[1.10] Collective Skills thread

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: [1.10] Collective Skills thread

Post by Joel » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:06 pm

Well, some state can be "cannibalized" or totally removed.
of course if you want to add stuff to Lod :/ that's another story.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

pmpch
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pmpch » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:16 pm

(I didn't know where else to put this information. So here it is.)

As some may already know, there is a random number function, which can be used in formulas.

rand(min,max)
Last edited by pmpch on Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedevere: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the RABBIT, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!
King Arthur: Who leaps out?

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:04 pm

Something that is driving me insane -> it seems that you cannot give certain aura or passive stats on some skills/states/funcs, for example, i could not make the barbarians increased stamina passive give increased attack rate instead, but it did work when i added increased attack rate onto the increased speed passive

does anyone know how i can find out what skills/states/functions will accept which bonuses? my most current problem has been combining the effects of slow missiles and decrepify for a sort of "slow time" skill. i can make a spell that does one or the other, but not both :(

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:25 pm

:?: :?: strange, I've made stranger combinations ....
Try to see if you give your aura or passivestate the good itemstatcost ID and a length ...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:26 pm

This wasn't a simple "fix" to extend states.txt in 1.10, so this has been change in 1.10s? ;)

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:33 pm

[quote=Joel";p="125344"]
:?: :?: strange, I've made stranger combinations ....
Try to see if you give your aura or passivestate the good itemstatcost ID and a length ...
[/quote]

what do you mean by length, and when you made your combinations was it as simple as pasting a value in the next open aurastat field or did you have to change something specific to make them work together

EDIT: oops turned my brain back on, im sure i've been using good itemstatcost ID's and lengths, but for example if i tell it to give the targets the state "slowmissiles" then only slowmissiles works, if i give them the stat "decrepify" then only decrepify works, and if i make a new state, neither works :( what else might i be doing wrong? i am rather inexperienced at modifying states.txt ....
Last edited by Reverend on Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:45 pm

-> check if the auralength field is not empty, it controls the actual duration for the aura/curse/whatever.

-> for stuff with auratargetstate, if you want a curse that slow enemies and slow their missiles, try to clone the Decrepify Curse. It' already designed to alter various state on the enemies.

Creating state in states.txt is only a matter of defining a flag. A States in states.txt have no effect except telling everyone in which state (obviously) you are. The actual malus/bonus are given the combination of the Server function of the skill (aura/curse etc ..) and the itemstatcost entries used by the skills.

Reverend

Post by Reverend » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:06 am

well i've tried adding skill_handofathena onto decrepify and putting the parameters in the previously blank param7 and 8 fields and i put ln78 in the appropriate aurastatcalc field, but when i cast decrepify, it works normally (no slowing of missiles), i've tryed tacking decrepify stats onto slow missiles, but then the target isnt decrepified when i use it, is there something else i am still missing?

Acromatic Aria
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Acromatic Aria » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:32 am

[quote=kingpin";p="125345"]
This wasn't a simple "fix" to extend states.txt in 1.10, so this has been change in 1.10s? ;)
[/quote]

No, the "simple fix" was just for altering a check that triggered a warning message if states.txt had too manay entries. I have no idea how to actually make the game read beyond state 255 (finding error messages is pretty much the extent of my code editing abilities).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:33 am

54x";p="120710" wrote:My intention for the topic was to have a thread we can point to for general questions about skills- saying 'look in the text files' in a reference thread isn't very helpful :)
I agree with that.

What is also useful is to have the topic as reference to other skill threads (links to different subjects that has been discussed before that are a help when creating new skills/modifying existing ones) and a list of all formulas/functions e.tc. either in the topic or as reference to another topic.

EDIT:

Acromatic Aria:
No, the "simple fix" was just for altering a check that triggered a warning message if states.txt had too manay entries. I have no idea how to actually make the game read beyond state 255 (finding error messages is pretty much the extent of my code editing abilities).
Ok, i was hoping that you had found out a way to extend this table. It wasn't easy to do that in 1.10 (no one that tried succeeded with that).
Last edited by kingpin on Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:16 am

You can't extend the table past 255 because the state ID is a one-byte field.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

adamantine
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by adamantine » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:34 pm

[quote=Reverend";p="125342"]Something that is driving me insane -> it seems that you cannot give certain aura or passive stats on some skills/states/funcs[/quote]

yeah, i've noticed this as well. giving anything more than the current aurastat to sorc cold armours doesn't work, same deal for amazon dodges. removing the state makes nothing for the skill work.

--------------

i just noticed a thing with +elemental skills, thought i'd post it here.

warmth has fire in etype column, so it gets the +fire skills bonus even though it doesn't do any fire damage. so if you wanted say a +passive/hireling skills mod you could give all those skills an etype which isn't used so much, like rand or stun or whatever was possible?

--------------

you can't have more than 255 characters in a formula(includes spaces), not even if you call on another(like typing 200 chars in 3 calc fields, then joining em together), so having synergies from 29 skills(or even much over 10) is impossible.

you could though have each skill increase a new stat, but i'm not sure if that will work with curses/auras since they might affect the target(not you), and passives/state altering skill(or that's what passives are?) seem to be hardcoded what column they'll use(and not use).

i ended up using ulvl for thunder storm.
Last edited by adamantine on Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:06 pm

[quote=adamantine";p="128998"]
you could though have each skill increase a new stat, but i'm not sure if that will work with curses/auras since they might affect the target(not you), and passives/state altering skill(or that's what passives are?) seem to be hardcoded what column they'll use(and not use).

i ended up using ulvl for thunder storm.[/quote]

I added to Might a Str bonus when you wield it, so it can affect stats, on a note decreasing STR can be buggy and if you reduced in 100% the damage and remove your weapon (using then fists) you can't attack anything because you deal no damage at all.

but like I said making a curse that lowers STR/DEX can be very bugged (it works but in a weird way)

as example, if you lowers the str on a character and he can't use an item anymore for the lack of STR he will not remove it unless he did a Weapon Switch/teleport/warped to town by town portal)

for the Etypes... I think you also can use the freeze/stun/burning and the other enemy types like leech life/mana/stamina
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:09 pm

All avaible Etype can be found in Elemtypes.txt.

adamantine
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by adamantine » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:28 am

-----------

quoting Brother Laz :(
there is no way to put an enhanced damage bonus on missiles that are not fired by double throw, strafe or guided arrow
-----------------

a note on synergies: if you rename skills to 2 letter names, you can fit in 14 if you use one multiplier. for example:

(skill('sa'.blvl)+skill('sb'.blvl)+skill('sc'.blvl)+etc)*par8

and you could always give the skill physical damage and have other synergies there, so 28 total, woot :)

yeah, so i edited an old post. i don't want all stickies saying "last edited by adamantine" :(
Last edited by adamantine on Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Forsaken
Paladin

Post by Forsaken » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:50 am

[quote=Vendanna";p="129840"][quote=adamantine";p="128998"]

i ended up using ulvl for thunder storm.[/quote]

I added to Might a Str bonus when you wield it, so it can affect stats, on a note decreasing STR can be buggy and if you reduced in 100% the damage and remove your weapon (using then fists) you can't attack anything because you deal no damage at all.

but like I said making a curse that lowers STR/DEX can be very bugged (it works but in a weird way)

as example, if you lowers the str on a character and he can't use an item anymore for the lack of STR he will not remove it unless he did a Weapon Switch/teleport/warped to town by town portal)

for the Etypes... I think you also can use the freeze/stun/burning and the other enemy types like leech life/mana/stamina[/quote]

directly lowering str and dex sounds kinda dangerous to me, making new stats that affect dex and str in a percentual way perhaps?
Good and evil are relative. Why, does not even the Archangel Tyrael hold up his greedy paw when asked to save a faithful warrior of the light from imminent demise? Next time you meet a Fallen Shaman, ask him what loyalty and brotherhood mean, and all will be clear.

Modding Mercenary for hire, payment in runes.

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:02 am

After doing some skill swapping and rearrangements of skill tabs. I have ran into a bit of trouble all the skill display as they should. But I cannot select any of them to distribute skill points.
Anyone have any insight as to were I may have gone wrong?

And yes Joel :poke:I ran several searches and dug threw many a topic looking for this information before posting ;)
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

The Shadow Has risen!!!! Warped Tiles

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:20 pm

-> search for duplicate entries in skilldesc.txt
-> look if all your skill have InGame set to 1
-> look if you don't have let a prerequisite wher eit shouldn't, ie having an ama skill requiring points in sorc skills (btx that's a neat way to get a skill needing a PARTICULAR item to be used)

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:26 pm

Thanks I found the error (I left an empty row at the bottom of the skills.txt) don’t know how I did that problem to much coffee not enough sleep!
look if you don't have let a prerequisite wher it shouldn't, ie having an ama skill requiring points in sorc skills (btx that's a neat way to get a skill needing a PARTICULAR item to be used)
Thanks for the tip on this as It looks like the way I am going to need to go to force 6 different sorc builds in my mod.

On to the next question. I have a few skills that will not display the points put into them on the skill tab. Some do some don’t were should I look to check for this?

Also how do I set an aura skill to work on a sing character?

This is my beginning stage into skill editing so please bear with the questions :oops:
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:35 pm

[quote=Black Heart";p="135769"]
On to the next question. I have a few skills that will not display the points put into them on the skill tab. Some do some don’t were should I look to check for this?
[/quote]

??? hmmm ??? does it happens AFTER you added a new skill or is it happening anytime ?

[quote=Black Heart";p="135769"]
Also how do I set an aura skill to work on a sing character?
[/quote]
set aurarange to 1 or 0

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:38 pm

I added all my skills at the same time. Example: added leap works fine added might will not display points

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:53 pm

maybe the point get "moved" to the newest skills, it happens and it's perfectly normal
try to get some mo epoint into the old skills to see what happens

PS: I'm on ICQ right now, just messages me :p

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:46 am

As to the results of the exercise in Creating bow mastery skill

Skill.txt

Cloned throw mastery over magic missile.
skill :Bow mastery
Corrected id: 6
Charclass: ama
Skilldesc: Bow mastery
Passivestate:missilemastery
Passiveitype:bow
Passivestat1: passive_mastery_missile_th
Passivestat2: passive_mastery_missile_dmg
Passivestat3: passive_mastery_missile_crit

Itemstatcost.txt

Cloned rows
passive_mastery_throw_th
passive_mastery_throw_dmg
passive_mastery_throw_crit
Renamed
passive_mastery_missile_th
passive_mastery_missile_dmg
passive_mastery_missile_crit
Corrected id in sequence

States.txt

Cloned row
Throwingmaster
Renamed:missilemastery
Corrected id sequence

Skilldesc.txt

Cloned throwing mastery over magic arrow
Changed columns skillpage, skillrow skillcolumn and iconcell to location and icon needed

Results
Skill appears in the game when hovering stats appear

Current skill level 2 (after adding 2 points)
0 percent chance of critical strike

Next level
0 percent chance of critical strike

Nonfunctional skill any ideas?
Last edited by Black Heart on Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:28 pm

quite likely a display error. double check your references and display functions in skilldesc.txt

Cudgel
Location: Sunny So-Cal(Yeah right...a burning hot desert is sunny alright)

Post by Cudgel » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:13 am

I was wondering what one would have to do make an aura that would cast, say werewolf, on every body in the radius?

I have a vauge idea of how to do it ie copy an arua that effects your allies and replace some entiers with the werewolf states adn its effects but I'm really not sure waht entries to change

Return to “General Mod Making”