Mod Rollout - create a Patch_D2.MPQ from the txt files

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

fernsehen123
Germany

Mod Rollout - create a Patch_D2.MPQ from the txt files

Post by fernsehen123 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi,

I have read some posts about this and I think that I have a vague idea of how this works.
To be honest, I already clicked through everything and I think that this works. But I wanna see if there is anything else I should know...

In this Thread Mike has written how to do it,
and I use another (imo easier) technique. I do not use such an install.txt file... should I ?? :O
MikeTheGreat wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:20 pm
Next, create a file called install.txt that contains this:

O patch_d2.mpq

a uniqueitems.txt data\global\excel\uniqueitems.txt
a uniqueitems.bin data\global\excel\uniqueitems.bin

C patch_d2.mpq

Next create another file and type this : mpq2k s install.txt - and save this file as install.bat (batch file). Download MPQ2k, unzip it, and place it in your modding folder with the two install files, the modded uniqueitems.txt, and a clean patch_d2.mpq file.

Create the data\global\excel directory in your Diablo II folder (just add data folder, inside it put global, inside global put excel, then put the modded uniqueitems.txt in the excel folder.) Now, run the install.bat file in your mod folder, and take the new patch_d2.mpq, copy it into your Diablo II folder, and start playing for like 5 seconds and exit.

Come back to your data\global\excel folder and you should see uniqueitems.bin. Add this to your modding folder, run install.bat, and you've got a new patch_d2.mpq. Now you must copy the patch into your Diablo II directory and then play.
Well unfortunately I cannot use mpq2k. I am using Ladik's MPQ Editor instead, which is pretty cool so far.

What I do:
I put all my .txt files in C:\Diablo II\data\global\excel and play (with -direct -txt) for 5 seconds.
I put all data I have extracted from my Patch_D2.mpq into a d2_mod folder, I delete all .txt files in the excel folder there.
I replace all .bin files in the d2_mod folder with the ones from my game directory.
I put my patchstring.tbl into all languages: d2_mod\data\LOCAL\LNG\ESP.
In MPQ Editor I create a new MPQ: C:\Users\golem\Desktop\patch_d2.mpq.
In "Copy User Data from the following file" I put the original file: C:\Diablo II\patch_d2.mpq.
On the next page I use "Build MPQ archive from a dir" -> d2_mod.
Next, Next, Finish.
And now I can provide this Patch_D2.mpq file to my friends, and they will not (easily) be able to see all the items I put into the .txt files ??
They shall just see it when it drops :D

PS. When I want to test/play this with the MPQ, I have to remove -direct -txt from my shortcut... Right?

Best regards
Patrick

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Re: Mod Rollout - create a Patch_D2.MPQ from the txt files

Post by Nizari » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:58 pm

You don't have to play for 5 seconds. All you have to do is to open any character. You can't delete all of .txt files as game requires Sounds.txt and SoundEnviron.txt. If you will make any changes in these 2 and won't include them, then your changes won't happen. You put your patchstring.tbl in \...\ESP if your game's language is Spanish. Yes, you have to remove -direct -txt to test your patch_d2.mpq, as with these 2 game will read from your data folder instead of mpq.

fernsehen123
Germany

Post by fernsehen123 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Nizari wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:58 pm
If you will make any changes in these 2 and won't include them
I did not change those 2 files.
Do I still need to include the .txt files into the archive?

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:15 pm

No, you don't have to.

Return to “General Mod Making”