Txt File Limits

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

100%

Total votes: 4

phill

Re: Txt File Limits

Post by phill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for the clarification, Aught!

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:54 pm

Additional notes on txt file limits:

Skills.txt supports only the first 1024 rows for ctc-skills, any past that will overroll.
Skills.txt supports only the first 4096 rows for hotkeys, any hotkeyed skills past that will lose their hotkeys when you start a new game.

Automagic.txt: 65536 rows, but realistically less since it seems that magicprefix.txt and magicsuffix.txt take off the top
Charstats.txt: 65536 rows
Properties.txt: At least 67291 rows, didn't test further than that

OrderOfTheScribble
United States of America

Post by OrderOfTheScribble » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Interesting finds, but what's the use of extra rows in CharStats.txt if it's impossible to add classes (which is what I've read)?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:19 pm

That charstats.txt is almost useless to expand is exactly why it is so useful to expand. StrAllSkills displays even if the character does not exist, so you can use a stat like item_addclassskills to display any string you want. Or more likely, you'd make a new stat that uses the same descfunc=13, with minimum save bits (since the stat value is meaningless, it's just a descriptor) and 16 param bits so you can access every parameter value/row of charstats. I believe mods typically make use of misc.txt or monstats.txt to do the same, and the rows in those files are much more useful. But I suppose either way, it's unlikely anyone would run out of space in those txt files.

Nagahaku
Paladin

Post by Nagahaku » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:41 pm

Cypress wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:19 pm
you can use a stat like item_addclassskills to display any string you want
Hmm... How would that work? descfunc=13 seems to be ' + (value) to (class) skills', if i modify this string in the tbl document, the original 'item_addclassskills' stat would also be changed...
anyway to bypass this in properties.txt? maybe similar as the 'elem skills' in modwork?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:33 am

Hi Nagahaku, Descfunc=13's true form is "+X (StrAllSkills)" or "(StrAllSkills) +X". Descval=0 doesn't work here unfortunately, so the value will always show.

Return to “General Mod Making”