Skelletons and golems get lost - is there a workaround ?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Skelletons and golems get lost - is there a workaround ?

Post by Nefarius » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:00 am

Yes, there is no way w/o CE to do this, the icons are set in such a way that they get allocated to the hireling units in monstats.txt, how exactly the game does this is unknown. And doing so will not be something simple, the line probably reflects countless different code locations, which you would all have to find, clone and link to the new row.

Though try to add your summons below the last hireling row. (I.E. clone the necroskeletons and put the clones at the end of monstats.txt), if the game uses the hcIdx value it may then pick icon #5, albeit I am rather uncertain about this. (It probably will not work).
Last edited by Nefarius on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:56 am

Ok you are telling me that the different rows in "pettype.txt" are handled completely different by the game?

Then why should they be in the same table? I am confused :scratchhead:

Good thing u knew that... damn, i never thought such an "easy" task could cause so much trouble!

By the way: Do you know how the game identifies the lines? I mean how does the game know, that it has to treat the info in "hirelings" row in a special way? Is it determined by pettype column or idx column? Or maybe the absolute row number in the file? And would that also mean, that if i change the Pettype/ID/Rownumber of my "hireable" entry in "pettypes.txt" but adjust all other entries in the remaining "*.txt" files to match the modified "hireling" entry, it could still mess up my hirleings in game?

Man that really sux...
  • WISHLIST FOR DIABLO 3 :

1. A DiabloEditor.exe included... like StarEdit.exe for Starcraft... to easyly make awsome maps and self-written AIs and all the other stuff around the game.
i'm sure this would make the number of sold Diablo 3 games skyrocket to infinity.
Last edited by Zhadoom on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Diqblo2 player:)
Life is a sh!tty game..... but the graphic is excellent!!

By the way, anyone recognized the inscription of the Diablo 2 Battle Chest (English V) that says: << DIABLO 2 - Kiss your social life 'good bye' >> ? There is much more truth in this sentence than you may think ;)

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 pm

All harcoded references are identified either by code (items) or by line# (internal ID) (also baseID for monstats at times, which refers to the line# of the baseID so its not really an exception)

The internal ID is row#-1 (-header column), it starts at 0. Note that the textual ID's in the files can be different, the game still accesses them by locating inside the table.

There are many things that are hardcoded, a lot of skills use hardcoded references (such as Holy Shield, almost all curses, auras <- the last two are not hardcoded in common sense, but the game has internal tables dealing with them, such as the boss_aura table and the mon_curse_cast table etc)

The function of the lines is not different in pettypes, just that the other rows have little else then graphical and summon-group functions. - For the game a hireling is not much else then a summon unit wise (a monster unit).

The following types of units exist.

Character (0)
Monster (1) (everything in monstats.txt)
Object (2) (everything in objects.txt)
Missile (3) (everything in missiles.txt)
Item (4) (everything in items.txt == weapons/armor/misc which are one big txt file internally)
tile (5)
Last edited by Nefarius on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

rewable

Post by rewable » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:55 am

Are there any new discoveries?

Return to “General Mod Making”