Suggest A Tutorial

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

100%

Total votes: 1

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Suggest A Tutorial

Post by Necrolis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

agIDi" wrote:How to add new button to NPC like talk and trade.
I think CE is needed :S
Greetings ^^
requires a hell of a lot of CE to have it working correctly
cotss2012" wrote:
Necrolis" wrote:this tutorial is already in the knowledge base, please serach before you post requsts for tutorials already in existance
Really? Where?
tried looking under Unit Mechanics?
agIDi" wrote:Thx, but i wrote it wrong, i ment state not stat :D
you can't create permanent states, only ones that last till you die or save & exit, just copy the mana/hp potion row to have a state adding potion(see the misc.txt fileguide as well)
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

cotss2012

Post by cotss2012 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Necrolis" wrote:
cotss2012" wrote:
Necrolis" wrote:this tutorial is already in the knowledge base, please serach before you post requsts for tutorials already in existance
Really? Where?
tried looking under Unit Mechanics?
Of course, smartass. Only three tutorials there looked like they might be even slightly relevant - "How To Make Player Specific Hirelings", "New Ranged/MonsterHirelings", and "New Hirelings" - but they only demonstrate how to make slightly modified versions of existing merc types.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:31 am

Of course, smartass. Only three tutorials there looked like they might be even slightly relevant - "How To Make Player Specific Hirelings", "New Ranged/MonsterHirelings", and "New Hirelings" - but they only demonstrate how to make slightly modified versions of existing merc types.
Don't be rude to those who help you. That will get you nowhere here.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 am

those 4 tutorials cover everything you could possibly do with hirelings, add in the fileguide(hirelings.txt, plus you can apply the over unit tutorials and fileguides for monstats to this as well) and that covers every single softcoded aspect of hirelings, anything more starts requiring a heck of a lot of code editing, the tuturials aren't meant to spoon feed, they demonstrate the basics, so a modder can take them, grab the fileguides and go(along with a lot of trial and error)...
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

cotss2012

Post by cotss2012 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm

kingpin" wrote: Don't be rude to those who help you.
I'll keep that in mind if Necrolis ever helps me in this thread.
Necrolis" wrote:those 4 tutorials
"How To Make Player Specific Hirelings" - 27 Jan 2005
"New Ranged/MonsterHirelings (by inhalantnut)" - 19 Aug 2004
"New Hirelings (by RagnarokES)" - 19 Aug 2004

I only count three. A fourth one discusses turning hirelings into werewolves, but I didn't mention it earlier because it didn't fit the category of "looked like they might be even slightly relevant".
Necrolis" wrote:cover everything you could possibly do with hirelings
So "everything you could possibly do with hirelings" is restricted to making a them look like something they're not, turning them into a werewolf/bear, and changing what skills they use? I find that highly dubious. However, if I'm missing something and you can point me in the direction of the tutorial that explains how to alter Act II mercs to use scepters and Paladin-only shields, then I shall apologize.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 am

well, I had no idea you hadn't passed grade school yet, let me dumb it down for you:

the monster base types are hardcoded, so you must alter the current images, turning the character components into monster images is a mission, so this tutorial shows us how to change thier appearance to that of a character with minimal effort and allows us to reuse a base type if you turn the state into a passive and add it in hirelings.txt.

short intermission so you can change you diaper...

ok next part, items, they are hardcoded, so nothing you can do(unless you want to spend the next 3 weeks redoing all the bases items so that the current hardcoded ones can become the items you want, but that item mechanics, which you'd use the itemtypes.txt and misc/armor/weapons.txt fileguides for). the same goes for making bards dual wield. if you want to introduce code edits, you need mercmod, but thats buggy and allows every hireling to equip a shield, but that would just allow setting the types as per the plugins readme(so that doesn't need a tutorial)

need another potty break, or are you good?

skills, lets see about them skills, the hireling.txt fileguide and this tutorial or this tutorial(if you don't want melee only) show us how to add(and make) new skills to hirelings and set thier chances, level. but if one doesn't want to edit a current hireling, we can always make a new type, as show by this tutorial, ofc you still have to stick to the 4 base hireling types as the are hardcoded. ofc also can't go really indepth on skills as these are hireling tutorials, not skill tutorials for which one would use the skills.txt fileguide and the various accompanying resources

oh, would you look at that! all four tutorials and the fileguide, covering everything thats not hardcoded, so now pipe down little one, when you can peer over the dinner table, you see how naive you once where, though that will only happen in a few years

agIDi

Post by agIDi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Lol, PWNT xD

BTW
I can't find tutorial, that explanes how the objects in winds1 editor work. Like the portal in 1 level to portal in the same ( like arcane )
^^
If you don't like it, mod it xD

cotss2012

Post by cotss2012 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Haha, that's amusing. My jabs at you were mostly on-topic, subtle, and clever, and yours were just off-topic, immature insults for the sake of being insulting, a response typically spewed forth by Mighty Keyboard Warriors who know they're on the losing end of an argument.

Let's recap the discussion so far...
cotss2012" wrote:But why settle for just editing the skills and using the character class images? I would settle for nothing less than making them full-blown classes, so Necro mercs could use shrunken heads, Assassin mercs could use claws, etc...
Necrolis" wrote:this tutorial is already in the knowledge base
cotss2012" wrote:point me in the direction of the tutorial that explains how to alter Act II mercs to use scepters and Paladin-only shields
Necrolis" wrote:items, they are hardcoded, so nothing you can do
So in other words, you have contradicted your original assertion that there was a tutorial that would explain how to make the changes that I described.

:cool:

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:38 pm

There aren't really any tutorials by way of objects(iirc there is a basic one on pauls site), the preset objects/units tutorial should be of assistance though, but there isn't anything on the pads, for that you'll have to create by trail and error using various posts around the forum as references etc. It might also help you if you made a sandbox level just for testing and imported some of the arcane sanctuary tile blocks with the pads on them(the ds1 edit readme explains importing etc)

Arson

Post by Arson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:48 pm

How do I change the "x was slain by x"
And the join and leave messages and all that stuff

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Post by kidpaddle94 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 am

you will find this in string.tbl

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:34 am

This isn't the appropriate place for that type of question, plus you already have a topic for it, so please avoid spamming multiple places with the same question

KDawg08

Post by KDawg08 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:45 am

A Tutorial on items such as the item you start with in the Nez MOD in the unsupported mods section.

It's basically an item (small charm) that auto updates with your total kills, total x-item found, and so on and so forth, for example...

Item Name: Item of Updating
127 Kills.
29 Full Rejuvenations found.
17 Shrines used.

Keep this item in your inventory for the stats to increase.

To add to it maybe set it like... as a starter item, and you can't CREATE any of this item, CANNOT SELL and you cannot find them on monsters/corpses/chests. Maybe even so that if u throw it on the ground, it auto shows up in your inventory again next game as it would be considered a needed item (Just like mephs soulstone in A4 when talking to cain)

MrOzturq

Post by MrOzturq » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 am

KDawg08" wrote:A Tutorial on items such as the item you start with in the Nez MOD in the unsupported mods section.

It's basically an item (small charm) that auto updates with your total kills, total x-item found, and so on and so forth, for example...

Item Name: Item of Updating
127 Kills.
29 Full Rejuvenations found.
17 Shrines used.

Keep this item in your inventory for the stats to increase.
Looking for the same thing but i think that it needs adv coding.
But this part is easy :
"To add to it maybe set it like... as a starter item, and you can't CREATE any of this item, CANNOT SELL and you cannot find them on monsters/corpses/chests."

Just add the item code to charstats.txt.
And you can controll the item properties (Like you said cant be bought or sold) from Misc.txt
And the last one. If you want that item never drop from any monsters, just dont touch TreasureClassEx.txt :D

Oh, someone already make that:
https://d2mods.info/index.php?ind=galle ... ow&ida=332

Done!
http://modsbywhist.49.forumer.com/viewt ... f=49&t=204

EDIT:

have merged your posts, plz update your post rather then post multiple replies -Kingpin
QUANTUM
Ameteur Modding

Thanks to Paul Siramy, Brother Laz, Sir_General, Trevor and the other modders for their awesome jobs.

And thanks to kingpin for being a good admin.

Rudsever

Post by Rudsever » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 am

Hi, could someone make a video or picture step by step tutorial "How to change font in Diablo 2" ?
The meaning of life is bucket...
Diablo 2 Perfect Drop Mod ;)
Download
Version BETA of my new mod for patch 1.13 (Polish version)

distributer

Post by distributer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

It would be nice to have every original txt file available online for each version but at least the latest one (1.13) to view in a browser :)

For example:
http://code.google.com/p/d2spe/source/b ... s.txt?r=20
You don't need MS Excel or any other proprietary software to view it, it is easily searchable and read only. In case you messed something up as a reference or if you just want to see how something got solved original.

//edit: something like this: http://code.google.com/p/diablo-2-lod/s ... al%2Fexcel
Those are vanilla files...

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:36 am

distributer" wrote:It would be nice to have every original txt file available online for each version but at least the latest one (1.13) to view in a browser :)

For example:
You don't need MS Excel or any other proprietary software to view it, it is easily searchable and read only. In case you messed something up as a reference or if you just want to see how something got solved original.

//edit: something like this: http://code.google.com/p/diablo-2-lod/s ... al%2Fexcel
I'm was working on something to display google doc sheets directly in posts/kb articles, when I get time this might be converted into a phpbb plugin so its a little easier to embedded tables into posts, no promises though (if it affects forum stability, its out...)

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Necrolis" wrote:
distributer" wrote:It would be nice to have every original txt file available online for each version but at least the latest one (1.13) to view in a browser :)

For example:

I'm was working on something to display google doc sheets directly in posts/kb articles, when I get time this might be converted into a phpbb plugin so its a little easier to embedded tables into posts, no promises though (if it affects forum stability, its out...)
I know that im resurrecting a very old topic (Its sticky tho...). But this idea was very nice and so bad to be forgotten. Maybe we can make an online documents database to quickly access text files. I have some free time, i can help you guys.
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

bebuchoo

Post by bebuchoo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Hello everyone!

I am a complete newb in terms of mod making. I tried to look for such tutorial, but I didn't find anything like this. I am not sure if this can be done in already existing mods due to my coding disability and no knowledge on it, whatsoever.

I have played dozens of D2 mods and everytime I see one with original inventory size, it really hurts. Usually, I end up running to town and selling items more than playing the game - item hunting.

So my question is:
Could we have a tutorial on how to increase inventory size in already existing mods? I understand it would be against mod-creator, but I would like to use it only for my own purposes (just to make the game more enjoyable). Running back to town when you find 2/3 more items just isn't that fun.

Thank you in advance!

Return to “General Mod Making”