This may be of interest to someone.

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

No votes

Total votes: 0

Hoob

This may be of interest to someone.

Post by Hoob » Sun May 28, 2006 4:56 pm

If you set the minmana for a skill higher than the other columns would give it, for example a minmana of 4 on a hitshift skill of 8 with a mana cost of 2, then the skill will use 4 mana, unless you don't have 4 but do have at least 2 in which case it will use 2 instead. Now with those numbers it doesn't mean much, but with higher numbers you could design a skill that quickly drains mana, but is still usable at low mana. It would however limit your ability to use other skills, due to the high mana drain. I discovered this by accident, no idea if it's already known or not.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon May 29, 2006 6:27 am

hmmm. interesting, the "minmana" does not really what its says it does then :P. however, I guess this is of limited use since you would need an excessive explanation for this behaviour then (people will otherwise probably complain that your skill is broken).

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon May 29, 2006 10:24 am

This is actually more useful than one would think. 'Drains All Mana' anyone? :mrgreen:
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: This may be of interest to someone.

Post by mishy23 » Mon May 29, 2006 12:24 pm

Very useful info indeed, this is the first post that got me thinking of new ideas in a few weeks, thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking similiar to Laz,
Spell uses all mana (with maximum of 100)

Could really design a small mod around a naturally fast mana regen,
coupled with high mana costing spells, with the built in 1 minimum,
then have all spells synergize off of current mana value.

AKA
gotta build up that power for higher damage, or spam for little damage.
For some reason I feel someone is gonna get a bad DBZ idea out of this...

Well I was at a standstill on my own stuff, maybe i'll see what I can do and release a mini mod.

-mishy23
{Modding status: Project X}

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon May 29, 2006 1:16 pm

hmmm, maybe i misunderstood something... the way i understood it is:

mana/cast 10
minmana 1000

-> if you have more than 1000 mana, you will loose 1000 mana. if you have 400 mana for example, you will only loose 10. if it works as you described, and you will loose any mana up to 1000, its really a great discovery though :).

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Mon May 29, 2006 5:52 pm

I discovered this by accident. I was attempting to make vengence have a lower mana cost, so I lowered the hitshift so the mana would be 1, but not the min mana (still 4). Since I had low mana and no mana leech, my mana drained fast when using the skill. But once it bottomed out, the skill did not red out (most of the time, 1 mana is still a lot when you have under 100), I still saw the elemental damage overlays, and was still able to kill a physical immune unit without any other source of non physical damage, which just to be sure I zealed another physical immune unit and nothing happened. I did not realize why this was the case until I looked at my settings for the skill though.

I'm very surprised I was right about it being useful and not already known though. Guess I just got lucky. :mrgreen:

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Mon May 29, 2006 9:06 pm

hitshift
I believe you meant manashift, hitshift controls damage.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Mon May 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Heh, you are correct nefarius. I knew my error prone nature would kick in eventually... :mrgreen:

Return to “General Mod Making”