Making new runewords doesn't work...

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

MrDuplicity

Making new runewords doesn't work...

Post by MrDuplicity » Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:46 am

Everytime I try to make a new runeword Diablo crashes when I load up a character.

I made a new runeword using the 'Blood' runename (that one from early D2X beta, JoBerElUm), since the strings would already be in the table file. I set completed to 1, version to 100, put in my runes, stats and saved. Now everytime I load up any character D2 crashes out.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

MrDuplicity

Post by MrDuplicity » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:35 am

Hmm... well I've noticed that if I take 109d's Runes.txt, open it in Excel, save it without making ANY changes, then run my mod it still crashes. I also noticed that 109d's filesize is 13kb, but when I open it with Excel and save without making a single change, the filesize drops to 7kb. Am I using the wrong save method? Tab-delimited is the way to go, right?

dectgap

Post by dectgap » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:45 am

It is known that editing runes.txt in MS Excel causes problems (I think it has something to do with Excel deleting data).

Try using Notepad (could be a little messy) or D2 Excel (which can be downloaded here at Phrozen Keep).

MrDuplicity

Post by MrDuplicity » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:51 am

Hmm well none of the links on PhrozenKeep work (damn fileplanet...) so I guess I'll give it a shot with Notepad... wish me luck hehe

EDIT: if someone wouldn't mind sending me d2excel over e-mail, I would greatly appreaciate it. my e-mail is mrduplicity@shaw.ca. thanks.
EDIT 2: found d2excel, and it works! yay...now to get my freakin' cube recipe to make a me a socketed weapon... :x
Last edited by MrDuplicity on Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrDuplicity

Post by MrDuplicity » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:10 am

Hmmm I tried with notepad and I'm still getting the same error, but the filesize is fine this time... :?:

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 am

I've uploaded D2Excel here while our File Center is under construction. There's a link to the completed Tools section somewhere in the forum but I'm a little tired to search for it, and I already had this up on the server.

--

ok if you want to use MSExcel for the Runes.txt this is what you should do. (I use MSExcel without hiccup)

open Runes.txt
go to Column AV (the one AFTER T1Max7)
put a space " "
copy and paste it for all the rows (up til Zephyr)
save first and it should work fine after that.

other methods that I heard will work is putting a "0" in all the rows for the T1Max7 column (so the game will recognise the EOF) and I've tried it before too, but presently I'm using the above methoed without problem so just use that one :)

MrDuplicity

Post by MrDuplicity » Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:35 pm

Ah, neato, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm off to bed now. Thanks for the tip :)

DJ Sonic
Paladin

Post by DJ Sonic » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:18 pm

Which .txt files don't work right without d2excel besides runes?
Guess who's back
Back again
Sonic's back
Tell a friend!

Blurred Horizons Mod: 5% Complete (On Hold until Patch 1.10)

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:08 pm

well ppl like D2Excel for runes.txt and that's my sole recommendation. D2Excel gets a little finicky if you try adding lines. But that's just my opinion, don't let it stop you from using the prog, just let me dissuade you if you already have MSExcel and are willing to make an extra step for runes.txt (and you'll have to make sure that your last column for the txts is filled (usually with '0's or some other value.)

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm

DJ Sonic" wrote:Which .txt files don't work right without d2excel besides runes?
Any txt file that doesn't have its last column already filled in.

MS Excel tends to gobble trailing tabs. But these files are not really text files, they are database files: each row is a record and each column a field. A record is not complete without all of its fields, whether filled or not. The field delimiters are tabs, so missing tabs equates to missing fields. D2Common checks these things when the game loads up, which is why you always get that sym==EOL error on a bad file when starting a game.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “General Mod Making”