox is a good idea, but we can also post here so we know what the bugs are too. After all, we help fix them!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Jugalator
Paladin

Post by Jugalator » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:25 pm

Yeah, that's of course fine, as long as we tell Blizzard about them too... Since even if Isolde is A Great Guy, I'm not sure we can expect him to watch all bug reports here... :)

Anyway, big thanks for this guide! I had difficulties with pSkill = 8 but that of course just happened to be 1 away from getting it to work (I heard both 6 and 9 does). :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jugalator on Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From my death I do rise,

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:34 pm

Jugalator";p="112598" wrote:Anyway, big thanks for this guide! I had difficulties with pSkill = 8 but that of course just happened to be 1 away from getting it to work (I heard both 6 and 9 does). :mrgreen:
OK, this is the second thread in which I've seen reference to pSkill = 6 or pSkill = 9 being needed to make the potion work.

I don't see those references anywhere in the tutorial. Am I blind? Or is this referring to some other file?

I haven't been able to dig into the 1.10 files yet, so maybe the answer would be more obvious when I do...but I want to make sure the tutorials are as complete as possible.

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing or not understanding here with pSkill #s in regard to custom potions?
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:42 pm

First, open misc.txt. Find the thawing potion(row #10) an copy it.
This part makes it work since it uses pSpell 6. But, that would be worth to mention in this tutorial. pSpell are using a function for different effects.

You can for example make a potion that uses pSpell 7. When you rightclick you will open up Horadic Cube. Even if you don't own that one yet.

pSpell 9 = Used by stamina potion/Herbs
pSpell 8 = Used by Elixir potion that Adds Experience (All potions that needed to add stats to a player should use pSpell 8)
pSpell 7 = Used by Horadic Cube
pSpell 6 = Used by Thawing Potion
pSpell 5 = Used by Rejuvenation potion/Full rejuvenate potion
pSpell 4 = Not used
pSpell 3 = Used by Health/Mana potions
pSpell 2 = Used by Book of Townportal/Townportal scroll
pSpell 1 = Used by Book of Identify/Scroll of Identify

Joel : removed smiley :)
Last edited by kingpin on Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jugalator
Paladin

Post by Jugalator » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:17 pm

I've now succesfully created both "Rainbow Elixir" that temporarily increases all elemental resistances and "Elixir of Strength", etc for each attribute that increases the various attributes by 20 for 10 seconds. Everything is working fine but I had some trouble that apparently was because I *had* to make a state for the potions, even if I didn't need any (so I added a blank state in states.txt). This should perhaps be mentioned in any guides regarding custom potions.

I also saw that the bug with a second potion cancelling out the previous one if it was "the same" is, to be more precise, caused if the *state* is the same. That is the critical field -- if two completely different potions giving different effects use some sort of dummy state that doesn't do anything but is just there to make the potion work, they will cancel each other out since both are using the same state. Yes, I find that pretty annoying and think the cancelling out in the first place is due to a bug. Almost seem like when you apply a state with a potion, the game performs this boolean operation:

<new state mask> = <previous state mask> NOT <true> (actually perhaps not just "true" but you get my point)

That does indeed activate if the previous state was false / inactive. But if it was active, that expression would evaluate to false, causing the new state to be "inactive". There also seem to be another bug in that you can't reactivate the potion by drinking yet another one after the two first, but have to wait for the duration to expire, otherwise any drinking will be silently ignored?

Anyway, the proper expression should IMHO be:

<new state mask> = <previous state mask> OR <true> (again simplified, but my point is it seems like NOT is used instead of OR )

Which would preserve the state even if another potion is drunk.

I mean... Even the unmodded 1.10 beta get this behavior if you drink two antidotes after each other... That just can't be right. :-/
Last edited by Jugalator on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
From my death I do rise,

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:12 am

Am I alone to NOT be successful with this one :/
Try to make a +Xp potions, copying the Thawing potion and changing state but with no success.

SHould I use pSpell 6 or 8 or 9??? I'm lost !!
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:43 am

Add this:

pSpell: 6
state: shrine_experience
len: 1000
stat1: experience
calc1: 100

This will only add temporal experience and are for no real use i think.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:44 am

There is no way to add a stat permanently like having elixir of strength,dex etc ... or even elixir giving free skill points ???

Well, oughta do some more code editing so ...
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:29 pm

When i was working on finish the misc.txt fileguide i discovered a nice stuff with temporary stats items.

I have got a temporary stat item to work without the bug.

How does temp items works? You add a stat from states.txt. The important here is to only use the state effect from one state and not mix like atleast i have done earlier.

pSpell: All temporary potions can use pSpell = 6. This is a parameter for the function that handles the temporary items.

state: this parameter is for Overlay effect. this is only visual effect.

cstate1: this parameter is used to get a stat from states.txt. It's really important that you remember what stat you have choose when you are going to use stat1. Othervise you will get the known bug, or what it actually are a missunderstanding of how temporary items works.

cstate2: this is a second parameter. Se cstate1 for more information. But you can add two different states to an item.

len: This parameter is used to set the time for the temporal items. This cannot be 0.

stat1: This tells what stat to add to the player.
calc1: This is what value you want to add.
stat2: This tells what stat to add to the player.
calc2: This is what value you want to add.
stat3: This tells what stat to add to the player.
calc3: This is what value you want to add.

spelldesc:
0 = don't use any description or calculation.
1 = use spelldescrtr only
2 = use spelldescrtr and spelldesccalc.

spelldescstr: This gives an description to your temporal item what it does.
spelldesccalc: This shows the total effect of all your items for this stats.

here are two example potions:

Frozen Armor temporal item.
state: frozenarmor (this use the entry that in state column from states.txt)

cstate1: frozenarmor (this use the state column id and adds the overlay1/overlay2 gfx)

len: 200

Stat1: skill_armor_percent (Look into frozenarmor state and it's the stat column we are going to use)

calc1: 100 (We adds 100% to the armorclass)

Resist fire temporal item.

state: resistfire (this use the entry that in state column from states.txt)

cstate1: resistfire (this use the state column id and adds the overlay gfx)

len: 200

Stat1: fireresist (Look into resistfire state and it's the stat column we are going to use)

calc1: 100 (We adds 50% to the fireresist

Jugalator
Paladin

Post by Jugalator » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:08 pm

Hmm, the existing Antidote and Thawing potions have these settings:

In misc.txt:

Antidote Potion:
pSpell = 6, state = antidote, cstate1 = poison, stat1 = poisonresist, stat2 = maxpoisonresist

Thawing Potion:
pSpell = 6, state = thawing, cstate1 = freeze, stat1 = coldresist, stat2 = maxcoldresist

However, in states.txt, it looks like this:

poison:
stat = (empty)

freeze:
stat = (empty)

Since both Antidote and Thawing potions doesn't work correctly even in the umodded game, are you saying this is because the stat columns in state.txt isn't set and they should perhaps be poisonresist respectively coldresist, since otherwise they won't match neither the stat1 nor the stat2 columns for the potions in misc.txt?

I'm trying to show the problem with the colors. :)

Update: Just fixed my potions to do what kingpin was saying, and they now work after drinking several after each other! Yay :) So I guess that's where the bug with 1.10's potions are: misc.txt's stat1/stat2 doesn't match state.txt's stat field.
Last edited by Jugalator on Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
From my death I do rise,

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:08 pm

yep,

that are the bug with thawing/antidote potions. Easy to fix for modders atleast ;)

Bug fix for existing temporal potions:

Do the following changes in misc.txt down here.

Stamina Potion:
cstate1: staminapot

Antidote Potion:

cstate1: antidote
cstate2: antidonte_poison

Thawing Potion:

state: resistcold
cstate1:resistcold
cstate2: thawing

Do the following changes in states.txt down here.

thawing:
stat: maxcoldresist

antidote:
stat: maxpoisonresist

antidonte_poison: (Add a new line at end of your states.txt and copy posion stat into here)

stat: maxpoisonresist

staminapot:

stat: staminarecoverybonus

So, now should your potions work as it should. I added the overlay aura to thawing potion since it looks nice.

EDIT: Changed the wrong stats for thawing stats.
Last edited by kingpin on Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Acromatic Aria
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Acromatic Aria » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:40 pm

Joel";p="112783" wrote: There is no way to add a stat permanently like having elixir of strength,dex etc ... or even elixir giving free skill points ???

Well, oughta do some more code editing so ...
Yes, you can also make potions that give permanent effects. Rather than using the thawing/stamina/antidote potions as a base, use the healing/mana potions. To get these to work remove the value from the length column and replace stat1 with the stat you want to increase (inserting the amount you want to increase it by in calc1). Place experience in the stat1 field and make a potion that gives experience to your character. Place gold to add gold to your character. Place strength, dexterity, vitality, or energy in that field to permanently raise that stat or place statpts there to give the player extra stat points to place whereever he/she likes. Likewise newskills will give the player extra skill points.

Basically, any entry in ItemStatCost that has a 1 in the saved column for that stat and some value in the CSvSigned and CSvBits columns can be permanently raised through the use of a potion. Also, it seems that if you add these three fields in ItemStatCosts for other stats, you can also permanently raise them through these potions. I've tested it by adding entries for all the resistance and maxresistance stats, and through some testing involving being hit by monsters doing elemental damage, it appears to work just fine. I'd imagine it would work with several other stats as well like min/max elemental damages allowing characters to have several permanent enchantment bonuses without a single piece of equipment!

A couple of notes:
1) Don't use the level stat for a potion. It will raise the character's level, but it won't give the character the needed exp to reach that level nor will it grant the stat/skill points that normally go with obtaining that level.

2) If you create an experience potion, keep in mind that if your character gets more experience than is required for his/her next level, the game won't actually register that the player has gained a level until he/she kills something. Still, without any new 1.10 character editors, I've found this to be a good way to build a high level character in a hurry :) (while the gold stat is useful if you'd like to test some of your gambling edits).

Edit: Note 3) It appears that the energy and vitality stats are buggy again, so increasing those stats doesn't increase max mana/stamina/life. For now it would be better to make potions for those specific stats instead (maxmana, maxhp and maxstamina).
Last edited by Acromatic Aria on Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:08 pm

Acromatic Aria" wrote:A couple of notes:
1) Don't use the level stat for a potion. It will raise the character's level, but it won't give the character the needed exp to reach that level nor will it grant the stat/skill points that normally go with obtaining that level.
However, I'm guessing the use of level would be good for a temporary potion, though, giving you a higher level of power with your skills/spells for a period of time.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:15 pm

not to mention the ability to use other items ;).
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:15 pm

Acromatic Aria:

Thanx for this information. I suspected that this would work since hp/mana, rejuv used permanent effects. But, i didn't think so long to look into itemstatcost ;)

RagnarokES

Post by RagnarokES » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:41 am

kingpin";p="112886" wrote:thawing:
stat: staminarecoverybonus
Shouldn't that be:

stat: maxcoldresist ?

I can't wait to get into tweaking around with these, I've been wanting to do something along these lines for a while now. I always wanted to make a scroll or potion that had the same effect as the skill, combat, and defense shrines :)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:07 am

You have right, a typo there. This is what happend when doing copy/paste ;)

Thanx for pointing that out.

seahkt

Post by seahkt » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:52 am

Thanks for the pointer on the permanent stat potion. can't wait to get home to try it. :mrgreen:

Xeniph

Post by Xeniph » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:14 pm

Now THIS has potential. How about magical, or even rare potions, that when drank, give you temporary bonuses? An "angel's potion of the apprentice" anyone? I wonder if it would work... gotta try and see.

Return to “General Mod Making”