Skills.txt ItemEffect and ItemCltEffect what they really do

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Skills.txt ItemEffect and ItemCltEffect what they really do

Post by kingpin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 pm

I find out today what skills.txt ItemEffect and ItemCltEffect really do, while extend some hardcoded skill related tables.

I have seen some explanations to it, but none seems to catch the real function behind it. We all have been knowing this is using own functions to handle the itemproc skills.

Now, this isn't any special coded functions for itemprocs as I think most have thought over the years, this include myself.

Instead ItemEffect is same using same funcs as srvdofunc and ItemCltEffect same as cltDoFunc. What does this means?

As most knows some skills is broken then try to use it on itemprocs, as example bonearmor.

If you want this to work properly on itemproc you need to change ItemEffect to 18 (as that func handles the server part of the skill).

Be aware that some itemEffect have been coded special for itemEffect like nova. You should be able to use the regular nova function probably (didn't try that). But, as we have a special coded func for it, it's no reason to change it.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Re: Skills.txt ItemEffect and ItemCltEffect what they really do

Post by kidpaddle94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Re: Skills.txt ItemEffect and ItemCltEffect what they really do

Post by Demon9ne » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 pm

kidpaddle94" wrote:viewtopic.php?f=122&t=47934
This topic is relevant, as is the File Guide, as usual.

However, Kingpin's post here serves as a definitive confirmation that the ItemEffect field uses the same functions as the SrvDoFunc field (and the same for ItemCltEffect/CltDoFunc). Additionally, Kingpin has provided an example.

I've tested it. It works. It's useful.

Return to “General Mod Making”