Fire field skill

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Kiahdaj
Champion of the Light

Fire field skill

Post by Kiahdaj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:49 am

I want to make a skill that's like a fire field, where everything within a certain range of where I clicked, is periodically harmed. I am not positive how to go about doing this. With my miniscule experience with skill making, my only idea would be to make a "sentry" type thing (invisible) that will emit an extremely fast moving invisible nova every so often. Is there a better way to do that? Also, would I be able to give the field a red light radius?

Thanks

Wopsh

Re: Fire field skill

Post by Wopsh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 am

In Skills.txt
Base it on Shock Feild. You will change its missile entries to a new missile you will make. Beyond that your on your own! :mrgreen:
In Missiles.txt
Copy "shock field in air" to a new row and change its name to something new. Change the ID column. Change the Hit submissile and client submissile columns to the name you use in the next step.

Copy "shock field on ground" to a new row and change its name to something new. Change the ID column. Change the celfile to column to some fire thing maybe "groundFire Small". Change AnimLen to 37. Lower the numbers in the "blue" and "green" columns to make the radius red. Change the skill column to your skill.

If it is mostly working change sounds, descriptions, ect.

Kiahdaj
Champion of the Light

Post by Kiahdaj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm

I guess you must have misunderstood me, sorry if I didn't explain myself properly...
Well, there won't actually be any fire. There isn't any graphic to the skill at all. The only way to know it is there is by the red light radius. Everything within it would be damaged every 3 or so seconds.
Sorry for not being clear enough.

Wopsh

Post by Wopsh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 am

You could always set the field on ground to "null" in the cell file column.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

Basically, you can hide the visual effects with several strategies.
The simplest is to use a null graphic missile. The damage occurs regardless of the missile appearance. More complex ones would involve skill functions.

Check missiles.txt fileguide.

To do damage every 3 seconds...
Well I am not very versed into making skills, but I think a tweaked blizzard could do the trick if you set the frequency low enough..

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 am

You can use the tornado missile for this effect.

Or, you can use a frozenorb missile that emits bomb on ground missiles. Both methods accomplish the same goal.

Use the meteor skill function (it allows you to place this where you click), and attach 1 of these 2 missiles to it (your choice of which one you prefer). Make sure your missiles have no velocity. Range is how long your missile will stay out to do damage.

The damage frequency controls how often damage is dealt in 25ths. 1 is 25 times a second, 2 is 12.5 times a second, and so on and so forth. It's basically 25/x (where x is your frequency number). Radius is how far it will spread damage. If u want this controlled by the skill keep these at 0 and use the skill's aurarng column to control it.

And I assume you know how to do the rest. Any questions, ask me (I have a skill in my mod that does this and works)
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

Return to “General Mod Making”