what is the max lvl for hit-skills ?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

fernsehen123
Germany

what is the max lvl for hit-skills ?

Post by fernsehen123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 pm

hi,

i am implementing an item with hit-skill : charged bolt
it is supposed to do a good amount of damage - even in hell

can I put the lvl to something like 200 ?? or is there a maximum somewhere?

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Re: what is the max lvl for hit-skills ?

Post by gcc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 pm

The max skill lvl for skills on hit, kill, attack, etc is 63.
To increase damage without changing the original skill, you could clone the skill, increase the damage of the new skill and then add this new skill to the item. Or you add a synergy stat to the item which increases charged bolt damage by xx%.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:41 pm

gcc wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:51 pm
okay, thanks!
and what is the max lvl for normal skills?
can I get lvl 580 fireball, if I implement items giving enough +skills ?

background: I want to make bad spells become good (if you have the right items to play them)
to get a decent telekinesis damage, I would have to go into real, real big levels or change the dmg from the spell itself
i wonder if I should do this, because originally I wanted to change as few as possible
gcc wrote:
To increase damage without changing the original skill, you could clone the skill, increase the damage of the new skill and then add this new skill to the item. Or you add a synergy stat to the item which increases charged bolt damage by xx%.
cool, I guess I will do something like that
I wonder if there is something like that in the game already, so I can understand how this works with the synergy stat that increases the dmg of a certain spell

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Basically you can get ridiculous skill levels, but this won't make much sense since a lvl 580 fireball requires so much mana that it most probably cannot be used at all.
To make weak skills stronger, it's better to edit their stats. For example adding a 5% spell dmg per unit lvl synergy will allow weak skills to improve as the player gains levels.

This is not even hard to do - simply add "ulvl*5" to the synergy columns in skills.txt - but keep in mind that skills can easily become overpowered this way so make sure you test them.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:43 am

gcc wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 pm
Basically you can get ridiculous skill levels, but this won't make much sense since a lvl 580 fireball requires so much mana that it most probably cannot be used at all.
To make weak skills stronger, it's better to edit their stats. For example adding a 5% spell dmg per unit lvl synergy will allow weak skills to improve as the player gains levels.

This is not even hard to do - simply add "ulvl*5" to the synergy columns in skills.txt - but keep in mind that skills can easily become overpowered this way so make sure you test them.
okay thanks, this really helps!

but leads to another question:

how should I test my mod?
can I easily see if all my items are in place as they should be...? should i download the hero editor and play around with this stuff?
or just make a lvl 1 test sorc and play for the next 2 months? :D

maybe there are some common test strategies that you can share :?: ;)

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:15 pm

How can I put an item with a skill + synergy ??

for example I want to give the wearer of the full set "xArcanna's Tricks"
- Teleport lvl 100
- Energy Shield lvl 11
- Synergy for ES (Telekinesis lvl 20)

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi all,

i have a new questions about this topic (and I used the search function but did not find an answer)

are on hit skills affected by synergies?

example:

my item has 10% chance to cast lvl 28 blizzard

when I have +%cold dmg, will dmg increase?
when i have cold pierce, will it work?
when i play sorc and have the blizz synergies maxed, will dmg increase?
when i play another char with oskill blizz snyergies, will dmg increase?

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes, the following things are affected by spell damage from items or skills and by resist pierce:
- any skill casted actively by the character
- any skill casted from an item
- auras from equipped items
- elemental damage for melee attacks (enchant + fire mastery can lead to extremely high damage)

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi gcc,
gcc wrote:
This is what I want to do now.
Can you give me an example how to increase charged bolt dmg by 100% on my Hotspur unique?

edit: actually I can think of a way to achieve this:
I could implement a new skill which is a synergy to charged bolt. which means I put for example CBOLTSYN with oskill +100 on hotspur.
then I go into charged bold skills.txt line an look up this:

(skill('Lightning'.blvl))*par8

and change it to :

(skill('Lightning'.blvl))*par8 + (skill('CBOLTSYN'.lvl))

is this right?

notice the difference between ".lvl" and ".blvl".
i guess that blvl is the base lvl and .blvl will count all +skills and oskills?
so I would have like +110% cbolt dmg on hotspur - which is fine for me - when the char has +10 to all skills

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Create a new entry in itemstatost.txt (let's call it "chargedboltsyn" which can store at least a value of 100. Then create a new property in properties.txt which is linked to this itemstatcost.txt entry. In skills.txt simply put some calculation with the "chargedboltsyn" stat in the synergy column.

For example the synergy could look like this:
(skill('Lightning'.blvl))*par8 + stat('chargedboltsyn'.accr)

I do not suggest to use things like "skill('CBOLTSYN'.lvl)" for this purpose since the amount of skills useable on items is limited, and skill levels are increased by the allskills stat. The allskills stat easily gets way more powerful than it already is.

blvl is base skill level, so t does not count any bonus coming from items.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 pm

gcc wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Create a new entry in itemstatost.txt (let's call it "chargedboltsyn" which can store at least a value of 100. Then create a new property in properties.txt which is linked to this itemstatcost.txt entry. In skills.txt simply put some calculation with the "chargedboltsyn" stat in the synergy column.

For example the synergy could look like this:
(skill('Lightning'.blvl))*par8 + stat('chargedboltsyn'.accr)

I do not suggest to use things like "skill('CBOLTSYN'.lvl)" for this purpose since the amount of skills useable on items is limited, and skill levels are increased by the allskills stat. The allskills stat easily gets way more powerful than it already is.

blvl is base skill level, so t does not count any bonus coming from items.
okay, let us pretend that i was {filtered} stupid.
how do I do this ??

ItemStatCost.txt :

do I need any other value here?
how can I make it "store at least a value of 100" ??

shall I set Divide to 1024 ?

Properties.txt :

anything missing here?
or is this enough to make it work?

Skills.txt :

looks easy, because you typed everything out...
but what does this ".accr" mean?

and where does this stat() function refer to?
why do I have to go this longer way and not put only 1 value in Properies OR ItemStatCost? I assume that this would not work...?

and I wonder how this would look like on an item...

this would make it spawn with +100 to "chargedbolysyn" ?
Can I make it look like "Charged Bolt Damage increases by 100%" ? Maybe with a patchstring.tbl entry?

And in the skill tree (ingame) everything would look normal ? nobody could foresee that there is such a synergy on an item? (unless he/she finds it or searches the MPQ file I provide...)

Thanks and best regards :D
Patrick

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Simply leave divide at 1024. Use add / multiply to increase item value if you want to do that.

The difference between properties.txt and itemstatcost.txt is that properties.txt is used to add modifiers to items in an more conventient way - automagic attributes, rare items, uniques, sets, runes - while itemstatcost.txt is used to actually save and use the stats in skills.txt, misc.txt, and in different parts of the game. Each properties.txt entry is linked to one or more itemstatcost.txt entries.

For example, "dmg-fire" in properties.txt links to "firemindam" and "firemaxdam" in itemstatcost.txt - if you remove the link, "dmg-fire" will no more work on items while "firemaxdam" added by a skill will still work. Another example is "all-stats" which adds the same value to dexterity, strength, vitality and energy. You could also do a "enr-dex-vit" property which does the same except for strength. You could also change the property to that it does not add the same value to all attributes, but randomizes each attribute instead.

To make this stat visible on items, you have to use the string columns in itemstatcost.txt - simply copy another entry from a property that looks almost the same ("+x% to fire spell dmg" for example),and then change the string name, which refers to an entry in patchstring.tbl

On the skill tree everything will look normal, but when griffons eye gets equipped, charged bolt damage will massively increase.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 pm

gcc wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:16 pm
Simply leave divide at 1024. Use add / multiply to increase item value if you want to do that.

The difference between properties.txt and itemstatcost.txt is that properties.txt is used to add modifiers to items in an more conventient way - automagic attributes, rare items, uniques, sets, runes - while itemstatcost.txt is used to actually save and use the stats in skills.txt, misc.txt, and in different parts of the game. Each properties.txt entry is linked to one or more itemstatcost.txt entries.

For example, "dmg-fire" in properties.txt links to "firemindam" and "firemaxdam" in itemstatcost.txt - if you remove the link, "dmg-fire" will no more work on items while "firemaxdam" added by a skill will still work. Another example is "all-stats" which adds the same value to dexterity, strength, vitality and energy. You could also do a "enr-dex-vit" property which does the same except for strength. You could also change the property to that it does not add the same value to all attributes, but randomizes each attribute instead.

To make this stat visible on items, you have to use the string columns in itemstatcost.txt - simply copy another entry from a property that looks almost the same ("+x% to fire spell dmg" for example),and then change the string name, which refers to an entry in patchstring.tbl

On the skill tree everything will look normal, but when griffons eye gets equipped, charged bolt damage will massively increase.
sounds good. i will try all that. thanks a lot !

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 pm

do you think that I can also add an item stat like "increase charge bolt dmg by 500" ??

or another example:

"increase dire wolves HP by 1200 and dmg by 200"

so those wolves could be helpful without that the char is forced to focus +skills on the summon skilltab....

gcc
Paladin
Austria

Post by gcc » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Sure you can - but increasing by a fixed value is harder than increasing by a percentage since the synergy columns will always apply percentages. But with the right formula it should work, enjoy figuring out the correct formula :D

Increasing minion dmg / hp / other stats by fixed amounts is much easier since you can directly apply stats to minions using aurastat fields or sumskills.
However, I suggest that you use more generic item stats for minions since +skills is basically the only way to improve them in vanilla D2 and that is not good. Summoners are massively overpowered on normal and nightmare, but on hell the only chance to improve their summons is using items with +skills.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:53 pm

I think that the Spirit Wolves will be the casual and always good pets in my mod.

can I increase their dmg like this?

PS. i did not really understand what this ".accr" is for... does this refer to Properties.txt ?

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:37 pm

can I put such formulas also into the MonStats.txt ??

ps. why do they have 2 different HP columns? :>
when I summon one, will it have maxHP ?

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Post by Ogodei » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:54 pm

You can try but I doubt those fields are actually Calc field, which means, they aren't likely to accept formulas. What you could do, instead, is using AuraStat and AuraStatCalc columns of your summoning skills. Change the srvDoFunc to 56 and create a dummy state in states.txt, named , for instance, "DummyAuraState". Then, assign the dummy state via the AuraState column. After you've done that, you can set AuraStat1 to give the pet the stat named "mindamage" , with your formula in AuraStatCalc1 , then, you'll use AuraStat2 in order to add the stat "maxdamage" with the corresponding formula in AuraStatCalc2. Keep in mind, though, that these stats are added, not set, which means you may want to delete the damage datas from monstats.txt , as the two things together may result in an OP pet :)

EDIT: They have two hp columns because the hp of the monsters range from a minimum values to a maximum, meaning the unit can have 65 - 70 - 69 etc hp.

Return to “General Mod Making”