Vitality requirement on runeword (not base items), possible?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

No votes

Total votes: 0

Hoob

Vitality requirement on runeword (not base items), possible?

Post by Hoob » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:33 pm

Trying to fix a certain bug, but don't even have a vague idea of what direction to look in. :P

Anson
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Vitality requirement on runeword (not base items), possi

Post by Anson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Erm... CE ?!

This seems to be kind of CE thingy. ;)

snowknight
Champion of the Light

Post by snowknight » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Hoob";p="278339" wrote:Trying to fix a certain bug, but don't even have a vague idea of what direction to look in. :P
Oh right the gmerc bug (I saw the thread in the basin). I'm assuming that trying to prevent the double aura situation isn't available as a solution.

Vitality requirements of any kind requires CE to accomplish. I recall Myhrginoc posted some related code in the CE forum. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here's the thread I was talking about.
Last edited by snowknight on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:12 pm

Well, if all else fails I could do that, however if I do I might as well remove the entire runeword because none of my players will use those runewords on their characters if they cannot use 2 of the same aura for a higher lvl, giving the higher (combined) lvl to 1 item would make it too strong even if the runeword required something like zod cham jah ber, and none of my players would use the item itself if it were not for the aura, because on a pure stat basis those runewords are NOT very good compared to the existing options available to my players, it's the aura that makes it "fun" enough to not be a straight stat comparison.

In any case I will have a look, my best guess on how it would work is giving the runeword a stat, that makes it require 1 or more vitality to equip. But that is pure theorycraft.

Edit: I had a look into it, and it seems to be simple, just requires scrapping dex requirements to make room. Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to fix one bug, and it would break 10 things at the same time it is fixing one. Suffice it to say reducing the need for dex would be a very bad idea, as it would make casters even stronger. Also, the topic implied the requirements were being added to the item itself, and not as a mod ON the item.
Last edited by Hoob on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:07 am

hmmm. do you just need to prevent your mercs to use the item?

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Yes, all reports indicate players cannot use it in that manner so as long as mercs cannot use it at all it is safe.

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:09 pm

Tsuru made a way for merc only items... it had -500 vitality on it. So maybe you could have +500 vit , and -(however many HP you get from 500 vit) as well. Mercs get lowered to 1HP, players are fine.
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 pm

The full details on tsuru's technique are here. It is a slick method, I have used it in TFW as well.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:31 pm

Myhrginoc";p="278652" wrote:The full details on tsuru's technique are here. It is a slick method, I have used it in TFW as well.
You can also hook into the requirement function that checks str/dex and add a check for unitType if a certain stat is present on the item.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:10 pm

Tsuru made a way for merc only items... it had -500 vitality on it. So maybe you could have +500 vit , and -(however many HP you get from 500 vit) as well. Mercs get lowered to 1HP, players are fine.
An excellent idea, but not everyone gets the same amount of life per vita. Regardless of whether I choose 2, 3, or 4 for the baseline there will be severe unwanted side effects, Also if the merc is 1 shotting everything in a 3 screen radius there won't be anything around to do 1 damage to that merc. :P
You can also hook into the requirement function that checks str/dex and add a check for unitType if a certain stat is present on the item.
Interesting, but as code editing is not my area of expertise care to elaborate?

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:15 am

Set the negative vitality with the largest value you can have in ordinary vitality. Since HP is zero-protected in 1.10+, if you end up with massive negative vitality overall, you still have 1 hp.
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Hoob

Post by Hoob » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:23 am

I'm confused, If positive vit doesn't effect mercs, why would negative vit? And what would be the purpose of making the vit penalty player only when the problem is merc only?

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:17 am

Hmmm, here is a solution without the funny vit stuff....

1. go to hireling.txt and add a passive stat to all hirelings called dummy_hireling, which does nothing (add it to itemstatcost.txt as well)
2. go to itemstatcost.txt and make a stat that, based on the dummy_hireling stat, reduces the hitpoints / damage / str / dex / whatever.
3. issue that stat to all your non-merc items in excessive amounts. your hirelings will maybe be able to equip it, but be left with 1 HP, no str and no dex

if you are lucky, it might even be that they cannot equip it cause they would have 1 or 0 strength with wearing it, but it requires more.
maybe you can also increase the requirements a LOT with this technique, which would have the same effect.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:36 am

Hoob" wrote:I'm confused, If positive vit doesn't effect mercs, why would negative vit? And what would be the purpose of making the vit penalty player only when the problem is merc only?
Sorry, I was thinking of merc-only items and items that cannot be doubled-up on the same player.
~ Mark Twain

Return to “General Mod Making”